Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Right, but all new package cars are automatics. This newer generation really have never driven manual transmissions.

In feeders it really doesn't matter. Like I said, once on highway don't shift much anyways. Might benefit guys during the day that get stuck in traffic.

Yeah, unless you're assigned a tractor with a manual transmission.

Yeah those rentals seem to have mud flaps that stick up and catch all the grease off the trailer.
When that happens its better just to order new clothes.

We're told to take all rentals back to the shop and get the mudflaps removed.

So rather than slip on a (disposable) set of coveralls you would prefer to get grease all over your uniform?
Yeah those rentals seem to have mud flaps that stick up and catch all the grease off the trailer.
When that happens its better just to order new clothes.

After you drive for awhile, it's rare to get grease on your uniform. No feeder driver has ever been seen wearing coveralls. Now THAT would be the ultimate sign of a rookie.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I am trying to learn more about a part of the operation I know very little about.

Being a grease monkey is something every feeder driver goes through. The joke I was told when I came back to feeders, was you will order two new sets of uniforms once you make it as a feeder driver: the first set is to replace all of the greasy uniforms, and the second set is to accommodate your new fatman body.

Johney

Pineapple King
Most days it takes a "seasoned" feeder driver almost an hour to beak a set down....I'm at about 50 minutes....need to find that additional $8.50....errr I mean extra10 minutes...

:-)
No offense but 50 minutes? What is it 10 miles round trip to the dolly dump spot or are you incorporating in the traditional 20 minute talk session with your feeder buddies?

Coldworld

For the 5 minutes or so that it takes you to break down a set?
Is there any threads on this entire brown cafe website where you haven't posted some comment...except maybe "what's cooking" and the only reason you don't post on that thread is that moreluck will school your a $$ on cooking skills. ...and you continually tell others to get a life...

Coldworld

I am trying to learn more about a part of the operation I know very little about.
Is that even possible...you know more about this company than ANYONE else that has been posting on here...you really should be the historian for ups when you finally leave..Every large company has one and I'm sure the ceo of ups would find you more than capable in that roll...

Coldworld

Most days it takes a "seasoned" feeder driver almost an hour to beak a set down....I'm at about 50 minutes....need to find that additional $8.50....errr I mean extra10 minutes...
In your experience how long would it take a rookie in the real world..not ie world to break down a set??

:-)

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Well, Upstate has come on a feeder forum and told feeder drivers how to drive and how long it should take them to do an aspect of their job. He is now feeder qualified. Should probably go to Chicago and teach DTS, since he knows all there is to know about tractor trailer driving. Maybe he should stick to something that he thinks he knows everything about.