10 step pay raises

vantexan

Yep I never got a raise bigger than 6.5%. He said he did based on his review. Then he complained that he was forced to work around people that made more money AND got bigger raises. If I never got a raise bigger than 6.5% and he claimed he worked around topped out people that got bigger raises, that is a lie.
Read my last post. It's not my fault you have trouble following but that doesn't make me a liar.

dezguy

Yep I never got a raise bigger than 6.5%. He said he did based on his review. Then he complained that he was forced to work around people that made more money AND got bigger raises. If I never got a raise bigger than 6.5% and he claimed he worked around topped out people that got bigger raises, that is a lie.
I got a 7% raise...

vantexan

That makes me remember when we were getting up to 7% raises, the point being to catch us up to top out. I remember topped out guys saying it was unfair that we got raises that big and they didn't. Yeah, they were making $5hr to over $6hr more than us, but it was unfair. Sheesh.

BootsOnTarmac

This thread was started by FEDXMAN. After the 1st page it became a pissing match between a few members with nothing contributing to the OP's first post. I suggest that if you have nothing to say contributing to the OP's question, start your own thread.

Yes, this is Browncafe. The MODS may not give a care what goes on in the FedEx Discussions.

Since this is the best forum on the web for FedEx issues, we need to focus on answering posters with quality info, not rants diverging from the OP's thread.

Schweddy

Balls
The more OldWaft talks, the less credible. He talks and types like a 20-30yo and is out of this world judgmental. He's 1 in a million at finding work at FedEx at just the right time, 1 in a million at working at the perfect station, 1 in a million brown noser / snitch, 1 in a million with perfect retirement. Hooters girls? really?

Pick-up Lines for the Narcissistic-Chauvinist

Oldfart

The more OldWaft talks, the less credible. He talks and types like a 20-30yo and is out of this world judgmental. He's 1 in a million at finding work at FedEx at just the right time, 1 in a million at working at the perfect station, 1 in a million brown noser / snitch, 1 in a million with perfect retirement. Hooters girls? really?

Pick-up Lines for the Narcissistic-Chauvinist
Man yea. They park our car when we drive rhru the gate and then handle my equipment when I clock in. The women couriers complain because they want some Chipendale men in there as well but so far our SM hasn't approved that.

refineryworker05

You do tell the truth about the traditional. But in today's workforce, a traditional pension is a thing in the past. It barely exists. The portable has a few advantages that the traditional didn't. If a person was single, the traditional had no provision to leave your pension to anyone other than a spouse. You die, it went away. The portable can be left to anyone. If a person is counting on a pension alone to retire on, he will be eating beenie weenies in retirement. You retire on your 401k and your pension will supplement that. Your traditional was about 50% of your best 5 years salary. If you want to live comfortably in retirement, you better have more than 50% coming in.

I have a pension and a 401k. Imo, the pension is far superior. The pension is guaranteed money every month for the rest of your life. Money coming in every month for the rest of your life can not be beaten.

Even if it is less money than you thought you were gonna get because the company lied and stole your pension or didn't fund it in the first place as they agreed to do.

If your pension is backed up by the PBGC, even if your employer goes bankrupt, you'll probably get something. Whereas the 401k if it runs out of money that is it.

If one looks at the actual performance of 401k's for most workers and compares that performance to a pension, there is no contest for which has provided better retirement income for workers who have them.

The issue with pensions is how they are or aren't financed that can and should be changed by law.

To me 401k's for most workers is a bad deal in terms of retirement savings. It performs terribly for most workers as a retirement vehicle.

zerocool5468

Can someone give me the annotated version of what the pension equates to for a newhire? The entirety of what Ive heard is that the company contributes 5-6% to it yearly.

Oldfart

Company puts in 8% of last years gross income every June. I just got last years. That money then draws 1% each qtr.

Oldfart

I have a pension and a 401k. Imo, the pension is far superior. The pension is guaranteed money every month for the rest of your life. Money coming in every month for the rest of your life can not be beaten.

Even if it is less money than you thought you were gonna get because the company lied and stole your pension or didn't fund it in the first place as they agreed to do.

If your pension is backed up by the PBGC, even if your employer goes bankrupt, you'll probably get something. Whereas the 401k if it runs out of money that is it.

If one looks at the actual performance of 401k's for most workers and compares that performance to a pension, there is no contest for which has provided better retirement income for workers who have them.

The issue with pensions is how they are or aren't financed that can and should be changed by law.

To me 401k's for most workers is a bad deal in terms of retirement savings. It performs terribly for most workers as a retirement vehicle.
My 401k is FAR superior to my pension. Even though I have 2 pensions, my 401k is gonna allow me to retire comfortably

McFeely

Huge Member
Company puts in 8% of last years gross income every June. I just got last years. That money then draws 1% each qtr.

I just checked my retirement account online (portable pension) and mine appears to be more like 5% of my last year's gross. It certainly isn't 8% for me.

vantexan

I believe once your vested it's based on age but I could be wrong.
It's a points system based on age + years of service. Everyone starts at 3%, then 5, 7, 9%. Why Old Fart only gets 8% is beyond me. You need 75 points to reach 9%. So if hired on at 25, you'll have 75 points at age 50.