Archives

M

mojobuc

I did a year as a temp hire jan 2002 to dec 2002, then they let all the temps go but me, because I had to train what was to be my replacement right after Thanksgiving since the UPS guy spoke broken english. Luckily, she didn't like to do the International clerk job, and went to the counter. The management team, and office girls voiced their opinion of me to stay, and I got hired in Jan 03. a year later, I am being interviewed for a p/t super job, only because I failed to qualify as a driver due to a childhood injury.
Point, try getting on p/t, while holding a full time driving job elsewhere, and just wait till your asked to cover drive. Go from there.

P

pgraening

Does P/T sup pay include benefits? I had been wondering because I'm trying to become one, some day... and most traditional jobs deduct $$$ from your paycheck to cover your benefits.

T

toonertoo

If you are in a metro area, I see good things ahead for you. They may have stock options now, when I was in it was before UPS stock went public and only FT got them. Just dont get stuck in a rut, it is easy to do as nowhere else will you go where you will have the time with those little ones that the PT route will afford you. Once they get into their teens they will have activities where you can work later in the evenings and they wont be home anyway. It IS excellent on a resume, just dont let that degree get old..Its not as bad as the horror stories I have told and you have read, its a great experience and I am happy to see someone go into it, who knows it is not their ONLY option, and hang out forever for a full time job. when you get comfortable in where you want to go and they cant give you what you need, do not be afraid to GO, but sometimes they see what they have and promote them on as they should. I had part time loaders work with me that are now full time tech support and they love it, but some of the part time sups I worked with 18 yrs ago are still PT sups and not because they wanted to be, I think alot has to do with where they were located. Just stay smart and enjoy!!! the kids are little for such a short time it is the best sacrifice you will ever make to be with them.

T

toonertoo

pgraening, benefits are the same, and nothing deducted, at least not the last I knew. PT and PT sups have the same benefits, except for prescriptions which when I was there, maybe it has changed....you have to pay up front and send for reimbursement. Dental, vision, major medical all were the same.

F

frustrated

Unfortunately I report directly to him. Whats sad is he is to clueless about our function that he can't even really judge our performance. He has a real attitude problem with women, its hard to pin down, but everyone has noticed it. He completely dismisses anything any of the women techs tell him. I don't think its really his style to do anything sexually harassing.

(Message edited by frustrated on January 30, 2004)

T

tieguy

PT Sup job includes beni's , vacations , tuition reimbursement. Starting salary would vary by area; 1100 sounds like its on the low end. Some operations have part time gainsharing which is a bonus system that adds a quarterly bonus system for acheiving your operation goals. If your concerned about the hours ask what the average is in your interview and ask if they compensate for working extra hours. If hired you will probably spend your first 30 days loading and unloading trailers developing the training skills you need to teach others. Its not an easy job but if you communicate well which it appears you do, Enjoy a role as teacher/trainer mentor and enjoy the stress of a fast paced life then you will do well.

T

toonertoo

well that makes it a little tougher. I have worked with guys like that, I will tell him something and some one else will say the same thing and if it is a male...all of a sudden a light goes on and he listens..but I may as well have talked to a wall. All you can do is hang in there, if he is that bad, eventually he will get moved on to cause hate and discontent elsewhere. I do not know why they keep incompetent people, only certain types are held to accountability, usually the ones with the least power. Only the strong survive, just work around him as much as you can. People observe and know who is the dead weight and who really moves the operations, and it will all work in your favor eventually, I promise.

T

tieguy

What is the sups job? Is he also an IS sup? Don't you guys have a Luigi in your area who will break someones knee caps for a case of beer?
If not then your answer would lie in a more formal company type tactic. Enlist a group effort. Pull together everyone who feels as you do. Then find your districts Employee Relations Manager. Tell the ERM that your group would like to open a case under EDR ( Employee Dispute Resolution) and have the tyrant removed from your operation. It is important that there is no group leader in case your initial effort does not bear fruit. A Letter explaining your position and signed by all might be the best answer. At this point your department can no longer make excuses for the guy and will be forced to address the issue head on.
You will have to be specific on your issues and provide some details of what it is that really gets under your skin. Again no point man , point men take a lot more bullets.

T

tieguy

If your set up for direct deposit about 4 days from day of order to day received. Class A has 10 times the voting rights of Class B and is only sold to UPS employees.

T

tieguy

"Hey those are all horor stories, still dosn;t make right what UPS is doing, and why in the world would you wait 13 years steamboat! that 4 college degrees!"

Muncher I talked to your boss today. Your district labor manager and your BA decided to put a freeze on adding friend/t drivers as soon as they saw you were getting close.

T

tieguy

I get confused every time I call one of those technical support lines and get someone who speaks broken english. The last time I did I ended up ordering egg rolls and wonton soup. Took 4 days to get my food and never did get my computer fixed.....

F

frustrated

Tieguy-
Been looking for a Vinny, no luck yet. He is a TSG supervisor. Not sure about your district, but everytime someone is our department has even thought about EDR we have been discouraged. Its not very likely much will be done, but there is always the chance of retribution. Its already been obvious that those that complain outside the function are "bad apples". The group effort might be worth a try I guess.
Tooner-
The only thing that came from a bad ERI was more meetings promising things would improve. We all have discussed not taking it at all, doesn't that affect the balanced score card?

(Message edited by frustrated on January 30, 2004)

G

groupie

Same thing is happening with me. EDR at ups seems pointless when the Managers threaten you with your job if you do it and fail. The IT department has no union to back you up if you lose EDR.

M

muncher

First off TieDie you don't have to retype what I wrote, I wrote so I remember it! Second, my boss is stupid, but not stupid enough to listen to your one-sided opinions! And last yes it sucks working seven years part-time working full time hours, but it feels soooo goood ... geting my revenge every day by sending out my drivers lite on stops, really pisses off the onroads and makes the center managers numbers look bad! and all my drivers get in before 6pm! no wonder I got $400 in holiday bonus this year!!!!
MUNCH

T

toonertoo

I dont know how it affects the scorecard. If I cant say something good, I usually dont say anything, because I have been to those meetings and nothing gets resolved, doesnt mean it would be the same where you are. If I could take one now I would be positive,even though its not perfect, I know my sups are trying, but a year ago there were no responses available that would have suited the situation, so I just didnt take it. If you have the choice of just not answering, or if you can directly target your concern, take it, if not then all saying we are not taking it should send a message that there is a problem. Others would know more about how these results are evaluated than I, I hope they respond. good luck.

B

browndude

i bet you guys don't want to hear that we have been having lots of sunny 65-70 degree days down here. oh well at least ya'll have cooler summers

T

toonertoo

Brown dude, you are SOOOOOOOO mean. I have permanent blush, think its called windburn....I have lived here all my life and usually right on Lake Erie, the ultimate snow machine, I moved 100 miles away to get away from the snow, this cold is awful, but 0 must seem balmy to those Minnesota people. I love to hear you have those awful 70 degree days, do you have your Carhartt clothing for those awful days!!!

T

toonertoo

If enough people call and complain they will all come back to the USA. I refuse to speak to someone I cannot understand, just like they do If I am in their country. And that is exactly why I wont buy a new PC, even tho mine is so old it barely runs. AND why I refuse to shop at WALMART even tho I love its convienience. Call me weird, my kids did. we were the only people in the world who didnt shop there. But I knew they would thank me someday, if they could still find a job in the USA.

P

pgraening

In the location I'm at, becoming a p/t sup would probably take a long time. I'm going to still be working here for a while, but I'm graduating in December, and going to business school, probably in Chicago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to transfer to a Chicago-area facility. Does anyone know about any of the facilities down there? I'm thinking, bigger city, bigger facilities, means more opportunity. I know coming from a podunk hub in the middle of nowhere is probably not entirely useful, but I know the system pretty well and love the work. CACH sounds like it could be fun, even if it wouldn't be the same as where I started.

P

pgraening

It's just as cold in Wisconsin. Low: -22, High: 0. Let's just say if we had unloaders not wearing gloves, we would have our entire inbound taken to the ER for frostbite. It's that bad.

I don't need a sweatshirt, though, after about five minutes of work. Pretty damn cold after break... we've joked about doing calisthetics instead of sitting around.

Our safety sup says this is the worst weather to work in, because your muscles aren't built for the temperature. I think I am more sore now than when I started this job in the middle of July. And despite the fact it isn't 80 degrees out, I still go through a Nalgene bottle and a half of water - 1.5 liters a night.

I think it might be better working in Alaska - it's probably warmer there.