olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Who am I going to learn all this from? The sup that rides with me for a week isn’t going to tell me any of this I’m assuming. Stewart? Feeder is different than package because there are runs around the clock. Not like package where you can show up 15 minutes before start time and ask someone.

I want to do the Feeder job the right way from day 1, just like I work in package. I am not a runner gunner. I follow the methods.
You only learn maybe 10-20% in training anyway and the rest is on the job. take your time and if you get stuck call the shop or dispatch . ask other truck drivers. you'll find that truckers as a group are a great bunch of people .

everyday you'll have questions. I learned something new almost everyday for over 30 years as a truck driver. the day you think you know it all is the day you should hang it up.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Who am I going to learn all this from? The sup that rides with me for a week isn’t going to tell me any of this I’m assuming. Stewart? Feeder is different than package because there are runs around the clock. Not like package where you can show up 15 minutes before start time and ask someone.

I want to do the Feeder job the right way from day 1, just like I work in package. I am not a runner gunner. I follow the methods.

Other drivers. There is a wealth of information here, too. Best advice I could give a new guy is to never get in a hurry, never rush and follow your instincts. You'll quickly learn if something doesn't feel or seem right, it's time to stop and figure out why. Because once you get your sea legs under you, those instincts are almost never wrong.

NI1

If I downgrade my cdl to class c will I need to get dot recertified to do package or will my cdl dot card still be valid

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Trust me, You will learn more by talking to your fellow drivers.
Your first week by yourself, they'll expect that you know everything including how to get to different buildings.
Don't feel stupid asking questions, for directions, Inbound/Outbound procedures, basically everything.

Number one advice is Don't Rush.
Take your time and watch your surroundings.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Also, if you get behind....DON"T TRY TO CATCH UP!
No hurrying to try to catch up, that's how you make mistakes.
Excellent advice. That is what we saw when package drivers came over to Feeder.They treated a tractor trailer like a big package car and were always trying to make up for lost time.

It's a whole different mindset in feeder. You can get in an accident in a package car and it's usually just a fender bender. You make mistakes or get in an accident in feeder and there is a good chance someone will get hurt or killed.

It's an awesome responsibility and the best feeder drivers I knew took great pride in being professional and doing the job right and safe.

When you speak to other truck drivers in truck stops and rest areas you will see that UPS truck drivers get a lot of respect because of this. We are truly regarded as the "Kings of the Road" That is what I miss most from being retired. The admiration and respect from other drivers , DOT , Highway Patrol , and especially the general public.

Don't let us down newbies.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
All UPS drivers are a member of a kind of fraternity. Feeder drivers are no different. If you have a question about if a hookup looks good, or if a procedure is done properly, ask another driver, they will usually help a newbie without hesitation. My first week in feeders, I dropped a trailer on our break down pad, directly in front of the 2nd floor dispatch. Within seconds, 3 drivers pulled up next to me with trailers to block the view of dispatch and to help me get back under the trailer. I was really upset and frazzled, as you could imagine. Those guys didn't know me from Adam. They could have just drove by and shook their heads at the rookie. I payed it forward my entire feeder career, helping newbies whenever I could. Just ask, and help will be there.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
All UPS drivers are a member of a kind of fraternity. Feeder drivers are no different. If you have a question about if a hookup looks good, or if a procedure is done properly, ask another driver, they will usually help a newbie without hesitation. My first week in feeders, I dropped a trailer on our break down pad, directly in front of the 2nd floor dispatch. Within seconds, 3 drivers pulled up next to me with trailers to block the view of dispatch and to help me get back under the trailer. I was really upset and frazzled, as you could imagine. Those guys didn't know me from Adam. They could have just drove by and shook their heads at the rookie. I payed it forward my entire feeder career, helping newbies whenever I could. Just ask, and help will be there.

And make no mistake, you WILL drop one.

My first year, I had a run to a small hub out in the country. They had one main spotter, and one of the first things he asked me was if I'd dropped a trailer yet. I said no sir, and I don't plan on it either. He laughed, and said, "Okay."

Later that summer, I got distracted and dropped one there, and when I did, it sounded like a thunder bolt. Shortly thereafter, I hear that spotter racing over towards me. He pulled up, with a grin from ear to ear and said, "Never gonna drop one, huh?"

It was embarrassing; humiliating, really, because of my big mouth and he was laughing hard at me, like he should, but he got out and helped me crank the legs down.

Strange as it may sound, the one way to prevent dropping a trailer is by, you guessed it, dropping a trailer. Cranking the handle in low gear, for what seems like 30 minutes, will go a long way from preventing you from doing it again. I did it in the middle of a hot, humid, Midwestern summer night. It was miserable. I haven't sweated that hard since my package car days.

And, by the way, the most common reason you forget to crank your legs down before you pull off, or forget to disconnect your lines before pull away from the trailer (I've done that too), is by getting distracted. A lot of times, if you are talking to another driver in the yard, or talking on the phone while you are breaking down OR hooking up, it is amazingly easy to forget something. If you are doing those things, double check things when you are done talking.

Everybody thinks they can do two things at once. Very few can.

This also has everything to do with what I was posting yesterday, about listening to your instincts. I can't tell you how many times I've started my tractor up, after breaking down, put it in drive, and my instincts start buzzing. And usually, I haven't disconnected the lines, or pulled the pin. It's really uncanny how it works like that. Listen to those instincts.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

My first year, I had a run to a small hub out in the country. They had one main spotter, and one of the first things he asked me was if I'd dropped a trailer yet. I said no sir, and I don't plan on it either. He laughed, and said, "Okay."

Later that summer, I got distracted and dropped one there, and when I did, it sounded like a thunder bolt. Shortly thereafter, I hear that spotter racing over towards me. He pulled up, with a grin from ear to ear and said, "Never gonna drop one, huh?"

It was embarrassing; humiliating, really, because of my big mouth and he was laughing hard at me, like he should, but he got out and helped me crank the legs down.

Strange as it may sound, the one way to prevent dropping a trailer is by, you guessed it, dropping a trailer. Cranking the handle in low gear, for what seems like 30 minutes, will go a long way from preventing you from doing it again. I did it in the middle of a hot, humid, Midwestern summer night. It was miserable. I haven't sweated that hard since my package car days.

And, by the way, the most common reason you forget to crank your legs down before you pull off, or forget to disconnect your lines before pull away from the trailer (I've done that too), is by getting distracted. A lot of times, if you are talking to another driver in the yard, or talking on the phone while you are breaking down OR hooking up, it is amazingly easy to forget something. If you are doing those things, double check things when you are done talking.

Everybody thinks they can do two things at once. Very few can.

This also has everything to do with what I was posting yesterday, about listening to your instincts. I can't tell you how many times I've started my tractor up, after breaking down, put it in drive, and my instincts start buzzing. And usually, I haven't disconnected the lines, or pulled the pin. It's really uncanny how it works like that. Listen to those instincts.
An old timer told me early on that there are two kinds of feeder drivers, the ones who have dropped a trailer and the ones who lie about it.

Indecisi0n

I have to admit that I though package guys were tight but after meeting my feeder men they aren't even close. I have guys giving me their numbers that don't even know my name telling me I can call them day or night anytime I get jammed up with directions or equipment. You guys are a fine breed. I was told by one of the older guys who game me his number, now the only think that is expected from you as far as we go is when you see a rookie jammed up you return the favor and help him. His words gave me a feeling I haven't had with this company in a long time, pride.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The best thing to do if are distracted for whatever reason and not sure about things is to start your pre-trip or post trip from the very beginning. 9 times out of 10 you will find something you missed .

saved my butt countless times.

Johney

Pineapple King
And wait until you high pin , the sweat will pour especially if you are by yourself
More drivers will do this 10X more than dropping one. Drop one and sure you're cranking the landing gear, high pin one in the right situation? You can't get out of it without help

Indecisi0n

The best thing to do if are distracted for whatever reason and not sure about things is to start your pre-trip or post trip from the very beginning. 9 times out of 10 you will find something you missed .

saved my butt countless times.
Start from the beginning? You mean actually doing it right? I see some guys pop the hoods and check everything then others just jump in and go.

Johney

Pineapple King
Start from the beginning? You mean actually doing it right? I see some guys pop the hoods and check everything then others just jump in and go.
No, get a routine and stick to it whether building a set or hooking up to a single. Do the same things in the same order every time. For instance landing gear is the first thing down and the last thing up. Get a routine and stick to it, everyone that has been in feeders for some time has one they all may differ in one way or another but if you stick to one you should never drop a trailer,put an air line through the back window, tear out an electrical cord,etc.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
In 29 years, I did all those things, and more. Dropped a couple, loaded and empty. You think it is going to take forever if you have to crank a load up off the ground on low gear. (you can only raise trailers that are on their nose on low gear, and it will probably take a hundred cranks or so.) In the summer, it looks like you took a shower with your uniform on. That KABOOM sound when one hits the concrete will stay in the back of your mind for the rest of your life. Left my hoses hooked up a couple of times too. Hopefully, they will just come unhooked off the trailer and bang off the back of your cab, or just drag your hoses over your 5th wheel.) If they pull out of the back of your power unit, well, sometimes it pays to have a friend at the shop.. Had one driver leave their hoses hooked up, stretched the hoses when they drove off, and the glad hands went through the back window of the cab. Some of the glad hands are made of lead, some are aluminum. Had another driver one night at a closed building leave his hoses hooked up, they came thru his back window and knocked him smooth out. When in doubt, get out and look.