what to expect from an ORS spying on you?

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
back when i first started trying to qualify, my on road supervisor told me that he'd be out in his personal vehicle to "observe" me on my route.
do they do this for everyone?
how often?
is it just a scare tactic or does anything come of it?
anyone got any stories?

Poop Head

Judge me.
back when i first started trying to qualify, my on road supervisor told me that he'd be out in his personal vehicle to "observe" me on my route.
how often?
anyone got any stories?
They will typically have a few different disguises.

GenericUsername

There's no gotcha game from them in most cases when they do this. They're just doing observations to see how you're doing out on the road. They'll stop you after a while to go over what they saw and give you some direction if there's any bad habits/behavior that they see. I've never had anything said to me that I took negatively.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Depending on what part of town you are in, the supervisor's car will stick out like a sore thumb. A Tesla in the middle of a bunch of pickup trucks, etc.
They will generally use the tablet to intercept a couple of drivers in a day, especially when seasonals and helpers are being used due to the increased liability (or should i say, visibility of the liability).

And seniority/years worked safely definitely factor into play. If it's peak, some of our fossils can leave the truck running in between stops and never hear about it.

Last edited:

clean hairy

Depending on what part of town you are in, the supervisor's car will stick out like a sore thumb. A Tesla in the middle of a bunch of pickup trucks, etc.
They will generally use the tablet to intercept a couple of drivers in a day, especially when seasonals and helpers are being used due to the increased liability (or should i say, visibility of the liability).

And seniority/years worked safely definitely factor into play. If it's peak, some of our fossils can leave the truck running in between stops and never hear about it.
You mean their car sticks out..
A tesla in a sea of Hoopties

rod

Retired 23 years
y).

They used to have us leave the truck running if it was a really cold day---even if they were with us. I even had one open the back door on an 8 cube because it was so hot (bulkhead door was open also). He shut the rear door after I went around a residential corner and large box fell out and roll up on some peoples lawn.

UnionGuy

When I was a helper, an ORS followed my driver. He was in a uhaul truck. He got out of the truck and confronted my driver about using not using hazard lights at a stop.

Poop Head

Judge me.
When I was a helper, an ORS followed my driver. He was in a uhaul truck. He got out of the truck and confronted my driver about using not using hazard lights at a stop.
Good. I wish they would do this more. I see so many guys not using 4 ways and even turn signals. Rolling stop signs, etc...

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Good. I wish they would do this more. I see so many guys not using 4 ways and even turn signals. Rolling stop signs, etc...
drink milk.gif

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
how often?
anyone got any stories?

They do this all the time. At least your supervisors are smart enough to take a personal vehicle. Last time I had an observation they followed me in an air van. Real incognito guys. Totally didn't know it was you.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am guilty of not using my 4 ways. I try to use them, cannot see the flashers on my dash (steering wheel blocks them.) The switch is on top of the steering column. Sometimes, it works, sometimes, not. I know that I have had days where I turned them off at the stop and turned them on when leaving.

I do not understand why all of our trucks are not equipped with the flasher switch built into the turn signal stalk. The ones that turn off when you use the turn signal.Those work well and have a positive on/off function. My current car does not make any noise when the flashers are on either.

The clowns that spec our trucks are morons.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I am guilty of not using my 4 ways. I try to use them, cannot see the flashers on my dash (steering wheel blocks them.) The switch is on top of the steering column. Sometimes, it works, sometimes, not. I know that I have had days where I turned them off at the stop and turned them on when leaving.

I do not understand why all of our trucks are not equipped with the flasher switch built into the turn signal stalk. The ones that turn off when you use the turn signal.Those work well and have a positive on/off function. My current car does not make any noise when the flashers are on either.

The clowns that spec our trucks are morons.
Yeah, that design is horrible. Dangerous, really.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yeah, that design is horrible. Dangerous, really.
Yep. I know I went through 3 intersections today with my 4 ways on. I thought I had turned them off, blah, blah, blah.

Even the tractors that we have, have better switches. Turn them on and they flash on the dash.

The best were the short stalks on the Fords. The ones with the big block V8s. They had short stalks, you could turn on the 4-ways easily and it was super easy to switch them off, just signal for a left as you are pulling out.

Poop Head

Judge me.
The best were the short stalks on the Fords. The ones with the big block V8s. They had short stalks, you could turn on the 4-ways easily and it was super easy to switch them off, just signal for a left as you are pulling out.
unnamed (1).jpg

Something like that? Thats whats in "my" pc

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Figure out what cars they drive then when you see them pull over and take lunch. Our on roads have been too busy running trips since March and training rookies to do any observations.