what to expect from an ORS spying on you?

tempTCD2

I Remember when I was close to finishing up my packet the supervisor took me into the office and had pictures of me on the route. Using hand rail to exit the vehicle and hazards lights was the two I remember. As long as you are doing everything correctly there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

ski or die

Ski or Die
Back in the old days, the ORS in our center got wind of a driver moving his household furniture during the day with the driver on the route next to him helping. So the sup hid in a cornfield waiting for them to come by. Guess he chose the wrong cornfield. Never caught them. Everybody in center knew about it and had a good laugh cause management couldn't prove anything and the drivers got all the furniture moved.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
so i made a residential delivery in a cul-de-sac and walking back to my truck i was approached by a man in a nice clean ups uniform and he asked me if i knew how to set up a meeting in my diad. briefly showed me his clipboard with the do's and don'ts columns i immediately recognized from my manual transmission training ride. he introduced himself and said he would be taking the position of my ORS who was moving to dispatch. said he'd been observing me for the last 30 stops or so. i should have known something was up when just an hour before i got a message through my diad asking me if my gps was working. i've filled out dvir's the last 4 days indicating it wasn't working and my original ORS and manager all knew every day it wasn't working.

i noticed from his clipboard that i had at least 3-4 in the good column for every 1 in the bad. things in wrong column he pointed out were carrying an irreg rather than using the hand truck. i explained to him that the large box he saw me carrying was just a lounge seat cushion, to a house where i'd delivered 5 more the day before, using the hand truck. he talked about questionable backing, where he'd seen me back into a dead end street. i cleared up that we were talking about the narrow dead end street in the poorest section of town where there are no driveways and every house has 2-3 loose dogs and just as many abandoned cars parked around their house. the trailer i was delivering to was at the very end of this "street". he said he thought i pulled a "california" rolling stop at a 3 way intersection. i asked him if he meant the 3 way intersection just 5 minutes ago where i was delivering to the house right at the stop sign where my truck was parked quite literally at the stop sign for a delivery before making a left turn, he said yes. finally, he questioned my not stopping at an intersection in a residential neighborhood where there was no stop or yield sign and i completely 100% had the right of way. he said i should expect other drivers to run through their stop signs even though he admitted i had the right of way.

on the good side, i always had 3 points of contact entering/exiting the vehicle, always used my 4 way flashers at stops, always had my seat belt on even when only going 2-3 houses away etc. we'll see what happens next week.

JJinVA

One of our supes is a real "go getter" personality. He loves coming out to do observations. I just always pretend like I dont see him... fold in my mirrors, walk faster, shout UPS as approaching the house. Soon as he talks to me and leaves, Im back in the driver seat naked again

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
One of our supes is a real "go getter" personality. He loves coming out to do observations. I just always pretend like I dont see him... fold in my mirrors, walk faster, shout UPS as approaching the house. Soon as he talks to me and leaves, Im back in the driver seat naked again

oh that was another one in the good column, he said i had a very good work pace. would be funny to see someone get written up for driving naked.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Back in the old days, the ORS in our center got wind of a driver moving his household furniture during the day with the driver on the route next to him helping. So the sup hid in a cornfield waiting for them to come by. Guess he chose the wrong cornfield. Never caught them. Everybody in center knew about it and had a good laugh cause management couldn't prove anything and the drivers got all the furniture moved.

i did this at my last delivery job. an empty 26ft straight truck with a lift gate, hand trucks, furniture dollies and straps makes moving so much easier.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have some real pipe swingers on my route that have my back. They said if anybody gives me any trouble on my route, to call them. I'm over an hour from my center and have never been stalked by management, but if they do, things gonna get ugly quick.

Fuzzy Brown

back when i first started trying to qualify, my on road supervisor told me that he'd be out in his personal vehicle to "observe" me on my route.
do they do this for everyone?
how often?
is it just a scare tactic or does anything come of it?
anyone got any stories?
They follow us and issue warning letters for infractions.