KoWag

Both. It’s not that I’m confused, I just wonder if I’ll eventually catch onto what everything is because I don’t have a mechanical bone in my body.

Well I hope so lol, you wanna be able to troubleshoot certain things .like if your lights aren't working on the trailer you gotta put more tension on the light cord, maybe with a bungee cord. If anything look in your CDL book.

Coldworld

That’s another thing I’m concerned with about going to feeders. I don’t have a mechanical bone in my body. Is it possible to learn how to properly pre trip when you don’t know anything about what you’re looking at?
You’re joking, right??? Most of the pretrip is visual anyway...understand the air leaks tests and basic knowledge and you will be fine..

Coldworld

Both. It’s not that I’m confused, I just wonder if I’ll eventually catch onto what everything is because I don’t have a mechanical bone in my body.
Although a Thorough preteip is important making sure you snap together trailers properly is where you can’t make a mistake... you DO NOT want to lose a trailer on the freeway or out on some street... VERY BAD!!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Is it that way in feeders because there’s more stuff that can go wrong? So the mechanics never check the tractors other than the yearly looksie?
Most tractors, at least where I worked, are double utilized. You get out of it, another person gets into it. Double the opportunity for stuff to break. It is important that if you find something simple wrong, go ahead and get it fixed sometime during your shift, rather than just write it up. The guy you share with will appreciate it, rather than cut into his SW time to get it fixed.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Are the tractors governed? One of ours flew past me earlier running doubles and doing around 80 ( I was doing 75).

I mean it’s Jersey so people do what they want here but still...

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Where I am hourly tractors are set at 68, sleepers are at 70 and mileage tractors are set at 72.

Those speed's move a bit, I ran mileage all week and the tractor had brand new drive tires... I could run 73-74 if I held the pedal down.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I'm sure, but you keep that speed up and you're going to meet him.

You’ve never driven in the Tri State? It’s the norm, you’re actually a hazard doing 65 in the center or outside lanes. Without sounding cringeworthy, I have enough experience and response/CEVO training to stay in control of my car. LA was the same experience, driving the speed limits got you tailgated and flipped off to the point it was when in Rome.

Johney

Pineapple King
You’ve never driven in the Tri State? It’s the norm, you’re actually a hazard doing 65 in the center or outside lanes. Without sounding cringeworthy, I have enough experience and response/CEVO training to stay in control of my car. LA was the same experience, driving the speed limits got you tailgated and flipped off to the point it was when in Rome.
I didn't think we were talking about driving a car.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Wedge a zip tie in the plug.
I kept several folded up hazmat pouches under my seat just for that. A lot of those plugs and or sockets would get wallowed out and not make contact. The prongs on the trailer sockets are split. I also kept one of those pencil-sized flathead screwdrivers in my pocket to spread those prongs out enough to make contact.