Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I drove a snub nosed International for a couple of years. The Cat engine in that thing was a beast. The only tractor that rode worse was a Sterling I had for a bit.
In Boston , we actually still have a Sterling ,, shop spare , I remember when it was new in 04 , even then I didn't like it !

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
In Boston , we actually still have a Sterling ,, shop spare , I remember when it was new in 04 , even then I didn't like it !
I drove a Ford for a while, and they were really terrible. Stayed in the shop. Then Ford rebranded their trucks and all of a sudden called them Sterlings. Same junk, different nameplate.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Had to do my CDL test in one of those… still had no idea how I passed considering I was horrible shifting that thing..think the CDL tester felt sorry for me…lmao

Had to do my CDL test in one of those… still had no idea how I passed considering I was horrible shifting that thing..think the CDL tester felt sorry for me…lmao

Got a new sterling in 04 as well (former employer), I remember it fondly, actually. It was the first tractor I ever got to drive with an air ride cab, couldn't believe I could finish my day with my spine intact. Lol

Cowboy Mac

Got a new sterling in 04 as well (former employer), I remember it fondly, actually. It was the first tractor I ever got to drive with an air ride cab, couldn't believe I could finish my day with my spine intact. Lol
I never got to drive the Sterlings but I always thought they sounded awesome with the turbo noise driving around the yard. We still have a couple they use for shifting at some of the smaller centers around here.

Johney

I tested in a Sterling also. I found they shifted much easier than the International's.
I always liked the Sterlings...they didn't have the power of the Internationals but they rode like a Cadillac in comparison.
I always used a Sterling until I had a few months under my belt and could shift whatever then I liked the Internationals much better. The 269 I drover was tuned up so it would do 79 mph easily. Nice for when you were pulling a full set and needed to pass.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I took my CDL driving test 38 years ago, I was able to take it in a 12 passenger dodge van with an automatic transmission. Several other drivers and I split the cost to rent it and take our tests. I'm sure you couldn't do that nowadays.

qdg2

When I took my CDL driving test 38 years ago, I was able to take it in a 12 passenger dodge van with an automatic transmission. Several other drivers and I split the cost to rent it and take our tests. I'm sure you couldn't do that nowadays.
My training was free........no rental.......and no pay! It's still hard to believe the Union agreed to voluntary training off the clock.

I always wondered if you could have been fired for an accident or any other scenario? Most of us were so glad to get out of package we did just about whatever. Company knew this too. Union could have cared less.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My training was free........no rental.......and no pay! It's still hard to believe the Union agreed to voluntary training off the clock.

Depends on your supplement.

"Upon completion of tractor-trailer school, the Employer will determine whether the employee is qualified to drive tractor-trailers and whether the employee will be placed on the qualified list. When an employee is placed on the qualified list he/she shall be compensated forty (40) hours at the appropriate straight time hourly rate."

Johney

Still that way here. Plus an hour+ ride to and from, some had a two hour+ ride to the hub everyday for training. All unpaid. Then back down for the test.

ManInBrown

I still see one pulling into Meadow every once in a while. I’ve also seen the flat nose International pull in as I’m leaving. It’s a 270. Both within the last year.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I still see one pulling into Meadow every once in a while. I’ve also seen the flat nose International pull in as I’m leaving. It’s a 270. Both within the last year.
They are crushing all of the 276 Mack’s here so how can they still be driving flat nose internationals around…??? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild before.