Thebrownblob

Why should feeders be any different than packages? Or a clerk job, counter job, porter job?

You have a FT seniority date. Go where your seniority allows you to go. Yes, it sucks. I got bumped down quite a few times, and back to packages a few times. But the other guys had more seniority. Why should feeders be any different just because someone was already in feeders and a package guy now wants to go? Both are FT employees.
We’ve all been there it’s not pleasant, but you do get through it.

Johney

Job classification seniority has its good points and bad. As long as you bid a job when you can it works no one can bump you as you bid into with your seniority, the only guys that bitched were the ones who didn’t bid when they could’ve and someone with less time did. When I bid feeders a lot of higher guys passed but bids that came later and at least 4 guys had higher seniority than me finally bid into feeders. I was ahead of them on route and vacation picks. Same thing happened when I bid a 22.3 shifting job. I fell to the bottom of the 22.3 list and some guys who bid before me had less time.

Cowboy Mac

I spent my first year in feeders bouncing from package for two weeks then back to feeders for 3 weeks then back to package. It was brutal. I was lucky my package center manager was understanding and the weeks I was feeder then set to come back to package he’d give me a standing Monday off usually cause I worked Friday night in feeders.
We don’t get any understanding here. If we don’t get called for feeders by package start time, we are expected to come in to package. They burn option days if you don’t show up to package.

Then you have those lower seniority cover drivers who are butt buddies with management, get layoffs out of seniority order against the contract. They get called for runs because they’re not already in package car that day.

For a lot of us it’s Sunday night in feeders, Tues-Thursday in package, Friday night in feeders. 34 hour reset. Rinse and repeat.

Trucker Clock

"Your worst day in Feeders is better than your best day in Package."

Not to all.

Some can't work nights.
Some can't sleep days.
Some spouses hate being alone in the house all night long.
Some can't handle driving in the snow, pouring rain or high winds.
Some can't handle the boredom.
Have to spends hours per week in the gym just to keep off that 50 pounds from sitting for 10 hours in a truck.
No Friday night out with the boys.
Night jobs really screw up the weekend.
etc, etc, etc.

I don't mind packages. Stay active. Stay fit. Stay moving. It's days and not really boring like driving a semi to CACHE and back in the middle of the night, especially when it is snowing 1" per hour, winds are blowing 40 and the plows are nowhere to be seen.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not to all.

Some can't work nights.
Some can't sleep days.
Have to spends hours per week in the gym just to keep off that 50 pounds from sitting for 10 hours in a truck.
etc, etc, etc.

I don't mind packages. Stay active. Stay fit. Stay moving. It's days and not really boring like driving a semi to CACHE and back in the middle of the night, especially when it is snowing 1" per hour, winds are blowing 40 and the plows are nowhere to be seen.
Sounds awful..

Thebrownblob

Not to all.

Some can't work nights.
Some can't sleep days.
etc, etc, etc.

Most people that go to Feeders seem to really like it, but there’s definitely been a few people who absolutely hate it. Many of the reasons you list are the common ones. Mine would definitely be boredom.. I cannot sit that long without falling asleep. Probably been in package too long and it has ruined me. LOL.

Johney

We don’t get any understanding here. If we don’t get called for feeders by package start time, we are expected to come in to package. They burn option days if you don’t show up to package.

Then you have those lower seniority cover drivers who are butt buddies with management, get layoffs out of seniority order against the contract. They get called for runs because they’re not already in package car that day.

For a lot of us it’s Sunday night in feeders, Tues-Thursday in package, Friday night in feeders. 34 hour reset. Rinse and repeat.
When we got called to feeders it was for the week. Once you bid a run and obtain seniority in feeders you lose your package bid run and if you quit feeders you go back as a swing driver.

Thebrownblob

When we got called to feeders it was for the week. Once you bid a run and obtain seniority in feeders you lose your package bid run and if you quit feeders you go back as a swing driver.
That’s similar to the way it is here if feeders get laid off. And I can’t remember how long but it’s either two or three years after you’re in feeders you know longer qualify and can’t come back to package car, you have to work in the building. If you’re an off the street hire you basically get $15 an hour if you work in the building.

Johney

Not to all.

Some can't work nights.
Some can't sleep days.
etc, etc, etc.

You're right it isn't for everyone, definitely a lifestyle change. I did make more money in feeders though than package. Always got offered dead days in package and had a hard time refusing them.

Johney

Most people that go to Feeders seem to really like it, but there’s definitely been a few people who absolutely hate it. Many of the reasons you list are the common ones. Mine would definitely be boredom.. I cannot sit that long without falling asleep. Probably been in package too long and it has ruined me. LOL.
I never got bored I had the same tractor for a while and put Satellite radio in it because local radio stations would fade out on the turnpike that or some of us would do conference calls to stay awake.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I know what you mean. For me it was a combination of boredom, and not having great night vision.

Hey, I thought the training and learning how to build a set was kind of fun. Driving.... not so much.