Archives

R

retired1

We just got back from Maui. We stayed at the Westin this time which was very nice. Kaanapali was a favorite with my kids and grandkids so we pretty much stayed in that area. The area was a little crowded but we had a great time.

My grandcildren love to snorkel and Black Rock is within walking distance and a nice spot where they can swim out a little way and see a lot of fish and we can still feel they are close enough to the shore to be safe.

Downtown was churning with people every night. The kids loved the excitement. If it were up to me I'd like something a little less crowded but then they'd probably get bored so it actually was ideal for this trip. There were a few celebrities on the beach one day but I had no idea who they were but it got the kids all excited so it was a lot of fun.

On a scale of 1 to 10 as a vacation spot to take your extended family I'd give Kaanapali a 8.

C

cheryl

In Hawaii we like the Hyatt Regency on Kauai, it's a wonderful hotel in a beautiful area. Of all the places we've stayed in Hawaii it is by far our very favorite. They have a wonderful pool that goes on for acres with slides and a lagoon that you can kayak in.

Maui is nice too, we went there spring break of 1999 and stayed at the Hyatt near Kaanapali. The hotel was nice but not nearly as nice as the one on Kauai. Both Hyatt's have a lovely restaurant with a nice breakfast buffet included with the room. This arrangement worked out very well for our family. There is a little pond with swans, Koi and other creatures that extends into the dining rooms at the Hyatt on both islands. It became our morning's entertatinment and we looked forward every morning to seeing what the creatures were up to.

While in Maui we walked through the Westin which is right next door to the Hyatt. It looked like a good hotel and if we ever return to Kaanapali it would probably be the one we would try.

While in Maui we snorkeled at Black Rock just like Retired1's family did, it's perfect for kids. The water was a bit murky when we were there but we saw a ton of beautiful fish anyway. Kaanapali was very crowded but because it was spring break that was inevitable everywhere.

Our daughter liked all the excitement downtown but I agree with Retired1, I prefer a less crowded destination. Our 13 year old loved it though...

M

moreluck

Some of my favorite places are really close to home, but might be a destination vacation for people outside the S. Cal. area.

I always liked San Clemente's Avenida Del Mar. If you are into antiques, it's a fun spot. The Fisherman's restaurant on the pier is a fun place to eat as you watch the ocean crashing the beach beneath you. The Starbucks, with it's large patio is the place to pause and refresh. If it's a special events weekend, you might find a chili cook-off on the pier. Walking and sampling all the entries was fun. Bring the Bromo!

San Juan Capistrano is famous for the mission and the swallows, but also has a lot of antique shops and many railroad themed places. Just stop for lunch at Ruby's Diner and look above your head....the little train runs all day.

Dana Point is fun for shopping too and you have to stop at John's Fish Market for fish n'chips...it's not fancy, just good. You can go on a half day or all day fishing trip or whale watching. If you visit the Chart House for dinner, you'll have the breathtaking view of Dana Pt. Harbor and the coastline. Really a pretty place.

These 3 places I mentioned are all very close and can be visited one right after another.

T

tieguy

Assateugue Island in Maryland. Cheap vacation(camping) your right on the ocean. Wild ponies , deer(sika and whitetail) running through the sites. No phones , no t.v. , no P.C., No traffic unless you drive to Ocean city (10 miles away). Campfires at night listening to the surf crashing on the beach. Truly relaxing. If you go go in June. Flies and mosquitos get bad later in the year. I truly feel relaxed when I get back.

J

jack

Since we didn't beat the earnings estimates we had darn well better get the China routes or it's going to be a very slow year for the stock.

U

underdog

hello,
i am a former ups employee, non-union, i lost my office-job in 1996 when the district re-organized. because i took the severance pay, i am classified as not eligible for rehire. i have asked the district hr man and others repeatedly if i could ever get my code changed, and offering to return the money, and was emphatically turned down. do you know of any way to get this changed? i do not like being in the same class as those are shunned for "bad" reasons, i.e. theft. i was an excellent employee by their own evaluations and i never did anything wrong.
any information/contacts/resources in this regard would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
i WAS very happy at ups. just tryin to get back to where i once belonged.
[email protected]

S

seahorse1

Underdog: It was my experience that a good and faithful employee could mend fences. Having said that , I will admit that this information and the examples I am aware of happened in the 80's. Times do change. I think what is important for you is to get the "right ear" and this can happen for you.

Z

zippo

eHatchery and Encore Development Form Powerful Technology Partnership
Early-Stage Companies to Benefit from Pilot to Enterprise-Class Web-Powered Business Solutions
ATLANTA and JACKSONVILLE, Fla., July 28 /PRNewswire/ -- eHatchery, the incubator for new technology and new ideas, and Encore Development, the premier web-powered business solutions provider specializing in world-class eBusiness and Data Warehouse solutions, announced today a powerful technology partnership, resulting in the fastest way to launch a start-up eBusiness in need of industrial-strength technology solutions. The partnership arrangement provides that eHatchery's engineering architecture, development and project management teams will join Encore's group of world-class technology professionals to provide single-source, enterprise-scalable solutions for start-ups.

``Our partnership with eHatchery is directly in-line with our strategy for aggressive growth as we position Encore to move into the global marketplace,'' said Bob Leonard, Co-President for Encore. ``We plan to expand our key skill sets, focus on complex solutions that create significant value for our clients and attract key talent to Encore. The addition of eHatchery's experienced team members and early-stage company expertise will allow us to better meet the needs of emerging companies that will shape the future of the economy.''

Per the Agreement's terms, Encore will have a five-year engagement as eHatchery's preferred technology development partner and will oversee Hatchware, eHatchery's start-up technology platform. eHatchery will in turn receive an equity stake in Encore. The partnership will combine eHatchery's technical knowledge and start-up expertise with Encore's award-winning, eBusiness and data warehousing solutions expertise. This will expand eHatchery's capability to offer world-class service to venture-funded companies and allow Encore to leverage the pilot-to-enterprise solutions across their entire client base.

``eHatchery's technology platform was created to empower start-ups with an affordable solution for leveraging the most relevant eBusiness software at the earliest stages of business development,'' said Jeff Levy, Founder and CEO of eHatchery. ``We are thrilled to have Encore take this platform one step further by combining eHatchery's start-up technical methodology with established software solutions, offering early-stage companies the best opportunity to scale quickly and effectively.''

Z

zippo

About eHatchery, LLC

eHatchery, LLC is a full-service incubator that creates partnerships that turn innovative business ideas into sustainable businesses at Internet speed. Founded in 1999 by entrepreneur Jeff Levy and located in Atlanta, Georgia, eHatchery actively supports venture companies by integrating best practices, proven metrics, infrastructure, established technology and experience. This approach to building companies allows entrepreneurs to focus on the fundamental elements of building a business and developing their own competitive edge. eHatchery institutional investors include idealab!, United Parcel Service, Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette and Cox Enterprises. eHatchery client companies include eTour, VetExchange, SimplyCollectible, and TradeUps. eHatchery is currently accepting new business plans. For more information or to submit your idea, please visit www.ehatchery.com .

Z

zippo

About Encore Development

Encore Development is a premier business solutions provider specializing in designing, building and implementing world-class e-business and data warehouse solutions for Fortune 1000 and New Economy companies. Supported by an unparalleled talent pool and driven by a strong commitment to technical resources and innovation, Encore tackles today's most challenging and sophisticated business information projects. Clients include UPS, Equifax, Genuine Parts Company, HomeSide Lending and CSX. For more information about Encore, visit www.encoredev.com .

Z

zippo

Ryder Systems Up 5% On Renewed Takeover Speculation

July 24, 2000

By KOPIN TAN

NEW YORK -- Ryder Systems Inc. (R) shares gained 5.4% Monday, and analysts and traders attributed the increase to renewed speculation that the Miami company was a potential takeover target.

A Ryder spokesman declined to comment, citing company policy against speaking about market speculation.

Market watchers noted that Ryder - which reported second-quarter earnings that beat consensus estimate by a penny last Thursday - has long been a target of persistent rumors linking it with potential acquirers like General Electric Co.'s (GE) GE Capital Services unit and United Parcel Service (UPS). Spokesmen at both GE Capital and UPS declined to comment.

Banc of America Securities analyst Peter Coleman noted the recurrence of such speculation and said Ryder makes a logical takeover candidate. "But given the fact that the company is in the process of restructuring and turning its business around, the likely premium management is looking for could be prohibitively high," Coleman added.

Takeover speculation and pressure to boost its stock value led to a shareholder proposal earlier this year to explore a possible sale of the company, but the proposal was overwhelmingly defeated during a shareholder vote. Ryder's operations consists of both its leasing and logistics segments, with the leasing business accounting for a little more than half the revenue.

GE Capital already has significant operations in transportation leasing, including a joint venture with Penske Corp.'s (X.PSK). A combined entity would give GE over 50% of the truck leasing market. While UPS may want to expand its logistics business, it had sold its truck leasing business to Rollins Truck Leasing Corp. (RLC) in January.

NYSE-listed shares of the transportation services and logistics company recently were up 1 1/16 to 20 3/4 on volume of 1.1 million, compared with daily average volume of 526,700. The stock reached 21 intraday.

Ryder's options also were active. At least one investor bought several thousand contracts of Ryder's August 22.5 call options while selling the same number of August 17.5 put options - a bet that the stock price will rise.

On Monday, Ryder's August 22.5 calls gained 11/16 to 1 7/16 on Pacific Stock Exchange volume of 6,244 contracts, compared with open interest of 3,503 contracts. The August 17.5 puts lost 7/16 to 3/8 on volume of 5,157 contracts, compared with open interest of 1,738.

L

legs

I thunk that our next big hope of a share price increase lies in the addition of UPS to the S&P 500. Here is a clipping from a story in yrsterday's Bloomberg news:

Standard & Poor's addition of JDS Uniphase Corp. to the S&P 500 eliminates the largest U.S. company by market value that wasn't included in the benchmark index.

JDS Uniphase, with a market value of $108 billion, joined the index after Wednesday's close and is its 27th-largest member.

The following list shows 20 of the largest U.S. companies that aren't part of the S&P 500. Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the largest, would rank 36th if it were a member of the index. Exodus Communications Inc., the smallest company on this list, would rank 121st.

Mkt Value Ticker Company (billions) BRK/A Berkshire Hathaway Inc. $86.53 UPS United Parcel Service $65.81 AWE AT&T Wireless Group $64.39 LMG/A AT&T - Liberty Media $61.44 GS Goldman Sachs Group Inc. $44.15 JNPR Juniper Networks Inc. $42.25 DNA Genentech Inc $38.80 INF Infinity Broadcasting $38.62 GMH Hughes Electronics Corp. $34.18 VRSN VeriSign Inc. $31.08 SCMR Sycamore Networks Inc. $28.15 GMST Gemstar-TV Guide $26.55 VSTR VoiceStream Wireless $26.71 ARBA Ariba Inc. $25.38 SDLI SDL Inc. $24.58 LVLT Level 3 Communications $24.46 IMNX Immunex Corp. $23.40 FOX Fox Entertainment Group $21.95 COX Cox Communications Inc. $21.78 EXDS Exodus Communications Inc. $19.33 * Market values as of 4 p.m. Friday. Source: Bloomberg.

R

retired

Companies in which United Parcel Service has invested

ATLANTA TECH

July 19, 2000

Air2Web: Helps create, deploy and deliver branded Internet applications directly to wireless devices.

Cargo Technology: Developed an inflated, insulated shipping bag as an alternative to polystyrene foam boxes and inserts used to ship perishables.

CarrierPoint: An Internet portal --- accessible wirelessly --- for shipping and trucking services.

Savi Technology: A global wireless network to provide real-time data on the identity, location and status of goods and assets throughout a supply chain.

Servigistics: Inventory planning and logistics solutions for the service parts industry.

eHatchery: An incubator and seed investment fund for Internet businesses.

HighPoint Systems: Offers traditional and Web-based retailers order entry software products, etc.

iShip: Provides Web-based shipping technology and services. Recently acquired by Stamps.com.

Moai Technologies: Provides products to conduct Internet auctions.

NetCel360: Based in Hong Kong, provides consulting, market research, Web design, supply chain management, etc. for businesses operating in Asia Pacific.

NetDelivery: Developed a system that enables the consolidation and delivery of personalized electronic information via the Internet.

Residential Delivery Services Inc.: Provides nationwide delivery services for products that exceed the size, weight or service capabilities of traditional shipping companies. (Items such as furniture, appliances, exercise equipment and electronics directly from manufacturers to retail
customers.)

TRADEX Technologies: Designed to accelerate the deployment of digital marketplaces that enable multiple buyers and sellers to exchange goods, services and information in online trading communities.

Video Networks Inc.: Services include transmitting, distributing, retrieving, accessing, or archiving of video in a digital format and electronic commerce for media buying and billing transactions

S

seahorse1

Underdog: I wouldn't waste my time talking to anyone below the District Manager level. Those are the guys (or gals) with the clout to make it happen, and fast. What you have to do is "sell yourself." Tell UPS why they would be better off with you than without you. Good luck to you.

U

underdog

seahorse: interesting idea. do you think i should try in a different district? (how many districts are there, anyway...?) i never met ziernicki when i was there, in rocky mountain. thanks

S

seahorse1

Underdog: My guess is that you need to stay where your "history" is. Going to another district (in my opinion) won't get done what you want done. It doesn't matter that you did not meet the District Manager before. He has someone he can ask about you, so assuming you are "who you say you are" and you did not "burn any bridges" behind you, you have at least a 50-50 chance of getting re-connected. What have you got to lose here? Just some of your time. Good luck to you. UPS should always be on the lookout for persons who have a burning desire to join our ranks.

C

cheryl

We returned home last week from visiting a couple of the Disney parks Florida and then taking a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean. Here are a few random thoughts that you may want to consider if you are considering this itinerary:

1. Timing is everything...July is hot and humid and the middle of hurricane season. We lucked out with pretty nice weather but is was a gamble.
2. Disney's Animal Kingdom park was great, if you're doing the Disney parks don't miss it. The Bug's Life 3D movie was excellent, the dinosaur ride wasn't...
3. The two things worth seeing at the MGM park were Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster. Neither are suitable for little children or anyone that doesn't enjoy extreme rides. If you been to Universal Studios in California you will be disappointed. I would probably skip the MGM park in Florida if you don't want to try those two rides.
4. Celebrity Cruiseline does a great cruise. Great food and service, much better than Royal Caribbean or Carnival (in my opinion.)
5. In Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Dunn's River Falls was the highlight. It was beautiful and the facilities were very well maintained.
6. Grand Cayman is expensive, but nice. Don't miss snorkeling at Sting Ray City. You are surrounded by huge stingrays that are very curious and friendly. It was amazing...
7. Cozumel had great snorkeling everywhere, the best range of oceanlife I've ever seen. It was inexpensive there too.
8. The Florida Keys were interesting but very crowded. I missed the snorkeling there but my daughter and some of the individuals we were traveling with said it was great. They have the only live coral reef in the continental U.S.
9. Our cruise pretty much circled Cuba. There was a constant supply of Cuban cigars in all the non U.S. ports for those of you that are interested in that sort of thing.

R

retired1

Florida in July or August is not comfortable. If you want to visit that area wait until winter or spring when the temperature is more hospitable. It rains in Florida almost every day in the summer and if it's not raining it's blazing hot.

The Carribbean is too hot in the summer. That's why it's their off season.

R

retired

United Tech's Pratt Gets $410 Mln Contract From UPS (Update1)
8/7/00 1:14:00 PM
Source: Bloomberg News
East Hartford, Connecticut, Aug. 7 (Bloomberg) -- United Technologies Corp.'s Pratt & Whitney unit said it won a contract valued at $410 million to maintain the jet engines on a dozen United Parcel Service Inc. aircraft over 10 years.

The company's engine-services unit will be responsible for the upkeep of the Pratt & Whitney JT9D-7A engines that power Boeing Co. 747 aircraft at United Parcel, the world's largest delivery company.

United Technologies, also the world's biggest maker of elevators and air conditioners, is seeking to do more service work to keep revenue steadier over time. United Parcel is already a customer of Pratt. It awarded the company a contract last year value at about $3 billion to provide engines and maintenance work on its Airbus Industrie aircraft.

Shares of Hartford, Connecticut-based United Technologies rose 2 to 61 in New York Stock Exchange trading. Pratt & Whitney is based in East Hartford, Connecticut.