olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
that's why I carried an extra airline like that and the tools to replace it on road. Our meets with other drivers were out in the middle of nowhere. They came down from Oregon and we met them near the border on the Cali side. Just a big wide spot in the road.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This happened to me this week. The hub I turned around in had my set stacked up for me. When I went back to hook up, that was the hose for my front box. It was cut completely, so I couldn't even hook up and drag it to the shop. I had take the front trailer to the shop and leave the dolly and back box behind.

To add insult to injury, when I got back, some dirt bag stole my dolly.

I couldn't blame the spotter, because when I back up a trailer to a dolly, I tap the dolly with the front box, then pull up a few inches so I basically only have to lift the dolly straight up, onto the hitch.

To me, it's more convenient. Anyone who has tried to move a dolly more than few feet on gravel, snow, ice or a gap in concrete knows what I'm saying.

The only difference is when I set everything up myself, I check the hose on the front box to make sure it is behind the hitch pin. Then I check the hose on the dolly and make sure it is tucked in the hole behind the eye and not wrapped around the front of the dolly. Then I'm good to go. (If I think of it, I'll post pictures of that too.)

You're always trying to avoid pinch points with the hoses.

Dracula

that's why I carried an extra airline like that and the tools to replace it on road. Our meets with other drivers were out in the middle of nowhere. They came down from Oregon and we met them near the border on the Cali side. Just a big wide spot in the road.

It's amazing how many meet drivers fail to pre-trip their hoses, then act dumb when you ask them if they knew their hose was cut. As if the miraculous hand of God touched it on the trip down.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
This happened to me this week. The hub I turned around in had my set stacked up for me. When I went back to hook up, that was the hose for my front box. It was cut completely, so I couldn't even hook up and drag it to the shop. I had take the front trailer to the shop and leave the dolly and back box behind.

To add insult to injury, when I got back, some dirt bag stole my dolly.

I couldn't blame the spotter, because when I back up a trailer to a dolly, I tap the dolly with the front box, then pull up a few inches so I basically only have to lift the dolly straight up, onto the hitch.

To me, it's more convenient. Anyone who has tried to move a dolly more than few feet on gravel, snow, ice or a gap in concrete knows what I'm saying.

The only difference is when I set everything up myself, I check the hose on the front box to make sure it is behind the hitch pin. Then I check the hose on the dolly and make sure it is tucked in the hole behind the eye and not wrapped around the front of the dolly. Then I'm good to go. (If I think of it, I'll post pictures of that too.)

You're always trying to avoid pinch points with the hoses.

I can not count how many times I had to go to the shop to get that line replaced. Even if it is not cut but had been bumped or pinched or you can see where it was hit before , it has a bump or slight protrusion and you know the integrity of the hose has been compromised.

It would blow out soon . I took it as a matter of pride to bring my meet driver a healthy set with no potential problems and he did the same for me.

Not all drivers do as you well know.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I've seen quite a few of those air valves damaged by newbies bumping dolly's. New drivers need to make sure they are lined up if they use that technique.

Dracula

If you line up straight, and the dolly is straight, when you back up and are getting close, you shouldn't be able to see the dolly tires in your mirrors.

Indecisi0n

I've seen quite a few of those air valves damaged by newbies bumping dolly's. New drivers need to make sure they are lined up if they use that technique.
I had a vet driver tell me he backs up until he hits the dolly then pulls up. Haha. I just try to use my gloves as a reference.

Dracula

Okay @Indecisi0ne don't be a dick, like this guy:
E13A3DF2-9052-4DC6-AA51-3317CFAB9FB4.jpeg

Be a cool guy. like this fella:
58453EBE-9037-4809-8366-36F3264E8524.jpeg

Always keep your hoses away from pinch points.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Okay @Indecisi0ne don't be a dick, like this guy:
View attachment 192194

Be a cool guy. like this fella:
View attachment 192197

Always keep your hoses away from pinch points.

I don't car about that, I've never seen one get pinched in that position.

One thing I always do is make a dolly with the gladhands locked together my first choice. If drivers are too lazy to recouple them on the dolly, I doubt they do a proper post-trip.

Johney

trickpony1

This is why it's so very important to do a good pretrip when someone else hooks up your set.
This includes:
-pull the tractor park valve;
-hook up lines and cord;
-give trailers air (valve);
-pull hand lever down and secure it with seatbelt then;
-do your walk around listening for air gushing out because someone pinched your service line.

Has Inde ever tried to stop a set that doesn't have brakes on the rear trailer? I hope he doesn't have to. Not fun.

Dracula

Hold on, so get tired of laying a glove or marker down as compared to folding in hoses? Tapping a dolly here and getting caught is at least a firm talking to from the boss.

I've never heard of or had management say a word about tapping a dolly. And if you have to walk back there to lay a marker down, you just as easily fold the hose under.

Either way, we've always been trained to fold the hose under, in addition to snapping the glad hands together and draining the air.

Dracula

I don't car about that, I've never seen one get pinched in that position.

One thing I always do is make a dolly with the gladhands locked together my first choice. If drivers are too lazy to recouple them on the dolly, I doubt they do a proper post-trip.

I've seen so many cut and pinched dolly hoses it's almost routine. And it's such a simple fix. They get cut in a dolly pile as much as they get pinched by a trailer.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If dollies are scarce, and people are circling like vultures.....I kept red tags in my bag. I'd put one on the dolly and leave the reason blank. Just enough doubt where most guys wouldn't take it.
That's funny. Done that too on rare occasions . Some drivers will hide them or take then down the street and leave them at a commercial account. The worse thing is having no dolly on a snow night when every minute counts.

also have had to take an expired inspection dolly to the shop and wait 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the mechanic to do the inspection. It was funny when a boss would come to the shop and ask the mechanic to hurry up. We'd laugh when the supe walked away. It always took longer after that. They;ll never learn.