Alison vs Mitch

brett636

In your fairy tale, if a union President gave his know nothing neighbor a "cushy union representation" job (whatever that is), said union President should and would be voted out in a RTW or Fair bargaining state.
Elections are the control members need. Not paying dues is freeloading in every case for any reason.

Elections are controlled by those who count the votes...Not paying dues may be the only way to get your voice heard if your representation is not fair.

Brown Spider

Elections are controlled by those who count the votes...Not paying dues may be the only way to get your voice heard if your representation is not fair.

Those who count the votes have no control over the outcome of a local union election. There are stringent rules in place that protect the chain of custody of the ballot. Candidates, whether incumbents or challengers, have no access to the ballots. Today, most local unions contract with an independent election service to administer all aspects of the election and the DOL takes a dim view of any election improprieties.

Not paying dues does NOTHING to get your voice heard! It may allow you to justify your freeloading status...but no one is hearing your voice.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Those who count the votes have no control over the outcome of a local union election. There are stringent rules in place that protect the chain of custody of the ballot. Candidates, whether incumbents or challengers, have no access to the ballots. Today, most local unions contract with an independent election service to administer all aspects of the election and the DOL takes a dim view of any election improprieties.

Not paying dues does NOTHING to get your voice heard! It may allow you to justify your freeloading status...but no one is hearing your voice.
Really because I would think if the Union doesn't have any money they might want to do something about that.

Unless you're insinuating that they use our health and pension monies to line their own pockets?

Brown Spider

It's about choice. I agree everyone should have a choice in joining the union or not.

I don't agree with how the law is currently written though.

You've always had that choice! Whether you're in a RTW state or not, you've always had the option to pay an agency fee in lieu of full union dues. That would entail payment of a lesser fee attributed to representation and negotiations only. Maybe not as attractive to the hardcore freeloaders...but it would probably make those of us who are carrying you feel a bit better.

Brown Spider

The agency fee in my local is 99% of our dues.

Hard to believe, Dave. The 1988 Beck decision by the Supreme Court held that agency fees must not exceed that amount which the union can prove is attributed to collective bargaining and representation. Your local union is spending nothing on political action or other activities unrelated to bargaining and representation? And they can prove it?

Brown Spider

Really because I would think if the Union doesn't have any money they might want to do something about that.

Unless you're insinuating that they use our health and pension monies to line their own pockets?

Not insinuating that at all. Never even mentioned health and pension monies! It's unlikely that a handful of RTW freeloaders would have an adverse effect on a local union's finances. However, if that number of RTW freeloaders were to grow, especially within the confines of 1 bargaining unit, the local union may well decide to act in the best interest of the overall membership and disclaim interest in the group that has become a financial burden.

Bottom line...the only voice that union leaders are going to listen to is the voice of an active and involved membership that attends union meetings, asks questions and holds those leaders accountable at election time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hard to believe, Dave. The 1988 Beck decision by the Supreme Court held that agency fees must not exceed that amount which the union can prove is attributed to collective bargaining and representation. Your local union is spending nothing on political action or other activities unrelated to bargaining and representation? And they can prove it?

In '97 we had a driver who wanted to opt out of the union and that was the figure quoted to him.

Ron Carey lives on

Been doing a little reading about these crazy unions. Did you know guys and gals died on picket lines. Why didn't they just go to work and do what their boss said. I know smurf stands at attention when his center manager walks in and says " sir yes sir can you give me some more stops today sir" isn't the way it works. Just saying these crazy antics of these union guys are out of control, darnett!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Been doing a little reading about these crazy unions. Did you know guys and gals died on picket lines. Why didn't they just go to work and do what their boss said. I know smurf stands at attention when his center manager walks in and says " sir yes sir can you give me some more stops today sir" isn't the way it works. Just saying these crazy antics of these union guys are out of control, darnett!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
This isn't 1940.

brett636

You keep telling yourself that and living in your fantasy land. I have only voted for union hall officials once, and it became quickly apparent to me during my experience that the outcome had been predetermined prior to casting my vote.

brett636

Not paying dues is the fast track to having your voice extinguished in the work place.

Really? Because as I see it nearly half of the states in this country have RTW laws and my understanding is every UPS facility located in these states are still union...

Inthegame

You keep telling yourself that and living in your fantasy land. I have only voted for union hall officials once, and it became quickly apparent to me during my experience that the outcome had been predetermined prior to casting my vote.
Fantasy land? Please grace us with an explanation of how you've come to this conclusion with your vast union election experience. Have you ever attended a vote count? Do you have any idea of the safeguards in the process? I didn't think so.
If corporate America had half the scrutiny unions have, there'd be a whole lotta white collars in jail.

Inthegame

Really? Because as I see it nearly half of the states in this country have RTW laws and my understanding is every UPS facility located in these states are still union...
Read NM Art 1. The law requires the IBT to represent UPS employees, even freeloaders in RTW states.

brett636

Read NM Art 1. The law requires the IBT to represent UPS employees, even freeloaders in RTW states.

If the locals were bankrupt it wouldn't matter what the NM says. I'm still not convinced that having choice in this matter is hurting anything or anyone.