Air conditioning

100%

money spent on ac is money that cant go to shareholders. they are not spending the money on you, theyre spending it on themselves.

You are at work 40 hours a week. do you want to suffer lol?
And how long do you go without AC when it’s broke?

drenched

I get a paycheck from UPS so they are spending some money on me.

I work twilight pt and have unloaded the trucks and have delivered seasonal

With me the heat isn't really suffering. When it's hot I drink water and dress light and shower after work. Its really all good. No different really than outdoor summer sports practices when I was in school. I'm also sort of into going green so thats another reason I'm not into ac

I can understand that somebody else may think different about how important a.c. is and thats cool but I think its wrong to think getting a.c. won't cost workers and also the environment something
UPS is part of the problem. they distribute throw away culture which is unsustainable and its the economy.
I'm sorry there's been insults toward you. I try to debate ideas and not make anything personal...

You quoted me but didn't really address what I said....Instead you took the conversation in a different direction bringing up totally different but real problems...

In general I believe we need to be careful not to impose solutions that are worse than the very real problem we are trying to solve...

I am all for sustainability and simpler living...but I don't think it's right to be blaming UPS for distributing our throw away culture any more than we should blame well stocked grocery stores and productive farms for so many people's obesity... Nor would I want the government to impose food rations on all of us to fight this real obesity problem...or have to ask a government official for permission to buy a shirt because way too many people have far more clothes than they need or even wear...Instead this is where personal responsibility and good decision making needs to come in...

We can't come up with a solution for all the world's problems in this one bc thread but I am really glad you care about sustainability and by my writing here i see that environmental worries are a bigger part of why I'm not for a.c. than I had realized before...

Since we both care about our environmental impact I would like to invite you to join the other side and instead of pushing for a.c. let's instead push for other more sustainable things like just better ventilation in the cargo area or the coolest possible uniform design

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm sorry there's been insults toward you. I try to debate ideas and not make anything personal...

You quoted me but didn't really address what I said....Instead you took the conversation in a different direction bringing up totally different but real problems...

In general I believe we need to be careful not to impose solutions that are worse than the very real problem we are trying to solve...

I am all for sustainability and simpler living...but I don't think it's right to be blaming UPS for distributing our throw away culture any more than we should blame well stocked grocery stores and productive farms for so many people's obesity... Nor would I want the government to impose food rations on all of us to fight this real obesity problem...or have to ask a government official for permission to buy a shirt because way too many people have far more clothes than they need or even wear...Instead this is where personal responsibility and good decision making needs to come in...

We can't come up with a solution for all the world's problems in this one bc thread but I am really glad you care about sustainability and by my writing here i see that environmental worries are a bigger part of why I'm not for a.c. than I had realized before...

Since we both care about our environmental impact I would like to invite you to join the other side and instead of pushing for a.c. let's instead push for other more sustainable things like just better ventilation in the cargo area or the coolest possible uniform design

No disrespect to your post.... but, my eyeballs hurt.

drenched

No disrespect to your post.... but, my eyeballs hurt.
I get it...but sometimes I find it impossible to respond to what someone said in one or two sentences...

The world and life are complicated and trying to reduce everything to a quick bumper sticker slogan creates its own serious problems a lot of times

Scary thought...I actually try and work on keeping things shorter...

Thanks for reminding me if the value of trying to keep things shorter

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I get it...but sometimes I find it impossible to respond to what someone said in one or two sentences...

The world and life are complicated and trying to reduce everything to a quick bumper sticker slogan creates its own serious problems a lot of times

Scary thought...I actually try and work on keeping things shorter...

Hi

My name is BUG....

rickyb

when ppl insult ppl, they diss themselves

yea i agree something needs to be done about the heat. maybe shorter shifts. i was driving home last night and this ups driver still on the road at 10pm.

i think we can blame food corporations for people's health problems. its not all their fault though

america did rationing during wwII and nixon did something too during the inflation. i think they worked.

the real problem is power. capitalism and government concentrate too much power and it corrupts. we need everyone participating in power; in the decisions of their lives.

rickyb

And how long do you go without AC when it’s broke?
i get heat sick pretty easy. i used to work at rental cars, all the cars had a/c, i was forced to wear pants and long sleeved shirt, and that was enough to make me very sick. i had very little sun exposure.

drenched

i get heat sick pretty easy. i used to work at rental cars, all the cars had a/c, i was forced to wear pants and long sleeved shirt, and that was enough to make me very sick. i had very little sun exposure.
We're different here and this may affect our attitudes. I take heat pretty well and don't even have a.c. at home. Busted years ago and I'm too cheap to fix it and just don't care. I like always wear shorts summers and probably something sleeveless and its all good...for real...

drenched

when ppl insult ppl, they diss themselves

yea i agree something needs to be done about the heat. maybe shorter shifts. i was driving home last night and this ups driver still on the road at 10pm.

i think we can blame food corporations for people's health problems. its not all their fault though

america did rationing during wwII and nixon did something too during the inflation. i think they worked.

the real problem is power. capitalism and government concentrate too much power and it corrupts. we need everyone participating in power; in the decisions of their lives.
I really like and agree with your last paragraph but I believe it also basically contradicts most of what you say up to that point...

When government says we have to ration something that is a concentration of power and moves away from letting people participate in the decisions of their lives

I think we would both agree that food corporations should have to follow some basic government set standards on safe and clean food packaging and stuff but eating a healthy diet as opposed to junk food I believe needs to rest with each person. Like you said so well...don't concentrate power which will corrupt but rather let people participate in the decisions of their lives. Let each person decide whether they'll eat a baked potato or potato chips...

We agree that something should be done about the heat and i also like what you said about shorter shifts. No UPS driver who started at 9am should still be out at 10 pm except for maybe in a very rare exception...Only thing is I am surprised how many guys actually seem to really want all the o t. The extra work sheet for full timers fills up in my center. Go figure...

With issues of o t or a c this is where I feel much more comfortable having the union negotiate with our input rather than have something imposed from the feds so that power and authority is less concentrated and we play a bigger role in the decisions of our lives

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I really like and agree with your last paragraph but I believe it also basically contradicts most of what you say up to that point...

When government says we have to ration that is a concentration of power and moves away from letting people participate in the decisions of their lives

I think we would both agree that food corporations should have to follow some basic government set standards on safe and clean food packaging and stuff but eating a healthy diet as opposed to junk food I believe needs to rest with each person. Like you said so well...don't concentrate power which will corrupt but rather let people participate in the decisions of their lives. Let each person decide whether they'll eat a baked potato or potato chips...

We agree that something should be done about the heat and i also like what you said about shorter shifts. No UPS driver who started at 9am should still be out at 10 pm except for maybe in a very rare exception...Only thing is I am surprised how many guys actually seem to really want all the o t. The extra work sheet for full timers fills up in my center. Go figure...

With issues of o t or a c this is where I feel much more comfortable having the union negotiate with our input rather than have something imposed from the feds so that power and authority is less concentrated and we play a bigger role in the decisions of our lives
You found a fellow traveler. Lol

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I love all the northern drivers complaining about the cold and the heat not working while crapping on the guys down south who are complaining about not having ac and are too hot. You can't please everyone. Vent the cargo area better, give the guys up north some better heat, then force those bastards down here in August for a week to do some work when the back of the cargo area is hitting 160 degrees.
Why you back there so long? Follow the methods.

rickyb

When government says we have to ration something that is a concentration of power and moves away from letting people participate in the decisions of their lives

government is theoretically democracy which is not centralized power. a democratic system would have everyone either directly voting on things OR everyone would get together and decide on something and then elect a representative to carry out the plans. but what we currently have is centralized power in govt and corporations and representatives proposing ideas and corrupted by big money, and everyone are passive consumers and just vote for the representative with the best proposal.

unions have never given me a reasonable amount of paid vacation, and ive worked alot of union jobs including hospital. thats why i am skeptical that they have enough power.

im not sure what better food regulations there need to be, center for science in the public interest and nutrition action would know. i know theres a list of unsafe chemicals in our food and its on the market, so that should be banned.