2018 Contract leaks

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Some of the regulars over in Romper Room are talking about a rumored buyout. I haven’t heard anything about this.

Has anyone else heard these rumors and, if so, what is the Company supposedly willing to offer to get us senior guys to leave?

Sign me up! Let me know if you hear more details.

We are talking about the payments UPS makes to the union. UPS pays the Teamsters a set amount per hour for Health and Well fare and a set amount for Pensions......UP TO 8 HOURS PER DAY PER PERSON. So if a driver A works 12 hours and driver B works 12 hours UPS pays the union 16 times the set hourly rate. The union then uses the monies to provide us our Health care insurance and our pensions. If the UPS uses 3 drivers who work 8 hours each then the company would pay the Union 24 hours worth!

REMEMBER THAT :censored2: WHEN YOU GET THE LETTER SAYING YOUR PENSION IS IN THE RED AND ONLY 60% FUNDED THE SAME DAY DISPATCH GAVE YOU 11,5 HOURS!!!!
No, I have been compensated for 1975 hours this year. So 1975 X hourly contribution rate have been credited to my pension. I usually cap out by mid November (2080 hours). None of those contributions are sent to the union.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
No, I have been compensated for 1975 hours this year. So 1975 X hourly contribution rate have been credited to my pension. I usually cap out by mid November (2080 hours). None of those contributions are sent to the union.

You are confusing the word "compensated" with the word "credited" in the first sentence. The second and third are wrong. You have been recorded as having worked 1975 hours of the 2080 hours required for "1 years pension credit." As for the last part, you believe UPS sends a check directly to our pension plan admins correct? I think UPS sends a check to the Teamsters every week just like payroll sends a check to each one of us. I think the Teamsters collects that money and holds it until the end of or the beginning of the quarter and then makes that payment.

I need you and everyone to understand how it really works as it has been explained to me, the man behind the curtain if you will.

UPS pays a set amount per hour for Pensions and Health & Welfare (Insurance-medical/dental/vision. I imagine disability also but I can not say for sure.) I have been told this payment is in the $15 an hour range (that's secondhand information so take it for what its worth.) Here is the important part; That payment is only for the first 8 hours! After the 8 hour mark UPS no longer has to pay that! So by working 2 drivers 12 hours each instead of 3 drivers 8 hours each the company skips out on making 8 hours of payments to OUR PENSION.

You are confusing the word "compensated" with the word "credited" in the first sentence. The second and third are wrong. You have been recorded as having worked 1975 hours of the 2080 hours required for "1 years pension credit." As for the last part, you believe UPS sends a check directly to our pension plan admins correct? I think UPS sends a check to the Teamsters every week just like payroll sends a check to each one of us. I think the Teamsters collects that money and holds it until the end of or the beginning of the quarter and then makes that payment.

I need you and everyone to understand how it really works as it has been explained to me, the man behind the curtain if you will.

UPS pays a set amount per hour for Pensions and Health & Welfare (Insurance-medical/dental/vision. I imagine disability also but I can not say for sure.) I have been told this payment is in the $15 an hour range (that's secondhand information so take it for what its worth.) Here is the important part; That payment is only for the first 8 hours! After the 8 hour mark UPS no longer has to pay that! So by working 2 drivers 12 hours each instead of 3 drivers 8 hours each the company skips out on making 8 hours of payments to OUR PENSION.
Nope, not how my pension works at all. But thanks for trying. I have not had any pension contributions in December since about 2002. When the money is sent in, I don't know, but the money is sent directly to the pension plan. One year pension credit is 500 hours I believe. It is also funded at about 91-92%.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That's only if the 3rd driver doesn't get enough hours for the year for full credit.

Not an issue here. Work one day a month and they pay the full months H&W

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Nope, not how my pension works at all. But thanks for trying. I have not had any pension contributions in December since about 2002. When the money is sent in, I don't know, but the money is sent directly to the pension plan. One year pension credit is 500 hours I believe. It is also funded at about 91-92%.
Isn't it 2080 for west coast pension yearly credit

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

500 for a FTer?

For FTers? Ours is 1000 and that is too low.
Yes

Q. Do I earn a PEER point based on my anniversary dates with my employer? How are the 500 hours counted for PEER points?
A. No. The Plan uses a calendar year for determining whether you have earned a year of contributory service towards your PEER points. For each calendar year that you work at least 500 covered hours under a PEER pension agreement, you earn a point.

Dr.Brownz

That's not what I'm saying. I don't hear guys complaining about 6 PM pickups. What I do hear is guys complaining about finishing their res at 745, 800, or even 830. If they can get all their deliveries off before the pickup trace, it makes days a lot easier. Not to mention there will always be OT whores that would take those late PU routes if they had the opportunity.

Plus, why do we have to start everyone at the same time? Right now, it makes sense, because we're tight on air. But if you can realistically get guys out at 8AM, you can still start guys at 9AM or 10AM, to keep their paid day down and still keep a reasonable day

The contract currently allows you to start two routes per center at noon to meet the needs of our customers.

There would be fights over who's route starts when and fights over who's route the company wanted to decide to make an early or later start.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The contract currently allows you to start two routes per center at noon to meet the needs of our customers.

There would be fights over who's route starts when and fights over who's route the company wanted to decide to make an early or later start.
We've had staggered start times for years, it's not a big deal. Earliest routes start at 0600-0630 and run early AMs, the latest routes start 0930-1000 and make drop box pickups. No fights yet.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes

Q. Do I earn a PEER point based on my anniversary dates with my employer? How are the 500 hours counted for PEER points?
A. No. The Plan uses a calendar year for determining whether you have earned a year of contributory service towards your PEER points. For each calendar year that you work at least 500 covered hours under a PEER pension agreement, you earn a point.
Interesting....so if I had 25 years in and worked 500 hours for each of my last 5 years I would have my peer 80 and would have my "full" pension??

35years

Gravy route
Some of the regulars over in Romper Room are talking about a rumored buyout. I haven’t heard anything about this.

Has anyone else heard these rumors and, if so, what is the Company supposedly willing to offer to get us senior guys to leave?

Be advised buyouts are usually bad deals for retirees.
But if you have a terminal condition...perhaps not.

Anyone offered a buy out should at least be informed before making a decision.
Paying a professional to evaluate the offer is probally best, but there are tools online as well...

Very basic calculator below, other are more precise.
A buyout in my case would have to exceed $1,000,000 to be valued fairly.
Years to retirement, age, physical condition, spousal benefit, and expected investment return all play a role in the decision. Also consider the health of the plan and the possibility of a future reduction in benefits.

Maximize Your Pension With This Calculator

Dr.Brownz

We've had staggered start times for years, it's not a big deal. Earliest routes start at 0600-0630 and run early AMs, the latest routes start 0930-1000 and make drop box pickups. No fights yet.

If your whole center is set up that way from the start and start times are in the bids it is one thing but our center has had the same start time forever and all routes are dispatched based on that one start time.