Where is Your Retirement Destination?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I thought about it, but there's so many logistics involved it becomes a crazy headache. Several areas don't allow firearms. 14 states all with different laws requires more planning. It would also require of sending my handgun back and forth to home which can be just as frustrating on trail. After adding all that up I decided on a lightweight knife
Leatherman is the best tool .Food logistics most be a big problem . Are you doing food drops every set of days ? Calorie burn is a biggy. Water ? You using polar iodine ?

tourists24

I live in New Jersey but it is not a long drive to trail heads in the surrounding states. I liked Virginia the best a little further south then I like but some of the area is spectacular. I met a guy on the trail with an English accent that gave his name as a number something like "347" he traveled very light except he carried a large cast iron skillet that he cooked everything in. He was doing the whole length . It really stuck me when backpacking and always trying to cut down the weight that someone would carry that kind of skillet for all those miles.
Well would love to meet ya when I get to that point. I know several people along the trail that I am going to meet along the way; spread out everywhere from Georgia to as far as New Hampshire. I'm also gonna use social media for all my friends and family to follow along with me

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Well would love to meet ya when I get to that point. I know several people along the trail that I am going to meet along the way; spread out everywhere from Georgia to as far as New Hampshire. I'm also gonna use social media for all my friends and family to follow along with me
The longest I have ever been on a trip is 2 weeks Rockies and Adirondacks . Most trips were long weekends on the AT or other trails to 4-5 days. God bless you doing the entire AT. I am currently trying to get in shape for some day hiking in Arizona with my brother who is a mountain goat LOL !

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 5.59.22 AM.png

Anybody have any thoughts about this where you're at? Is it accurate? Anybody move from red to dark green?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A lot depends on your income/ net worth. If you're a billionaire like Elon Musk California is definitely not tax-friendly, but if you're a working stiff it's not so bad. Real estate prices are still ridiculous though.

tourists24

Leatherman is the best tool .Food logistics most be a big problem . Are you doing food drops every set of days ? Calorie burn is a biggy. Water ? You using polar iodine ?
Filtering water along the trail. Carrying iodine tablets just in case. Food isn't as big a deal as you would think, but does take planning. Except for a few places along the trip you generally only need to carry 3-5 days worth of food. You can get a shuttle or hitch rides to towns/stores along the way. I do preplan places where my wife will be sending me supply boxes, but that's mainly for gear and/or clothing changeouts

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Living in California I have to agree it's a tax friendly state . Prop 13 ( real estate taxes ) helps a lot.
Our CA taxes come out to less than $200 a year.

But our expenses elsewhere are more. DMV fees. Water rates are higher than electricity by double.
Food is pricey but that may be everywhere.
Sales tax is about 9%.

Nevada is only 30 miles away and we thought about it since housing is much cheaper but the savings everywhere wouldnt be worth the hassle. Our home is paid for.
Sure we could pocket hundreds of thousands after selling and buying a home there in cash but all the headaches of moving.
Not worth it to us.

It's the political climate that drives us crazy. Seriously thought of moving to Idaho.
We have a daughter there.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
@tonyexpress is this all true?
I guess it's all in how you look at it. This article is talking about "taxes" and as @Jones mentioned that depends on your income bracket . When it comes to expenses that chart would flip.

Small and larger businesses don't fair well here in California. Just because a business makes or grosses a higher amount doesn't justify what they have to pay in expenses and taxes, which is the reason they call California "not business friendly". Also, regulations are not business friendly, it costs a lot more to open up a business...This means as a retiree you will be paying more because business have to charge more.

Come here and try to buy a house, the "average" medium home price is around $800k. If that's retirement friendly, have at it.

One last thing... California is a sanctuary State and there are many homeless in certain areas due to the nice weather and benefits they receive.

Last edited:

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
Living in California I have to agree it's a tax friendly state . Prop 13 ( real estate taxes ) helps a lot.
Our CA taxes come out to less than $200 a year.

But our expenses elsewhere are more. DMV fees. Water rates are higher than electricity by double.
Food is pricey but that may be everywhere.
Sales tax is about 9%.

Nevada is only 30 miles away and we thought about it since housing is much cheaper but the savings everywhere wouldnt be worth the hassle. Our home is paid for.
Sure we could pocket hundreds of thousands after selling and buying a home there in cash but all the headaches of moving.
Not worth it to us.

It's the political climate that drives us crazy. Seriously thought of moving to Idaho.
We have a daughter there.
Share what you're comfortable with, but how are your property taxes less than $200/year? Do you live in a house?