Archives

T

tieguy

Nuzog,
While anything is possible I find it hard to believe one district is using the remote delivery option. The suspension of remote delivery was a corporate decision. The over 9.5 issue is a touchy one. When your trying to break a center from going over 9.5 you normally get a lot of resistance from drivers who have become accustomed to working that much and earning what their earning. Now I know I'll get a lot of debate about it and the reasons why drivers are going over 9.5 however the reality is that there are drivers who want to continue earning the overtime and will find reasons to run over.

R

retired1

Reporting of the settlement of the Teamster's strike against the United Parcel Service has claimed employees "won" major economic gains by striking. However, as the chart shows, full-time employees will be net losers until the fifth year of the agreement, and part-time employees fail to recover their losses this period.

UPS Teamsters Employees' Wage and Income Gains/Losses: Agreement vs. Companies Last Offer

S

seahorse1

Good Stuff here. Unfortunately, the Die Hard Teamsters will not believe anything in print that does not have the "Twin Horse" Logo on it. Sadly, it is their loss, short term and long.

J

jbul_ups

Retired one:
Your analysis would be great, if all it was about was money...it was also about full time jobs for part timers working fulltime, killing UPS's desire to take over our pension plan, UPS's desire to put us under their health plan, and what does that chart do in later years? Perhaps continue its 65 degree ascent? Could it be that the first 2 years shows below UPS line, due to the one time bonus we rejected?

J

jbul_ups

retired,

Strike , who wins.....seems to me ,a federal arbitrator found all that BS about major volume loss, and layoffs to be baseless, and ordered UPS to create the jobs.....old news bud

J

jbul_ups

Retired,

Let's see now, The Employment Policy Foundation is funded by 130 leading companys. Gee , I wonder which way they lean?Gimme a break, this web site contains information on doing away with any worker's protection, and let's cut wages, increase productivity, so we can pay and treat employees like they do in the developing nations:i.e MORE PROFIT at the expense of the workforce.

M

my2cents

If this Fedex/USPS alliance goes through, UPS should be allowed to deliver all classes of mail. Why a private carrier can't deliver to a private mailbox, makes no sense to me. The law which makes mailboxes federal property should be amended so authorized private carriers can make their deliveries.

R

retired1

About EPF

The Employment Policy Foundation is a unique, non-partisan economic research and education foundation that focuses on workplace trends and policies. EPF's timely economic policy analysis seeks to:

Shape the direction and development of sound employment policy
Identify the economic consequences of proposed or existing employment policies and regulations
Clarify the accuracy of employment and workplace economic data reported by the media, and relied on by policymakers
Identify the critical trends affecting competitiveness, the workplace, and employment policy
Provide competitive intelligence and strategic understanding of the direction and relationship of international and domestic economic trends on employment policy and the workplace.
EPF has a history of growth and stability; a highly regarded body of research and competitive knowledge on human resources and employment issues; a respected reputation among policymakers and the media; and a demonstrated track record of affecting the course and development of employment policy.

EPF is a Communications Organization. "Washington policymakers" are no longer driving the critical employment issues. Instead, today, public opinion shapes public policy. EPF believes that achieving sound employment policy requires communication based on sound research, strategic analysis and prudent forecasting.

EPF's Goal is to be:

Members' primary source of economic and employment research
The media's preferred source for trustworthy economic research on employment policy
Policymakers' most trusted provider of research, analysis and trends shaping employment policy
The Employment Policy Foundation is a small, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with an important mission:

. . . to shape public policy outcomes by providing policymakers and the public with the highest quality economic analysis and commentary on U.S. employment policies affecting the competitive goals of American industry and the people it employs.

For nearly two decades we have provided the research and information that addresses federal, state and local employment policy–from the White House to the U.S. Department of Labor to a city's "living wage" proposal.

Those who examine and craft America's public workforce policy–from consultants to Congress, think tanks to universities and media–use EPF as a source of unbiased, reliable data. We are not lobbyists, but we are experts whose opinion is valued. That's why, for example, when the U.S. Congress took up the TEAM Act and amendments to the Fair Labor Standards Act, EPF testimony was immediately solicited and respected on both sides of the aisle. At the same time, EPF is a valued predictor of economic consequences on issues such as pay equity, paid family leave, patients' bill of rights, and ergonomic planning.

Journalists who report on public and corporate employment policy–from editorial writers to labor reporters–find in EPF a bank of unbiased and clear information. In press releases and media briefings, EPF is willing to take a position and hold it, so long as that position is itself based not in a predisposed opinion but in data-based and research-proven outcomes.

R

retired1

Jbul,

I'm curious about your information about EPF. Please add whatever information that you would like to this conversation but you are making a fool of yourself when you are dismissive with me for posting information that you find distrubing. I'd love to see any analysis or research that you have disputing the information that I found at EPF. Calling this information old news doesn't mean that it wasn't new news to me and probably some other people that read this board. I had never seen this information before and thought that it would be worth talking about in this forum. So let's see some analysis from you, not just dismissive comments and attempts to invalidate the information by saying that it is old news.

J

jbul_ups

retired,

EPF is funded by 130 top US companys, as per their annual report, which can be found on their web site. So, let's see. Peter pays your wages and wants one conclusion focused on, on an issue. But Paul has another conclusion, maybe closer to the truth. You can slant the figures to show either conclusion. Which conclusion do you propound? This is like saying Rush Limbaugh would be fair in any assessment he makes about Democrats.Wake up and smell the coffee retired.

J

jbul_ups

About EPF statement.

IF your gonna blow your own horn, blow it well.
EPF, the savior of the economy,by big business 101.
Rush Limbaugh, talent on loan from God!

You really have to understand where someone is coming from , before you take all they say as gospel.

As I said before, it was about more than money, and I'm not complaining about the wage increase we got in the last contract, minus the one time bonus that is worthless,and has always been nothing more than a yes vote getter.

L

legs

I'm sure that the two of you felt really powerful while entering negative comments into your ERI. The thing that amuses me is that I bet that you do the exact same thing every year, and yet you have failed to bring UPS to it's knees the way that you are hoping you will. For every one of you disgruntled us against them mentality workers there are probably a hundred that are satisfied in most areas of their jobs.

L

leftearly

I'd like to see Brown buy that 30% chunk of the German Post Office on their initial public offering. If not, we may find ourselves out in the cold when these government "private" post offices aligned with other "real" private carriers (Fedex, Emery,Puralator)start making a big move on our market share.

T

tieguy

Retired ,
Good information stating what we allready know. No one wins in a strike.

B

bigbrown

Postmaster general foresees end to mail monopoly

By Randolph E. Schmid
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The post office monopoly on delivering letters will fade away but the agency will maintain a secure place in America, outgoing Postmaster General Marvin Runyon predicted Tuesday.
Runyon, in a speech at the National Press Club, also called for changes in the law to give the Postal Service more freedom to set rates and offer new services.
And he said he anticipates a world, by 2020, in which paper mail and electronic mail blend together and the Postal Service is a much more automated operation.
Currently, only the post office is allowed to deliver first-class mail, a monopoly that has existed since the founding of the country. Agency officials have long insisted they need this protection in order to maintain a national service that reaches every American at the same price.
"By the year 2020, I foresee ... (this) going away. Not through legislative fiat. Not through the power of PAC dollars. But through the natural forces of marketplace competition," Runyon said in the speech marking the end of his tenure in office.
"By the year 2020, there will be so many ways to communicate, advertise and ship merchandise, the monopoly will simply be irrelevant," he said.
Runyon, who became the nation's 70th postmaster general July 6, 1992, plans to leave office June 1.
Already electronic mail is becoming a major factor in communications, and by next year all federal benefit payments must be made electronically instead of through the mail.
It costs 43 cents to deliver a Social Security check by hard copy and just 2 cents electronically, Runyon observed. "Those economics are just too compelling not to drive change," he said.
In 2020, he forecast, "millions of Americans will be working at home in virtual companies and small home-based businesses. The Postal Service will provide them the means for conducting postal business electronically. The post office will be on their desktop and the full array of our services will be at their fingertips."
To help make that happen, he called for revision of the laws governing the agency.
A bill under consideration in Congress is a step in the right direction, Runyon said, but doesn't go far enough in freeing the agency to make its own decisions.
"What we need is less red tape and bureaucracy and more old-fashioned efficiency," he said.
Runyon's call for legislative changes came just hours after a proposal from one of his main rivals, Jim Kelly, chief executive of United Parcel Service.
Speaking at a Press Club breakfast, Kelly accused the post office of undermining its private competitors through unfair advantages.
Congress should change the law to make the post office subject to the same rules as private businesses including payment of taxes, following state and local regulations and being subject to antitrust rules, Kelly said.