Welfare

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not to mention schools that are located in high crime/poverty areas. Those teachers don't have the tools and training needed to teach. These schools are at a great disadvantage at creating a learning environment.
I completely agree. Basing evaluations on test scores actually makes the problem worse. Many really good veteran teachers leave or won't take positions in bad areas because there just isn't job security there. What those schools are left with is brand new teachers and these Teach for America types, many of which have no clue what they're doing.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One of the best issues I have with current schools is they teach kids to remember and regurgitate.
I am amazed at the inability of high school graduates to think through an issue or problem.
I hated word problems and having to write papers to support a position when I was in high school but in retrospect, I am very grateful.
Neither my daughter or her son had these type of thinking tests and it is worse with my grandson than with my daughter.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to mention schools that are located in high crime/poverty areas. Those teachers don't have the tools and training needed to teach. These schools are at a great disadvantage at creating a learning environment.

The schools and teachers are already starting at a loss when the kids show up dead tired, hung over, high, hungry or flat-out don't want to be there.

island1fox

I would agree the entire "system" is broken BUT when you offer solutions based on accountability and punishment systems for both students and absentee parents --you are called a "facist"

If you recommend focusing on students rather than tenor or "teachers rights" you are called anti -union.

If you obviously recognize that computer based training is what the "youth" of today is interested in --you are anti job security.

If you recognize that the two main causes of poverty are lack of a high school education and a "family unit" --you are called a racist.

I see little hope of any thing changing ---just a continuing decline of America.:dissapointed:

The left calls for raising taxes and putting more money into a failing broken system that will never work --the right calls for teacher accountability with no accountability or discipline controls and procedures for uncaring students and parents that cause major disruption for all.:sick:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't need anyone to tell me whether this is true or not.....I like the writing and agree with it !!!

This was written by a 21 yr old female who gets it. It's her
future she's worried about and this is how she feels about the social
welfare big government state that she's being forced to live in! These
solutions are just common sense in her opinion.

This was in the Waco Tribune Herald, Waco , TX

PUT ME IN CHARGE . . .

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star
cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of
rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul
away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to
get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we'll
test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine. If you want to reproduce
or use drugs, alcohol, or smoke, then get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a
military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state
of repair. Your home" will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions
will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and
your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job
each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the
roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find
for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your
blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the "common good.."

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights,
realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept
our rules. Before you say that this would be "demeaning" and ruin their
"self esteem," consider that it wasn't that long ago that taking someone
else's money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self
esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we
should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The
current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

AND While you are on Gov't subsistence, you no longer can
VOTE! Yes, that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest.
You will voluntarily remove yourself from voting while you are receiving a
Gov't welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Corporations know what they are doing and how businesses run....the government has no clue and they don't follow business examples.

Corporations don't have kings, they have CEOs and they get fired if they don't do a good job.....unlike the government where slugs still work even though they do nothing, produce nothing, say nothing, are nothng, etc.

wkmac

And all the while corporate profits continue to grow. Must be some correlation?

In whom's wallet and bank account do those welfare dollars ultimately come to final rest in? As opposed from whom were they originally taken?

If the poor have to spend those dollars to live, they don't have them.

If we accept that as true, if we stopped welfare, from a purely profit motive, who would be the real loser in that action? Maybe now we might go the next step and understand who the real promoter of poverty and scarcity really is and thus who the real advocate of public welfare schemes are.

Besides, if everyone was working and had jobs, do you realize what the cost of labor could do? Think supply and demand and the effect on price. High unemployment is monopoly capital's best friend. It scares the hell out of the employed and it gives capital a buyer's market so they can crush labor costs.

"The system was never broken, it was built this way!"

island1fox

I always find this amusing and sad at the same time.
Most of the people that post on BC are spending or have spent a good part of their lives working for a Corporation.

Corporations produce goods , Provide Services and millions of jobs.
Corporations produce wealth.
Corporations produce self reliant tax paying citizens that support all Government function and programs.
Corporations pay Millions of dollars a year to those Governments.
Corporations provide millions of hours of volunteers to charitable organizations
Corporations donate goods Services and money to disasters around the world.
Corporations Provide people with growth , development and education opportunities.
Corporations keep unions in Business --without Corporate money --Unions produce -NOTHING

Sure we would all be better off without Corporations.

Eliminate the contradiction between your conscience and your life ---Quit !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I always find this amusing and sad at the same time.
Most of the people that post on BC are spending or have spent a good part of their lives working for a Corporation.

Individuals produce goods , Provide Services and millions of jobs.
Individuals produce wealth.
Individuals produce self reliant tax paying citizens that support all Government function and programs.
Individuals pay Millions of dollars a year to those Governments.
Individuals provide millions of hours of volunteers to charitable organizations
Individuals donate goods Services and money to disasters around the world.
Individuals provide people with growth , development and education opportunities.
Corporations keep unions in Business --without Corporate money --Unions produce -NOTHING

Sure we would all be better off without Corporations.

Eliminate the contradiction between your conscience and your life ---Quit !!
Replace "Corporations" with "Individuals" ... doesn't that look and sound so much better!

island1fox

Hoax,

Depends on how you are looking things.

I can agree many individuals accomplish great things through Corporations ----I also believe there are individuals that work and support themselves through Corporations --just despise them --

and --last but not least ---a lot of individuals feel entitled to mooch off of other individuals that work for Corporations ----and decry how evil the Corporations are while tweeting on their Corporation made technology gadgets.:closedeye

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Corporations ARE people! Legally anyway.
I support "Mom & Pop" and local businesses and self-employed people at every opportunity I can.
Unfortunately, I find it hard to do that for many things.
The power of the individual to accomplish big things is impractical - cars, cameras, lens, etc.

Corporations should be treated like individuals then in all ways.
Corporations are individuals yet taxes and government bureaucracy and regulations are regressive in nature - they impact smaller businesses and the self-employed to a greater extent per employee than the big corporations.

moreluck

golden ticket member
10gahs8.jpg

Ouch

Problem with a Bill like that, is those druggies will call it a disease (which it is).
So, the state will need to treat them first (pay for rehab).

And even after rehab, they have more then a good chance being returned to 1 if they fail the drug test.
So, not only will the state provide welfare, but also housing and food !
One way to do it is when they go to the doctor which we are paying for have them test them. It would not be free but hey while they are there go ahead. It would save us taxpayers money in the long run. One of those where it takes money to make money. I think anyone receiving govt assistance should be drug and alchohol tested. If you can afford drugs and alchohol you can afford food and rent in most cases.

upswife75

One way to do it is when they go to the doctor which we are paying for have them test them. It would not be free but hey while they are there go ahead. It would save us taxpayers money in the long run. One of those where it takes money to make money. I think anyone receiving govt assistance should be drug and alchohol tested. If you can afford drugs and alchohol you can afford food and rent in most cases.

Speaking as someone from a state where they passed mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients, I can tell you that it is a massive waste of money. The state of Florida LOST money by testing people because not enough people failed the test. Of course, in the case of Florida, it was all a big scheme by Governor Rick Scott to put more money in his own pocket, seeing as it was his company doing the testing. A whopping 2% tested positive. They turned around and did the same in Utah and lost money there, also, with only .25% testing positive.

oldngray

nowhere special
Speaking as someone from a state where they passed mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients, I can tell you that it is a massive waste of money. The state of Florida LOST money by testing people because not enough people failed the test. Of course, in the case of Florida, it was all a big scheme by Governor Rick Scott to put more money in his own pocket, seeing as it was his company doing the testing. A whopping 2% tested positive. They turned around and did the same in Utah and lost money there, also, with only .25% testing positive.

Maybe not many people failed the tests because people were forced to clean themselves up before being tested? It could be working very well as a deterrent.