Yes or NO on NEW CONTRACT?

Will u vote yes or no on the new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bear123

UPS is one of the best blue collar jobs in America! Top salary is onver $28 per hour, for full-timers. The waiting list for full time jobs in most places is 5 years and 15 years to be a feeder driver. Take a look around you! You guys have it better than most! The Teamsters have also hobbled your #1 competitor fedex ground in California, and up coming in many other states. The 3 year wage progression is pretty standard. A guy with experience is worth more than a guy without. A part timer gets a 25% raise after 90 days? Is that really unfair? This web sight should be called the disgruntled browncafe.

Okay--Let's review what you just stated:
1) UPS is one of the best places to work. Top salary is 28 per hour.
Yeah, if you were hired before 1982. What about now. You
think 8.50 an hour is fair for a new hire? In California, in a couple of
years, 8.50 will be minimum wage.
2) A new hire gets 25% raise in 90 days. Is that really unfair?
Damned right it is unfair. What kind of motivation is it knowing you
have to work 90 working days, (that's 4 and a half months) before you
get that raise. Coupled with a new hire wont even get any benefits
for the first year and has to wait another 6 months after that before his
family is covered.

Let's put it this way, 30 years ago, UPS was the best place to work. Starting wage at that time was 6.50 an hour, which is nothing now. But considering that minimum wage was 2.00, 6.50 was a fortune then. In other wordsm that would be equivalant to minimum wage now is 7.00 and UPS starting wage is 22.00 an hour. 30 years ago, when I started, people were standing in line 50 deep to be interviewed because not only the pay, but also the benefits.
Do you think new hires now are standing in line 50 fifty deep to be interviewed? NO!!! For UPS to get new hires now, they have to offer earn and learn program. Give them $200.00 bonus if they pass a sort test. Offer a shuttle service for people who dont have means of transportation. I have heard of supervisors even going to a worker's house to pick them up. I also have heard of workers being gone a week with a no call-no show. They come back the next week and nothing happens to them. When I started, if you were a no call-no show for ONE day, you had better had a very good reason why you weren't able to come to work or you were gone. End of story. Reason being there are 50 people that would be more than happy to take your place.

And you call us disgruntled? Don't get me wrong. Being with UPS I have had my share of problems with supervisors and managers from Hell. In the long run, I am very happy where I am. Yes UPS has been good to me. I am simply concerned about the new hires. With the pay rate and no benefits for one year, the quality of work will be next to nil and that affects everybody.

Comments anyone?----By the way, I am not a supervisor. I have been a proud Teamster for 30 years.

agitator

Tentative Contract Now Online

The tentative national agreement was reviewed today in San Diego by Teamster officials from all UPS locals.

Make UPS Deliver
has posted the entire text of the tentative national deal online for your review.

We are evaluating the agreement and will publish additional bulletins summarizing new gains and new givebacks.

While many major features of the contract have already been reported by Make UPS Deliver earlier, new details have emerged. Some of them are very troubling, including:

No New Full-Time Combo Jobs: The contract provides for zero new full-time combo jobs. The language requiring 10,000 new full-time jobs is deleted. The contract even has a mechanism for reducing the number of existing combo jobs. Some of the existing 20,000 combo can be cut back when management moves trailers off the rail to create feeder work. Management is already taking trailers off the rail to improve service. Now, when the company does it, they can eliminate a full-time combination job.Part-Time Pay & Benefits Worse Than Expected: We previously reported that the part-time starting wages will be frozen at $8.50 for another six years. Now we have learned that after 90 days, part-time wages will only go up to $9.50. Part-timers will not get healthcare or holidays for the first year (family healthcare for the first 18 months).UPS Pension Offers Lower Future Accruals than Central States: The new pension plan created to break the company out of Central States provides the benefit levels that we have previously reported, including unreduced 25- and 30-and-out. However, we have now learned that future accruals will be lower than what Central States will provide.
The tentative deal also includes language changes governing supervisors working, excessive overtime, discipline based on new technology, and other issues. We will report on these and other issues soon.
Ratification ballots will be sent to every Teamster on November 5 and are due back by November 26.
Use this time to carefully scrutinize the contract. Ask questions. And talk to your fellow Teamsters.

Runner

I may have missed something in reading the contract but I don't see any mention of future accruals. It appears if you work till the end of 2014 you will receive $875 a month for working those six years from 2008. If you worked 29 years before Jan of 2008 and are 62 years old your total pension is $3775.

badpas

Tentative Contract Now Online

The tentative national agreement was reviewed today in San Diego by Teamster officials from all UPS locals.

Make UPS Deliver has posted the entire text of the tentative national deal online for your review.

We are evaluating the agreement and will publish additional bulletins summarizing new gains and new givebacks.

While many major features of the contract have already been reported by Make UPS Deliver earlier, new details have emerged. Some of them are very troubling, including:

No New Full-Time Combo Jobs: The contract provides for zero new full-time combo jobs. The language requiring 10,000 new full-time jobs is deleted. The contract even has a mechanism for reducing the number of existing combo jobs. Some of the existing 20,000 combo can be cut back when management moves trailers off the rail to create feeder work. Management is already taking trailers off the rail to improve service. Now, when the company does it, they can eliminate a full-time combination job.Part-Time Pay & Benefits Worse Than Expected: We previously reported that the part-time starting wages will be frozen at $8.50 for another six years. Now we have learned that after 90 days, part-time wages will only go up to $9.50. Part-timers will not get healthcare or holidays for the first year (family healthcare for the first 18 months).UPS Pension Offers Lower Future Accruals than Central States: The new pension plan created to break the company out of Central States provides the benefit levels that we have previously reported, including unreduced 25- and 30-and-out. However, we have now learned that future accruals will be lower than what Central States will provide.
The tentative deal also includes language changes governing supervisors working, excessive overtime, discipline based on new technology, and other issues. We will report on these and other issues soon.
Ratification ballots will be sent to every Teamster on November 5 and are due back by November 26.
Use this time to carefully scrutinize the contract. Ask questions. And talk to your fellow Teamsters.

I've read it, it does have some good things but the big issues to me still don't look right. The pension has alot of simularities from cs and on top of that if this is now a single employer pension fund that are normally insured for 4000 if it fails then why are we getting less? Please corect me if I'm wrong. I hope its because I read this so late or its definatly a NO............

satellitedriver

For UPS to get new hires now, they have to offer earn and learn program. Give them $200.00 bonus if they pass a sort test. Offer a shuttle service for people who dont have means of transportation.
Comments anyone?----By the way, I am not a supervisor. I have been a proud Teamster for 30 years.
I hope this is sarcasm.
I really could not distill the meaning, from the rest of your post.
PAX

Chop

It is not just about money. We all need all the facts. Bottom line is you need to take care of yourself...401K to the max and save 5% on top of that. Each contract will favor a group and when it is all said and done there will be someting we think they snicked in.

Braveheart

All of the PT employees will be the ones to decide the future of the contract. They out number the FT employees 3 to 1. If they don't like what is in it they will vote it down. Also, it will depend on their voter turn out. I know many at our center just throw the ballots out. Most just want to hear the money part:confused:1. I started as a casual driver. I have voted no on all the contracts during my career. Probably will again. I will make sure to get the facts not the rumors:thumbup1:. I will have 20 yrs in November. Will get my 3rd week vacation next year. It should be my 5th week.(1st 10 yrs didn't count as seniority-also no sick/or rover days or Payed vacation:mad:!) PT get all their time When moved to FT. As for me i really don't see what their complaints are. YOU WILL NEVER MAKE FT WAGE FOR 4 HRS WORK. ALSO WITH PAS UPS CAN HIRE ANYONE TO DO YOUR JOB!
Problem is I hear there are no new full time jobs being added in new contract and loop holes allowing the reduction of full time jobs too.

Braveheart

Braveheart

You say you want your raise all at once. If UPS puts up 6.1 billion dollars and let's assume there are 250,000 people that are getting some kind of benefit from this large contribtion. That comes out to $24,400./ person.

That is one hell of a raise!!!!!!!!

The proposed raises are fair in addition to the additional increases in health and welfare. Maybe the real route of the problem is that the dues need to be far above the current levels. Despite the fact that UPS contributes to my benefits, health, dental, eye care, disability insurance, life insurance etc.... It costs me almost $300.00/ month out of my pocket.

You also know what, as a stock holder, I'm not happy about $6.1 billion dollars going towards fixing this CS Mess.

Rmember the big fish always eats the little ones
I am not happy about the whole CS mess either but I did not vote for the last contract because I knew this would happen! I said vote no and extend contract talks. This time we do not have to lenghten the talks since we still have 9 plus months to go! I did not vote for Hoffa either!

18wheelbrownie

I am not happy about the whole CS mess either but I did not vote for the last contract because I knew this would happen! I said vote no and extend contract talks. This time we do not have to lenghten the talks since we still have 9 plus months to go! I did not vote for Hoffa either!
you didn't hoffa and hall were really going to deliver roses this time again!:ohmy:

18wheelbrownie

Hit the nail on the head!!!!!! Most of us do not mind taking smaller raises but all the give backs and split raises are BS!!!!! Do the UPS shippers pay half their bill on the 1st of the month and half on the 15th???? NO they pay the bill in full when done!!!!! I want my raise all at once thank you! It sure seems like there were FEW if any real improvements to work conditions, grievance procedures, new full time jobs, and protecting full time jobs that we had!!! We had 3 drivers quit and 2 go into management with cover drivers replacing them!!!
agree:thumbup1:

bear123

Problem is I hear there are no new full time jobs being added in new contract and loop holes allowing the reduction of full time jobs too.

If there ever was a reason for a part timer to vote on a contract this is it. Assuming they want to make UPS their career, but still want to go full time, it is imperative to them to vote NO on this contract. As somebody said, they out-number full timers 3-1.
Speaking of full time and art. 22 I didn't see any language whatsoever as far as what present full timers are allowed to do as far as extra work, over time, super saturday, etc. Without language UPS can do whatever it wants because it is not in the contract.

J

Joe in Tacoma

NO! NO! NO! on the contract. Read it well everyone. We got hosed. For the first six months of the new contract we will get 1/3 of what last years raise was and for the next six months we will get 2/3 of what last years pay raise was. Add it up!! Looks like a 50 cents an hour raise then look at those amounts over many years. Oh! Yes, did I mention that UPS made record profits over the last several years. I think alot of other things were given away also.
Joe in Tacoma

I downloaded contract from the Teamsters.org site. As I see it this contract
has to many holes in it. The language can be interpreted several different
ways. The Pension plan is back to where it was prior to 2004. There are
no guarantees for New Full time positions, the raises are a joke for a company
that makes Billions in profits, and this is just the tip of the ice berg, I could rant on and on but won't, simply put, I'll VOTE NO !

sawdusttv

I downloaded contract from the Teamsters.org site. As I see it this contract
has to many holes in it. The language can be interpreted several different
ways. The Pension plan is back to where it was prior to 2004. There are
no guarantees for New Full time positions, the raises are a joke for a company
that makes Billions in profits, and this is just the tip of the ice berg, I could rant on and on but won't, simply put, I'll VOTE NO !
I agree, except for one thing. The pension is actually back where it was prior to the 97' strike. If this contract is passed, by the end of this contract it will be 16 years since our last pension increase here in CS.

Fullhouse

Agitor....What was full scale in 1997? I think it was about $19 or $20 an hour. In ten years that's about a 40% increase in wages alone, not counting med, dent, pension. UPS couldn't afford to increase everybodys pay by 600%. Fill out your proxy and vote for new boardmembers if you don't like it. Find me a CEO that doesn't make that kind of money.

CEO of COSCO his base salary is about $350,000 a year:thumbup1: