2018 Contract leaks

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Your plan pays per hour (up to 8). Mine pays per week. As I stated, every plan is unique.
BTW, the "union" doesn't get a dime of these payments.

Please explain how that works. I am not saying it doesn't work that way but at the rate UPS burns through part timers I find it hard to believe UPS pays the full weekly amount for the 10-15 part timers that walk out at break each and every week and have to be replaced with another 10-15. Even with that simple scenario UPS would be making an extra 40-65 H&W and pension payments a month! UPS can be a bit clueless at times but that is a bit far even for them.

As for "the union doesn't get a dime," I doubt UPS pays it directly to BC/BS and Prudential. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that its paid to the union every month and the union holds it in their accounts until the end of the quarter at which point the union then makes the quarterly payment to BC/BS and Prudential.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
And now it’s being enacted into feeder departments that were always full time. Why? Waaaaayyyyy cheaper. That’s a $7500 reduction in income per year on 40 hours. UPS won.

It would be $7500 a year if you worked exactly 10 hours each day. Most of our 4 day runs get 11+ hours a day so that number isn't accurate since your 4th day would hit OT early because you are over 40 hours.

You really need to get over the thought UPS is getting over on people with 4 day runs. In my hub there are high seniority drivers who choose 4 day runs over mileage runs.

You choose money over time off but many of us are more concerned about family time and doing other things we like. I'm sure as hell not giving up my weekend to go to a dentist or doctor. An extra $20k isn't that important to me.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It would be $7500 a year if you worked exactly 10 hours each day. Most of our 4 day runs get 11+ hours a day so that number isn't accurate since your 4th day would hit OT early because you are over 40 hours.

You really need to get over the thought UPS is getting over on people with 4 day runs. In my hub there are high seniority drivers who choose 4 day runs over mileage runs.

You choose money over time off but many of us are more concerned about family time and doing other things we like. I'm sure as hell not giving up my weekend to go to a dentist or doctor. An extra $20k isn't that important to me.
What general area are you at where you have runs that are 4x10??? And how large is your particular feeder Dept??

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Sorry. I didn’t know it was about you.

dudebro

I thought the whole “scan at the delivery point” thingy put an end to this practice.
Deliver it by the methods with a DIAD and drop the DIAD in a letter box after the last stop. PM driver gets it, OMS combines it with another board, and voy-o-la, problems all solved, air got delivered, and we hit stops per cah.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
What general area are you at where you have runs that are 4x10??? And how large is your particular feeder Dept??

Atlantic

Medium sized, nowhere near a Jacksonville or Whites Creek.

From speaking to other drivers at meet points I had assumed most feeder departments we're running similar schedules. We meet drivers from at least 3 other supplements here, there are so many supplements I guess that may not be the case.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Sorry. I didn’t know it was about you.

I'm just saying there are bigger fish to fry.

Our Union letter said some of our buildings have 9% retention in some buildings for part-time employees. That makes everyone's job more difficult. Feeders get out late, preload quality is bad to begin but even worse because of late trailers which makes package suck more than it should most days.

Part-time employees have been scewed over way too much in n the past decade or so. They finally throw them a small starting wage increase but follow it with smaller yearly raises on their anniversary date. On top of that they also make them work longer to receive insurance.

The beginnings of a two tiered wage have started with a 4 year progression. Should a person in year two work the same hours as you for $50k less per year?

Now I see in the ups propaganda magazine they have order 25,000 phones which sound like the things they will try to use with personal delivery people.

dudebro

I'm just saying there are bigger fish to fry.

Our Union letter said some of our buildings have 9% retention in some buildings for part-time employees. That makes everyone's job more difficult. Feeders get out late, preload quality is bad to begin but even worse because of late trailers which makes package suck more than it should most days.

Part-time employees have been scewed over way too much in n the past decade or so. They finally throw them a small starting wage increase but follow it with smaller yearly raises on their anniversary date. On top of that they also make them work longer to receive insurance.

The beginnings of a two tiered wage have started with a 4 year progression. Should a person in year two work the same hours as you for $50k less per year?

Now I see in the ups propaganda magazine they have order 25,000 phones which sound like the things they will try to use with personal delivery people.
And carwashers

Inthegame

Please explain how that works. I am not saying it doesn't work that way but at the rate UPS burns through part timers I find it hard to believe UPS pays the full weekly amount for the 10-15 part timers that walk out at break each and every week and have to be replaced with another 10-15. Even with that simple scenario UPS would be making an extra 40-65 H&W and pension payments a month! UPS can be a bit clueless at times but that is a bit far even for them.

As for "the union doesn't get a dime," I doubt UPS pays it directly to BC/BS and Prudential. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that its paid to the union every month and the union holds it in their accounts until the end of the quarter at which point the union then makes the quarterly payment to BC/BS and Prudential.
I was referring to full time pension, however part timer's H&W is now under TeamCare which receives payments from UPS only after the pt employee reaches 12 months of seniority.
Don't make bad bets. It would be illegal for both UPS to remit, and the union to accept your scenario.
UPS pays the negotiated amount to benefit trust funds directly for each covered employee.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was referring to full time pension, however part timer's H&W is now under TeamCare which receives payments from UPS only after the pt employee reaches 12 months of seniority.
With this in mind, it's not far fetched to think UPS thoroughly enjoys the high turnover rate for part time employees?

When I was hired in 1986 as a part timer, I received full benefits after 30 days.
How in the hell did the Union allow such radical concessions to a company with the success record of UPS?

Doesn't instill much confidence for future negotiations.
I sincerely hope thiings are different this time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How does that differ from the Union keeping all pension monies paid for those employees, both PT and FT, who do not stick around long enough to be vested?

Or how about those young PTers who never use their health benefits?