MoarTape

I used to see LCs like that all the time at newpa with the latches ziptied open, I'd have to cut them off and redo them while wondering what genius couldn't comprehend how a simple latch and pin system is supposed to work. Picked up a thru load at burmd not too long ago with no zipties and one of the pins open, someone brought it all the way from harpa like that.

It was never mentioned to me during my training time with my on road. It was actually the feeder driver that does safety that trained me on that. He helps mentor new drivers if he's able. They actually let him come in and do nothing but safety/training all day. (although, they do have him back out on road now)

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Holy smilet!

Last week in Wyoming. You can hear everyone's anti-locks as they try to stop...except for the Fed-Ex set...he never slows down...

These stupid ass half tard m'fers'! Please forgive my outrage, but WTF! Snow, ice and poor visibility AND they're flying down the highway?! M'fers should be sitting in prison for endangering lives like this. NOTHING we move is worth this! UPS feeder knows this and I'm proud of the mantra: Safety, safety, safety, that we preach. I hope to never see this in real life. Wow.

UPS4Life

These stupid ass half tard m'fers'! Please forgive my outrage, but WTF! Snow, ice and poor visibility AND they're flying down the highway?! M'fers should be sitting in prison for endangering lives like this. NOTHING we move is worth this! UPS feeder knows this and I'm proud of the mantra: Safety, safety, safety, that we preach. I hope to never see this in real life. Wow.
Not that it's an excuse but it was noted this was on the other side of a hill so you couldn't see ahead.

Should be sitting in jail for endangering lives? Which ones since EVERYBODY decided they needed to go out on the road and drive. The cars trying to drive up the middle should get a silver spoon.

Kicked Your Dog

Not that it's an excuse but it was noted this was on the other side of a hill so you couldn't see ahead.

Should be sitting in jail for endangering lives? Which ones since EVERYBODY decided they needed to go out on the road and drive. The cars trying to drive up the middle should get a silver spoon.
When you're a feeder driver you're expected to drive according to the basic speed law (weather, equipment conditions). Obviously, the majority of these fools didn't heed the road conditions. Also, the laws are much more strict for Class A drivers. We are considered "professional drivers" and are expected to have an advanced grasp for road hazards and safety. Many of these drivers appeared to be traveling at grotesquely disproportionate speeds for conditions AND lives were lost. I hope the drivers who exasserbated the situation were convicted and punished severely. As for the civilian drivers, stupid is as stupid does, but they are not professional Class A certified drivers and are not nearly as much to blame as the pros. My hat's off to The RL driver pulling doubles and the Wal Mart drivers, especially. They piloted their machines correctly and did not add to the carnage, despite being victims to it.

QKRSTKR

We have some new KWs with an interesting camera mounted on the windshield... :glare:
It's for the lane centering device.

Seen a new ken worth at our hub. Automatic, proximity alarms. Auto brake if you get to close to vehicle in front of you should be awesome on snow and ice when a super trucker cuts you off and your brakes apply.

bluehdmc

Seen a new ken worth at our hub. Automatic, proximity alarms. Auto brake if you get to close to vehicle in front of you should be awesome on snow and ice when a super trucker cuts you off and your brakes apply.

Let alone just the way most cars and trucks move back into your lane when passing you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Talking to a mechanic last night he said all new tractors from now on would be automatics with all the safety features, UPS won't be buying any more manuals the goal is to get the whole fleet switched over. We'll see.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Had lunch this week with one of our sleeper team guys. He said they had like 10 of the new tractors in our fleet with the lane centering functions built in. Supposed to be like 25 more come in the next few weeks. Drivers say the warning is annoying till you get used to it. The wave of the future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had lunch this week with one of our sleeper team guys. He said they had like 10 of the new tractors in our fleet with the lane centering functions built in. Supposed to be like 25 more come in the next few weeks. Drivers say the warning is annoying till you get used to it. The wave of the future.

The "wave of the future" will include cameras mounted in the cab to monitor both the driver and the road ahead.

P

pickup

Earlier in the week, I drove one of the new kenworths. It was my first time, but I heard some things about it.

I suppose it gets some getting used to , but I don't like it. The automatic gearing isn't as quick as I can do it in a regular tractor . I did notice that there is a manual option where you (the driver) can shift gears. To go manual, you slide the gear selector from automatic to manual. On the side of the gear selector are two buttons. The top bottom allows you to go to a higher gear and the bottom button allows you to go to a lower gear. The ability to jump to a higher or lower gear might depend on your rpm. I am sure that it is somewhat the case but I don't know the exact limits but then again your rpm dictates your ability to jump gears in a regular transmission tractor as well.

My regular tractor was in the shop and I got to ride the new ken worth for about 5 hours . I drove to a different hub and on the way there, I stayed with the automatic mode. I must have been really leaving a great following distance as the beeping noise that indicates that I am getting to close to a vehicle in front of me , did not go off. Only later, when traffic tightened up at the exit, did that beeping noise go off.

There is also a gizmo that audibly "informs" the driver if he going over the solid white line on the side of the road. Presumably, this is to wake up a driver who is nodding off . Fortunately, this feature can be disabled for 15 (or 20 , not exactly sure) minutes at a time by pushing a button on the dashboard. It might activate for broken white lines but I did not have it functioning when I was in the middle lane. I did notice it went off when I was in the right lane and moving a little over the white line when a tractor trailer in the middle lane was leaning into my space.

On the way back to my home hub, I went into manual mode once I got in the highway and played with it for awhile, there is a visual indicator on a lcd screen near or where the speedometer is that tells you what gear you are in(you can't tell by where the gear selector is , it just stays in one place unlike the stick shift on the manual transmissions we are all familiar with. So I played with the "manual" for about 10 minutes or so to see what it was about and then went back to automatic mode. I was playing with it experimentally and tentatively so I didn't figure out if I could do a better job shifting the truck than the automatic.

When I got closer to my home hub, traffic tightened up and my vehicle collision avoidance system was beeping up a storm. I THINK that the truck was either braking slightly on its own or the fuel to the engine was being governed to prevent it from going faster. I wasn't able to determine if either was truly happening as my foot was going to the brake at pretty much the same time. I didn't want to push the issue to determine if either were the case as I didn't want to get any closer to the vehicle in front of me. If the brakes are being applied automatically or fuel throttled(cut back) automatically. I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. I could think of an instance or two where this can be not so safe. As the post I quoted said, not great on snow and ice to have a system do it for you. I can also see myself trying to move into the middle lane to the left of me, cutting in front of another vehicle knowing I can do it and then as I do it have a car from the left lane cut in front of me as I enter the middle lane while the same car continues over to the right lane to get to his exit. That's all fine and dandy but the system might slightly brake me or throttle me (cut my fuel) while that car is momentarily in front of me leaving me a slightly dead duck in front of the vehicle I just cut in front of .

Anyway, I broke my cherry on the new vehicle. I am sure I can adjust to it more . Being a new truck, I thoroughly enjoyed the very powerful air-conditioning. Like all new tractors we are getting, it has a radio in the dashboard and I played it a little louder than I would normally do to drown out that beeping noise. I don't like Kenworths, I think the noses are too damn long. I moved the seat up all the way and I still didn't like the view I got of the front. There is a mirror mounted in the front that shows the right side of your tractor. Thank god that the mirror is there as the pole it is mounted on tells me where my front is.

I feel, with my limited experience with with the vehicle avoidance collision system, I can say that it is pretty good for the highway but probably lousy for tighter urban environments like NYC. With my more involved experience with Kenworths, great for the highway, lousy for urban environments.

I look back and see this is a somewhat half baked post and am inclined to delete but for the sake of others who have yet to take their virgin journeys on the new KW with the vehicle collision avoidance system, I will let it stand.

Kicked Your Dog

Earlier in the week, I drove one of the new kenworths. It was my first time, but I heard some things about it.

I suppose it gets some getting used to , but I don't like it. The automatic gearing isn't as quick as I can do it in a regular tractor . I did notice that there is a manual option where you (the driver) can shift gears. To go manual, you slide the gear selector from automatic to manual. On the side of the gear selector are two buttons. The top bottom allows you to go to a higher gear and the bottom button allows you to go to a lower gear. The ability to jump to a higher or lower gear might depend on your rpm. I am sure that it is somewhat the case but I don't know the exact limits but then again your rpm dictates your ability to jump gears in a regular transmission tractor as well.

My regular tractor was in the shop and I got to ride the new ken worth for about 5 hours . I drove to a different hub and on the way there, I stayed with the automatic mode. I must have been really leaving a great following distance as the beeping noise that indicates that I am getting to close to a vehicle in front of me , did not go off. Only later, when traffic tightened up at the exit, did that beeping noise go off.

There is also a gizmo that audibly "informs" the driver if he going over the solid white line on the side of the road. Presumably, this is to wake up a driver who is nodding off . Fortunately, this feature can be disabled for 15 (or 20 , not exactly sure) minutes at a time by pushing a button on the dashboard. It might activate for broken white lines but I did not have it functioning when I was in the middle lane. I did notice it went off when I was in the right lane and moving a little over the white line when a tractor trailer in the middle lane was leaning into my space.

On the way back to my home hub, I went into manual mode once I got in the highway and played with it for awhile, there is a visual indicator on a lcd screen near or where the speedometer is that tells you what gear you are in(you can't tell by where the gear selector is , it just stays in one place unlike the stick shift on the manual transmissions we are all familiar with. So I played with the "manual" for about 10 minutes or so to see what it was about and then went back to automatic mode. I was playing with it experimentally and tentatively so I didn't figure out if I could do a better job shifting the truck than the automatic.

When I got closer to my home hub, traffic tightened up and my vehicle collision avoidance system was beeping up a storm. I THINK that the truck was either braking slightly on its own or the fuel to the engine was being governed to prevent it from going faster. I wasn't able to determine if either was truly happening as my foot was going to the brake at pretty much the same time. I didn't want to push the issue to determine if either were the case as I didn't want to get any closer to the vehicle in front of me. If the brakes are being applied automatically or fuel throttled(cut back) automatically. I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. I could think of an instance or two where this can be not so safe. As the post I quoted said, not great on snow and ice to have a system do it for you. I can also see myself trying to move into the middle lane to the left of me, cutting in front of another vehicle knowing I can do it and then as I do it have a car from the left lane cut in front of me as I enter the middle lane while the same car continues over to the right lane to get to his exit. That's all fine and dandy but the system might slightly brake me or throttle me (cut my fuel) while that car is momentarily in front of me leaving me a slightly dead duck in front of the vehicle I just cut in front of .

Anyway, I broke my cherry on the new vehicle. I am sure I can adjust to it more . Being a new truck, I thoroughly enjoyed the very powerful air-conditioning. Like all new tractors we are getting, it has a radio in the dashboard and I played it a little louder than I would normally do to drown out that beeping noise. I don't like Kenworths, I think the noses are too damn long. I moved the seat up all the way and I still didn't like the view I got of the front. There is a mirror mounted in the front that shows the right side of your tractor. Thank god that the mirror is there as the pole it is mounted on tells me where my front is.

I feel, with my limited experience with with the vehicle avoidance collision system, I can say that it is pretty good for the highway but probably lousy for tighter urban environments like NYC. With my more involved experience with Kenworths, great for the highway, lousy for urban environments.

I look back and see this is a somewhat half baked post and am inclined to delete but for the sake of others who have yet to take their virgin journeys on the new KW with the vehicle collision avoidance system, I will let it stand.
Here, in Sleepers, they stick a small square of duct tape to the windshield, in front of the camera lens, on the outside; lane warning alarm problem solved. Nothing you can do about the auto brake, though. It sucks when someone passes you and changes lanes into yours, and is going faster than you, while you're using cruise control.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The International I drove for years had a habit of lighting up a service engine soon light. The first time it happened, I took it by the shop and showed it to the mechanic. He gave me a roll of black electrical tape. He said here, put a piece of this on your dash to cover up the light. lol.