Trucker Clock

Maybe.

I'd still like to know exactly what happened.

Most of my encounters are for people that do not yield....they just keep coming.

Yep.

He was in the right lane. He had traffic to his left. The car was getting onto the highway, at the typical slow speed because she was on the phone. She expected the set of doubles to slow down and let her in front of him, since she was still going 30 mph less than the posted highway speed and couldn't seamlessly merge.

She does not know that she is the one with the yield sign. Even if she saw the sign, she has no idea of what it means.

So she was not almost run off the road. She ran out of on ramp road because she was still traveling 30 mph less the the semi and realized she was going to sideswipe the semi. As she slowed down, even more, and tried to get in behind the semi, she now realized that she was only traveling at 35 mph trying to merge into traffic traveling at 70 mph.

So she had to come to a screeching stop because she ran out of road and would have caused a major accident if she continued to try and merge into traffic traveling 40 mph faster than her.

But she blamed the semi for running her off the road. You gotta love these clueless people.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Yep.

He was in the right lane. He had traffic to his left. The car was getting onto the highway, at the typical slow speed because she was on the phone. She expected the set of doubles to slow down and let her in front of him, since she was still going 30 mph less than the posted highway speed and couldn't seamlessly merge.

She does not know that she is the one with the yield sign. Even if she saw the sign, she has no idea of what it means.

So she was not almost run off the road. She ran out of on ramp road because she was still traveling 30 mph less the the semi and realized she was going to sideswipe the semi. As she slowed down, even more, and tried to get in behind the semi, she now realized that she was only traveling at 35 mph trying to merge into traffic traveling at 70 mph.

So she had to come to a screeching stop because she ran out of road and would have caused a major accident if she continued to try and merge into traffic traveling 40 mph faster than her.

But she blamed the semi for running her off the road. You gotta love these clueless people.
I have zero sympathy for 4-wheelers who try to merge onto the highway going 50 mph. It is not my job nor my obligation to help you merge. You’re in a car, you can easily beat this truck. Gas it or grass it.

over9five

Staff member
I have zero sympathy for 4-wheelers who try to merge onto the highway going 50 mph. It is not my job nor my obligation to help you merge. You’re in a car, you can easily beat this truck. Gas it or grass it.
It's getting more and more dangerous out there every day. People (4 wheelers) are freakin stupid. My favorite game every night is counting how many people are driving down the highway with no lights on. Really?
Anyhow, driving a truck is getting scary...

over9five

Staff member
No doubt UPS always thinks they can get away with everything regardless if the issue is been settled or not. My personal opinion is depending on how far the grievance goes we wind up with at least a forward facing camera.
I don't even like that. Because you know they'll be using the driver facing one whether they tell you or not.

Yeet

Is anyone else getting the in cab cameras? Heard COLOH is getting them next, and I’m gonna assume Newpa is next up at some point. I can’t remember if it’s been posted before but is there a grievance we can file on or are we pretty much screwed already?

None of them are installed where I am but I have heard other places have some.
We were told they are being installed here about 3 weeks ago. They’ve already started putting them in.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes, but I almost always yielded if possible. The truck , unless they have video evidence, is found to be at fault.

Yeet

yes, but I almost always yielded if possible. The truck , unless they have video evidence, is found to be at fault.
I’ll tap the brakes too and get over IF I CAN. A lot of times I can’t. I’ll see the bozo driving next to me not accelerating or braking just riding right next to me and the merge lane ends in 100 feet. Those are the morons I’m talking about.

Thebrownblob

I don't even like that. Because you know they'll be using the driver facing one whether they tell you or not.
I don’t like it either but it’s gonna be tough to get rid of that with technology moving the way it is. Even with the forward facing cameras one of the freight companies had a case where they used the reflection in the window against the driver.

Thebrownblob

The writing is on the wall. been for years now.
Union will be gone soon because you guys wont fight anymore.
What writing are you talking about? There’s lots of technology we never thought would be put in place, we still have a union, we still have rules. The sky is not falling. And by “you guys” who do you mean? What fighting did you ever do?….if you even worked here?

Thebrownblob

If they are looking over your shoulder 24/7 what's the union going to do for you. Their word against you. Redefining harassment.
I’ve been involved in many cases that were thrown out because of the misuse of technology in regards to over supervision, or harassment. Now if someone is being dishonest I have seen them stick.
Moral of the story is don’t be dishonest, do it by the book just like there’s a management person sitting next to you all the time. Do I like it nope. Is it a reality of life with technology moving forward it seems so we just need some solid rules and some pushback.

Non sequitur

Why would there be a need for a defense? We are just creating a need. The only camera that's legitimate is the type that record's caused by hard breaking or a collision.

Thebrownblob

Why would there be a need for a defense? We are just creating a need. The only camera that's legitimate is the type that record's caused by hard breaking or a collision.
Same argument was made for GPS in all the trucks. If you’re asking my personal opinionI don’t believe there is a need, it will depend on who argues on our side if they can come up with a good enough reason to deflect the companies reason because the company is going to say it’s for safety.
Naturally I’m sure they’re telling a lie.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What writing are you talking about? There’s lots of technology we never thought would be put in place, we still have a union, we still have rules. The sky is not falling. And by “you guys” who do you mean? What fighting did you ever do?….if you even worked here?
23 years. filed a lot of grievances.
I've seen a lot of apathy in the last 10-15 years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’ll tap the brakes too and get over IF I CAN. A lot of times I can’t. I’ll see the bozo driving next to me not accelerating or braking just riding right next to me and the merge lane ends in 100 feet. Those are the morons I’m talking about.
agree. we cant almost come to a stop to let these morons in. then we become the hazard. Many times I could not change lanes, speed up or slow down. You just watch the idiot slam on brakes. Same people who finally get on the freeway and then come alongside you and honk the horn and give you the finger.
It never happened to me but there are tons of videos on You-Tube when idiots would finally get on freeway and "brake check" big rigs and it would backfire when the 80,000 pound rig could not stop fast enough. They are fun to watch for me .