Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
That's what I said after my first day by myself. I was on the Q list for about 6 months after qualifying and never went back to package, there was a couple weeks where feeders told me they didn't have any work for me and I could go back to delivery if I wanted and I was like "No thanks, I'll just be on call".
When I came out to feeders i was on call on the Q list for about a year before I got my fist bid job. During the slow times when i wouldn't get any work I just took layoff days because after experiencing feeders I couldn't imagine myself ever going back to delivery. I actually lost my insurance one month because I didn't get enough hours in the month and I had to pay for cobra until I got my hours in the next month but I still never considered going back to delivery.

govols019

You smell that?
Our package division manager raises hell if a cover feeder driver doesn't return to package if there is no feeder work available.

Coldworld

My old center manager didn't want feeder guys back when feeder work slowed down. He said we were "ruined" and a "bad influence" on the younger guys. That, and the fact that he tried to make me a coverage driver when I came back, and I demanded my old route back.
And there is nothing pkg can do to you since you were officially a feeder driver going back to get hours in pkg...the centers hated that...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
To each his own, and every hub does things different, but I'm glad we don't have those 4X10 jobs. I know with the chaos that typically goes on, it's not hard to work extra OT.

But if I'm not mistaken, by the letter of the law, the 4X10 jobs have no OT, unless you work extra.

I don't like idea of UPS getting around the OT after 8HR rule. I don't think UPS'S intention is helping out drivers by giving them a 4 day workweek. I think it is eliminating OT, even if they haven't got there yet. They would love it if all of our jobs were 4X10.
A lot of the guys I know who run 4x10's bang out 12- 13 hours a day so they basically get 50-52 hours/week and then a 3 day weekend. It's in their schedule so it's not extra work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Not a fun time when you are headed down a hill in ice and the set starts to jackknife and you have to speed up to straighten things out when in your mind you want to stomp on the brakes... not a good feeling, been there...
I used to practice this on very wide spots of snow and ice off road. You speed up like you said and pull the hand valve just a touch and as soon as it starts straightening up let up on both.

the hand valve thing is very tricky as each tractor is different when using the pull down handle. too much and it could make things worse. it's just practice with the same tractor if possible . I'd rather practice some of these moves rather than learn them the hard way in real life road conditions. Plus as you probably already know each set reacts differently: heavy load , empty , lighter loads . brake adjustments. On snow nights I always brought my sets to the shop to have brake adjustments. Usually the mechanic found several out of adjustment and/or different. That can make the difference between a jack knife accident or a safe stop.

I was practicing once at a huge empty high school parking lot and the janitor called the police. They came and asked what I was doing and after I told them they hung around and watched for a bit.

KoWag

I used to practice this on very wide spots of snow and ice off road. You speed up like you said and pull the hand valve just a touch and as soon as it starts straightening up let up on both.

the hand valve thing is very tricky as each tractor is different when using the pull down handle. too much and it could make things worse. it's just practice with the same tractor if possible . I'd rather practice some of these moves rather than learn them the hard way in real life road conditions. Plus as you probably already know each set reacts differently: heavy load , empty , lighter loads . brake adjustments. On snow nights I always brought my sets to the shop to have brake adjustments. Usually the mechanic found several out of adjustment and/or different. That can make the difference between a jack knife accident or a safe stop.

I was practicing once at a huge empty high school parking lot and the janitor called the police. They came and asked what I was doing and after I told them they hung around and watched for a bit.

That was my question!! If you could do that.
Does the hand valve have to be all the way down to engage?

Indecisi0n

So I decided I am not going to buy a trucker gps but rather just a Bluetooth headset. My question is if I were to get jammed up and use my phone gps (I know to be mindful of clearance/restrictions) what phone mount holders do you guys use ? I assume most use windshield mounts? I don't want to have to look down at my phone in the cut holder.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
So I decided I am not going to buy a trucker gps but rather just a Bluetooth headset. My question is if I were to get jammed up and use my phone gps (I know to be mindful of clearance/restrictions) what phone mount holders do you guys use ? I assume most use windshield mounts? I don't want to have to look down at my phone in the cut holder.
Buy a ram mount, you can use the ball that the IVIS next gen utilizes. Two short arms, a three ball adapter to split the existing ball mount and whichever actual ram phone mount you’d like. They are solid, gives you a nice layout with your phone and IVIS right next to each other and the arms are adjustable.

Johney

Pineapple King
To each his own, and every hub does things different, but I'm glad we don't have those 4X10 jobs. I know with the chaos that typically goes on, it's not hard to work extra OT.

But if I'm not mistaken, by the letter of the law, the 4X10 jobs have no OT, unless you work extra.

I don't like idea of UPS getting around the OT after 8HR rule. I don't think UPS'S intention is helping out drivers by giving them a 4 day workweek. I think it is eliminating OT, even if they haven't got there yet. They would love it if all of our jobs were 4X10.
I guess the payoff is 3 day weekends or if you want to work a 5th day you get it all then. Our 4/10 guys never seem to have a problem getting a 5th day.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Sure ya did!!

Smh

Johney

Pineapple King

SMH.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Google Maps is all you need.

trickpony1

No it doesn't. You lightly feather it.
The hand lever also doesn't release the brakes as quickly as the foot brake.

Giving this kind of advice on a forum that is frequented by rookies is gonna get someone killed or in trouble.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That was my question!! If you could do that.

No No No!!!! All the way down will lock up the brakes. It takes practice . Just a little down at a time until you feel the set slowing down. Practice in the yard. I showed an on-road sup this method and he told me that UPS is against doing this because it does take a lot of skill to do it right. And doing this would probably cause more accidents than prevent.

Maybe the best thing is just to go real slow in snow and ice conditions.