Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sorry. Well it's been asked 100 times before. And 2-3 in the last month.

Amen Brother! This post earns a big fat Freddy!... Wait?..Fat...Feeders?...Oh well...

giphy.gif

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Do you have to be a full time driver before you can go into feeders?
Like others have said it depends. I was a part timer who went into full time feeders. However they were in desperate need and not enough package car drivers wanted to go so they went to part timers. We have had maybe almost 100 new drivers since I went into feeders, some of us part time, some of us full time.

QKRSTKR

They make people do their road test in a manual here. The training cars are manuals also.
Right, but all new package cars are automatics. This newer generation really have never driven manual transmissions.

In feeders it really doesn't matter. Like I said, once on highway don't shift much anyways. Might benefit guys during the day that get stuck in traffic.

Brown Now

My assigned is a Mack w/a tag axle...they suck when it's not raining as well.....:-)
I have a 275xxx LNG Mack with the tag that I use to run LCVs. When I'm in snow or really heavy rain,I hit the Mud/Snow switch on the dash. It will dump some air out of the tag. You'll feel the drives start to bite. Trust me it works.

When you do this the ATC light will appear and flash until you hit the button again to deactivate it. I've driven from TOLOH to WPOIN with triples many a time in snow and icy rain and it definitely makes a difference. I toggle it on and off as needed. It will not hurt anything.

MaceFremonti

It has been almost TWO years since I have gotten 5th wheel grease on myself.....

So today at NEWPA I have a shifter spot a dolly for me since I am in a rental. When I pretrip it I notice a ton of 5th wheel grease all over the glad hand seals and air lines. No big deal. I make a mental note to be aware of it.

Fast forward three hours later when my lead trailer finally inbounds. I get all hooked up and lo amd behold no lights on the back trailer. I fiddle with the electric line connection on the rear box and BOOM! I have lights. Hooray!

I walk back to my tractor and get a zip tie to shim the plug. As I reach up and redo the connection in the back of my head I hear "...5th wheel grease..." just as the air lines slide down the whole left side of my body!

Took me a good half hour to clean all the grease off my shirt, pants, and arm!

As I am walking back from the bathroom I run into another one of our drivers that go to NEWPA.

He points at my uniform, laughs, and says, "Still a rookie!"

I just nod my head and grin.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yeah those rentals seem to have mud flaps that stick up and catch all the grease off the trailer.
When that happens its better just to order new clothes.

Johney

Pineapple King
So rather than slip on a (disposable) set of coveralls you would prefer to get grease all over your uniform?
It's a rarity and something that usually only happens to the rookies. Grease on their left or right shoulder(depending if they're left or right handed) from pulling the fifth wheel. Grease from the dolly is a silent killer, you don't expect it and it will get you when you least expect it. Putting on overalls every time you hook-up? Nah. Do you stop and put on a raincoat when it's raining at every stop?

Johney

Pineapple King
How often do you guys breakdown and set up a trailer(s)?
One of the rail yards is less than 15 minutes from a hub you do the math.

Get grease all over yourselves----I couldn't care less.
Reread Mac's post or mine for that matter, it's a rarity to get grease on yourself unless you are a rookie.

Just make sure to get the loads here on time.Just make sure you get your pick-up pieces in on time.