Atheists

wkmac

Several years ago, the BBC did an 8 part series on Christianity and regardless of belief or non belief, IMO it's worth the watch. But since a couple of posters were discussing the term Judeo-Christian and it's applicable to current ideals, I thought I'd post the first presentation of that series which might offer a little clarity to the discussion.

Christianity. A History - 1. Jesus the Jew - YouTube

Upsmule

Was America founded as a christian nation? Is there an actual separation of church and state?

This 6 part series takes that point on and comes to some interesting conclusions.

The Real Wall (TaylorX04) - YouTube

America was not founded as a Christian Nation. But many of the founders happened to believe the bible both Old and New Testament. They created a form of government that was supposed to protect ones right to worship -or not- however one chooses, period. There's more than ample evidence, regardless of actual history or revisionist history that these men and women new their bibles and prayed to and trusted the God of the bible. If this is not so, when do we begin sand blasting the scripture verses off of every single monument to any of these men all over our nations capital today?

Upsmule

Haha...thats like sating, "If you don't agree with the holocaust, don't have one."

Just turn a blind eye and so nothing about the slaughter of innocents? Ya, the typical liberal way, got it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Haha...thats like sating, "If you don't agree with the holocaust, don't have one."

Just turn a blind eye and so nothing about the slaughter of innocents? Ya, the typical liberal way, got it.

Come on, are you really going there? I guess all the innocent victims of GOP-led wars were OK because they were for "freedom", "against Commies", or "for God"?

Upsmule

Come on, are you really going there? I guess all the innocent victims of GOP-led wars were OK because they were for "freedom", "against Commies", or "for God"?

Again, whatever helps you sleep at night. The Marxist you voted for and defend is just as much of a warmonger as Bush. Only worse, he chooses to fight with one arm tied behind our backs. Such moral high ground.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
bqpPtOq.png

upswife75

Exodus 11:4-6

So Moses said, “This is what the Lord says: ‘About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. 5 Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well. 6 There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again.

Upsmule

Exodus 11:4-6

So Moses said, “This is what the Lord says: ‘About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. 5 Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well. 6 There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again.

Ah yes, the first Passover. If you continue to read you see how, anyone who had "the blood of a lamb" over the door post of their house was "saved."

Go figure huh? ;)

upswife75

Ah yes, the first Passover. If you continue to read you see how, anyone who had "the blood of a lamb" over the door post of their house was "saved."

Go figure huh? ;)

Yes, only the Israelites. Still doesn't justify the slaughtering of all the first born of Egypt, just to get back at one man (the Pharaoh) for hardening his heart about releasing the Israelites people, especially given the fact that " the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh" so that he would not let his people go. So much for that free will bit, eh? So the all powerful god couldn't just force the man to let his people go, so instead just to what, prove his might, he slaughtered all the first born, including the innocents that had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on? Awesome!

Upsmule

Go figure huh? ;)

Yes, only the Israelites. Still doesn't justify the slaughtering of all the first born of Egypt, just to get back at one man (the Pharaoh) for hardening his heart about releasing the Israelites people, especially given the fact that " the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh" so that he would not let his people go. So much for that free will bit, eh? So the all powerful god couldn't just force the man to let his people go, so instead just to what, prove his might, he slaughtered all the first born, including the innocents that had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on? Awesome!

Well, it's all there in black and white for one to take it or leave it....but according to the Scriptures Pharaoh as well as the Egyptians had ample warning to simply apply lambs blood to the door posts of their homes and be spared. Interesting how - who knows how many first born Egyptians - could have been killed by slaves that had been in captivity for over 400 years or so, even the first born of the King himself?

Not to mention plague after plague leading up to it....literally mocking every false god the Egyptians worshiped. No, God didn't harden his heart - yes that's what the English translation reads - but what God did was allow Pharaohs own iron clad will and hard heartedness to bring about the inevitable.

Again - take it or leave it.

bbsam

Staff member
The use of scripture to justify ones socio-political views (both left and right) is fairly reprehensible. I may at times use it to explain why I believe or live a certain way, but not to TELL OTHERS HOW TO LIVE.

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem with quoting scripture is it is frequently misquoted or taken out of context. Taking verses out of context leads to all kinds of error and misunderstanding. Understanding context begins with four principles: literal meaning (what it says), historical setting (the events of the story, to whom is it addressed, and how it was understood at that time), grammar (the immediate sentence and paragraph within which a word or phrase is found) and synthesis (comparing it with other parts of Scripture for a fuller meaning).

bbsam

Staff member
The problem with quoting scripture is it is frequently misquoted or taken out of context. Taking verses out of context leads to all kinds of error and misunderstanding. Understanding context begins with four principles: literal meaning (what it says), historical setting (the events of the story, to whom is it addressed, and how it was understood at that time), grammar (the immediate sentence and paragraph within which a word or phrase is found) and synthesis (comparing it with other parts of Scripture for a fuller meaning).

True. However, I think a more insidious force drives the issue. A self-centered desire to be divinely justified.

Upsmule

True. However, I think a more insidious force drives the issue. A self-centered desire to be divinely justified.

Ah your almost there! To be divinely justified one must first die to ones self.

Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." --Luke 9:23

Not a lot that going on that's for sure.

bbsam

Staff member
But the self-centered, intellectual pride of divine justification negates the ability to die to oneself.