KoWag

Feeder drivers seem to be so supportive and don't want to see anyone fail. I've been friends with some of our feeders and now I am a driver along side them, and I've never felt so proud or supported! I'm not scared to ask questions.
I didn't do package very long (air driver) but its so competitive, "how many stops did you have today, who helped you??" Blablabla. I like being alone in my cab and having more responsibility and not being a headless chicken counting stops

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
726FC89A-9946-45D9-9F8D-84C7687E8FB5.gif
Excellent advice. That is what we saw when package drivers came over to Feeder.They treated a tractor trailer like a big package car and were always trying to make up for lost time.

It's a whole different mindset in feeder. You can get in an accident in a package car and it's usually just a fender bender. You make mistakes or get in an accident in feeder and there is a good chance someone will get hurt or killed.

It's an awesome responsibility and the best feeder drivers I knew took great pride in being professional and doing the job right and safe.

When you speak to other truck drivers in truck stops and rest areas you will see that UPS truck drivers get a lot of respect because of this. We are truly regarded as the "Kings of the Road" That is what I miss most from being retired. The admiration and respect from other drivers , DOT , Highway Patrol , and especially the general public.

Don't let us down newbies.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Start from the beginning? You mean actually doing it right? I see some guys pop the hoods and check everything then others just jump in and go.

The jump in and drive guys are the ones rolling the dice. And if you're a cover driver, it's because of those guys that a complete pre-trip is vital.

ManInBrown

That’s another thing I’m concerned with about going to feeders. I don’t have a mechanical bone in my body. Is it possible to learn how to properly pre trip when you don’t know anything about what you’re looking at?

KoWag

That’s another thing I’m concerned with about going to feeders. I don’t have a mechanical bone in my body. Is it possible to learn how to properly pre trip when you don’t know anything about what you’re looking at?

I didn't either and it got drilled into my brain. I now know what things are under the hood.I did the pretrip so many times before my CDL test lol

ManInBrown

I didn't either and it got drilled into my brain. I now know what things are under the hood.I did the pretrip so many times before my CDL test lol
Same here but when I spit it out to get my license it was more robotic. I didn’t really understand what I was talking about, I more or less memorized the words.

In package we never look under the hood for pretrip. Is it that way in feeders because there’s more stuff that can go wrong? So the mechanics never check the tractors other than the yearly looksie?