Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If you had an accident they would have denied extending you.

In cases like this I have the dispatcher get a driver standing around to witness him (dispatcher) instructing me to extend.

You should tell the dispatcher that you are calling the DOT--only to get a clarification, of course--and you need to know how to spell the dispatcher's last name. Then watch the squirming begin...

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a dispatcher call me in the office once when my night was almost complete.. He told me they had an overflow and he had to have me take a single to a meet point about 2 hours away from our hub. He threw me some keys and told me to take this tractor. You are already late. Don't bother to pretrip, just go. I was new to feeders. I got to the meet point and there were several drivers from my building already waiting on some drivers from Mesquite and Dallas. I drop my load and go over to hang out with the other drivers to wait. One of the guys asked me if they had fixed the flat on that tractor I was in. I checked it and one of the inside duals was flat. The driver told me he had caught it and refused to drive it. I asked him who he had talked to about it and he told me the same guy who had dispatched me. So he had dispatched me with a tractor who he knew had a flat, and told me not to pretrip it. I was pist, and raised hell when I came back in. I know it was my fault for not pretripping. I learned a big lesson. I never did that again. Bottom line is, management will tell you most anything to get their arse covered, to hell with your safety, or the safety of the general public.

UPS4Life

Some brand new automatic wide nose diesel Kenworths on the clock at my home domicile. Proximity sensors on them too....276xxx....
Rumor mill started that jersey got new 276 kenworth's and they have a camera watching out and one watching the driver. Any truth to this?

MaceFremonti

Rumor mill started that jersey got new 276 kenworth's and they have a camera watching out and one watching the driver. Any truth to this?

There is a front facing camera. Don't know about in the cab, havn't got to really check one out yet. First day we had them they all went to the railroad yard, I guess to break them in down and dirty.

MoarTape

I've heard that the cameras activate and take a picture of the driver and the road if you hit the brakes too hard. Don't think they are on continuously.

Oh, and what was the "big event" out in Harrisburg?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There was a rumor of cameras in the cab many years ago when we had the Ivis that you carried out to the cab and plugged it in. That was a rumor only. I would think with all the technology they already have to track us, that this would be an example of too much information and technology that is not needed. Just my .02.

UPS4Life

I've heard that the cameras activate and take a picture of the driver and the road if you hit the brakes too hard. Don't think they are on continuously.

Oh, and what was the "big event" out in Harrisburg?
It was a "steer clear" demo. Had a cop car, fire truck, penndot trucks and a wrecker. Just trying to make you aware of the slow down and move over for emergency vehicles.
Back in 2012 one of our local wreckers was at the 581/83 split with a roll back picking up a car when a truck driver clipped him and never knew.
Something I learned though was that it's illegal to pass a snow plow when his plow is down and if you hit him they will treat that as hitting an emergency vehicle on the shoulder and lose your license.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How many of you big boys have seen the movie "Over the top" (1987)? Sylvester Stallone lifts weights while driving his rig. Possible?

MaceFremonti

New KW single screw on the left, it's older twin screw big brother in the middle, and a red headed step child on the right...

Attachments

• 1431025630084.jpg
    1431025630084.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 236

UPS4Life

UPS driver arrested after big rig runs off I-75 in Laurel County
I think he gets the dumbace of the year award. There's literally no excuse for that what so ever. I'd be interested if he keeps his job but for a move like that I hope there's no chance.

P

pickup

How many of you big boys have seen the movie "Over the top" (1987)? Sylvester Stallone lifts weights while driving his rig. Possible?

I love that movie, no sleeper, he gets valet parking. It was literally over the top for sheer ridiculousness.

bluehdmc

We got a message that the height of the new KW's is 13' 2" so they won't fit through the Lincoln Tunnel, same as the old KW's. Is this rocket science or what?
You'd think since so much stuff in NJ goes into NYC they would have spec'd them out for no more than 13'.