Been fired ! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadep

I worked with Klein here in Edmonton. He was a hard working individual who did his run and kept his nose clean, except for the one inexcusale mistake of having a beer on the clock. He paid the price by losing his job.

Now some facts,
A fellow teamster told management that Klein had told them that he was heading to Boston Pizza for a beer and to use up his remaining lunch time.
Something that can get you kicked out of the union is ratting out another member to mangement. Although in this instance, personally, I think it was warranted.

Secondly Boston Pizzas manager conducted the interview of his bartender, where he admitted to giving Klein a reciept for a non-alcoholic beer, even though it was a regular beer. Had this gone to a formal complaint against the bar and Alberta Liquor and Gaming stepped in, Boston Pizza could very well have lost there liquor lisence.
(tust me, been there seen it happen)

When Klein was terminated,the grievance proceedure was begun. Therefore he was not able to collect his vacation pay and record of employment, as he legally was still in the employ of U.P.S. until all grievances and any arbitration hearings are finished or withdrawn this is THE LAW!!!

Klein knows he screwed up royally, as he and I share a common friend and I often ask how Klein is doing, as he is a kind and gentle man, who came into U.P.S. a wide eyed overwelmed rookie needing extra encouragement and help along the way, as most of us probably did in the beginning of our careers. But he caught on, learned the job on the fly with virtually no training, as we couldn't afford to train our people at the time of Kleins hire. Basically an inteview at that time consisted of a regular pulse and the ability to breath in and out on your own. Hell, we even hired drivers with invalid drivers lisences, we where in such dire straits to hire anyone.

To mak a long story short, yeah yeah I know, to late. Klein screwed up, but it doesn't make him a bad person.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Interesting there Wadep

When Klein was terminated,the grievance proceedure was begun. Therefore he was not able to collect his vacation pay and record of employment, as he legally was still in the employ of U.P.S. until all grievances and any arbitration hearings are finished or withdrawn this is THE LAW!!!

Problem is that Klein might be a nice guy and all, but he has no grip on reality. This from a post earlier today

This ain't even the end of the story yet.
My city news channel, wants to make a story out of it (not for the dismissal), but companies not obeying to the labour laws that are in place, and they don't get penalized for it.

So the lies continue.

d

klein

Für Meno :)
I worked with Klein here in Edmonton. He was a hard working individual who did his run and kept his nose clean, except for the one inexcusale mistake of having a beer on the clock. He paid the price by losing his job.

Now some facts,
A fellow teamster told management that Klein had told them that he was heading to Boston Pizza for a beer and to use up his remaining lunch time.
Something that can get you kicked out of the union is ratting out another member to mangement. Although in this instance, personally, I think it was warranted.

Secondly Boston Pizzas manager conducted the interview of his bartender, where he admitted to giving Klein a reciept for a non-alcoholic beer, even though it was a regular beer. Had this gone to a formal complaint against the bar and Alberta Liquor and Gaming stepped in, Boston Pizza could very well have lost there liquor lisence.
(tust me, been there seen it happen)

Klein knows he screwed up royally, as he and I share a common friend and I often ask how Klein is doing, as he is a kind and gentle man, who came into U.P.S. a wide eyed overwelmed rookie needing extra encouragement and help along the way, as most of us probably did in the beginning of our careers. But he caught on, learned the job on the fly with virtually no training, as we couldn't afford to train our people at the time of Kleins hire. Basically an inteview at that time consisted of a regular pulse and the ability to breath in and out on your own. Hell, we even hired drivers with invalid drivers lisences, we where in such dire straits to hire anyone.

To mak a long story short, yeah yeah I know, to late. Klein screwed up, but it doesn't make him a bad person.

Thanks Wade, I knew it was you when you wrote me before !
I really appreciate your nice and kind words.
I did like working with you there, too ! Trust me, and my fellow friend and coworker that was parked next to me.
How are things going there, anyways, are they still cutting runs on a daily basis ?
I heard G.C. is gone (got fired), is that true ?

I do miss you all. Since we all started our new hub from scratch.
And spent lots of time together mornings, preloading.

Thanks alot Wade !
Say hi to "Captain" ..:)

klein

Interesting there Wadep

Problem is that Klein might be a nice guy and all, but he has no grip on reality. This from a post earlier today

So the lies continue.

d
They aren't lies ! Global Edmonton News is looking into it.
I got an e-mail today from them.
They are doing thier own investigation to see if they broke the law or not.
Wade was my new shopsteward.
He does know these things better then I do.
I will keep you updated, what the news channel comes up with.

wadep

Yes our fellow friend parked next to you keeps me updated on your status of dayto day life. G.C. wasn't fired, much to the dismay of many, bu his days are numbered. So there's always hope,

klein

Yes our fellow friend parked next to you keeps me updated on your status of dayto day life. G.C. wasn't fired, much to the dismay of many, bu his days are numbered. So there's always hope,

yeah, too bad.
Thanks again for those kind words ! Big Hugs !
:peaceful:

klein

Hey easy with the big hugs buddy, I'm not the guy parked on the other side of you *LMAO*:greedy:

Laughing out loud on that one.
But, that's another whole different topic, that I would have lots to say about (no one can harm me now, I can openly speak).
One bright side.

hdkappler

:crazy2::beerhat::happy2:
Well, as a package driver for 15months, working hard, 3 out of 5 days, no time for lunchbreaks (without having misses), I went to a restaurant/lounge after my truck was parked and unloaded in the depot, and my turn and cash-in was done.(to spend my lunchbreak).
Yes, I had 1 beer. Manager came inside, told me to leave, and her and a supervisor drove me back to the depot .And I was fired !
That was 7weeks ago. I finally received my outstanding vacation pay yesterday. And I'm still waiting for my Record of Employment (so , I can collect Unemployment Insurance). Usually , by law, that should have been issued to me within a week ! I went to UPS yesterday to finally retrieve it, after they promised they would give it to me, after I return my uniforms, which I done.
But, nope, still wasn't available. Got told they'll send it by mail.
So, I stopped at the Bosten Pizza (restaurant/lounge) on my way home. Just to talk to the Bartender (and have a beer), and tell him I was fired for that incident. And then the incredible happens!!! : He wouldn't serve me. Told me UPS tore that place apart. Even telling him I been fired 7weeks ago, I still couldn't get served.
So, thats how they treat you once being fired !
And needless to say, without that pinkslip, I'm still not able to collect Unemployment funds.
Honestly, I should have just taken my lunch during my run, regardless of having misses !
Thats how they treat us here in Edmonton, Canada !

UPDATE:
Received my pinkslip this week, will probably lose 2 weeks of Employment benefits. But seriously thinking taking UPS to small claims court.
also, I think a good explaination, why I probably have been fired, is that 3 steady runs, have already been cut (meaning 3 people showing up for work in the morning, not really knowing what to do for the day), plus ofcourse the subsitute drivers we have.
Yes, the recession hit here, too. And UPS takes Pride of not having layoffs in bad times (compared to Fedex), you probably all heard that in pcm's.

But, yes.. they have the "firing squad" out. 1 mistake your gone !
:dead:mr.swift.when they handed out brains you said trains.missed it.

filthpig

"...I had 1 beer..."
'Nuff said.
Enjoy unemployment. It ain't what it used to be. It's more real.

Last edited by a moderator:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You guys don't get it. MY JOB was Done ! Truck unloaded. In the depot ! All I had left to do, was complete my outstanding lunchbreak ! and then go home.
im sorry you had to learn such a lesson the hard way. Until you turn in all UPS property and complete your day, You belong to UPS.
If you had hit someone on your way back from the "restaurant lounge" you would have been on the clock and UPS would be responsible. Even if it was totally the other persons fault.
I dont know what your chances are, if any of getting back. You were not officially done with your work day. So you were drinking on the clock.

klein

im sorry you had to learn such a lesson the hard way. Until you turn in all UPS property and complete your day, You belong to UPS.
If you had hit someone on your way back from the "restaurant lounge" you would have been on the clock and UPS would be responsible. Even if it was totally the other persons fault.
I dont know what your chances are, if any of getting back. You were not officially done with your work day. So you were drinking on the clock.

Thanks tooner.
Was nicely said.

No chance of returning now.
Sent out a resume today,actually, for a sort of a dreamjob (beerline service technician) , go to bars and restaurants, fix thier lines.

See if I get it. I got some good past quailifications in that sort of field .

But, yes, my plans were to stay with UPS until I retire. But life goes on.
Everything happens for a reason.
I know I wasn't happy leaving my home just after 7am, and not returning until 8 or 9pm.
Maybe, I'll get lucky, and find something I really like..:)

Oh, I had to take my lunch often after work. Went to the mall to buy a printer, or did grocery shopping, or just getting fuel, and carwash (personal vehicle).
I don't know, how UPS regulates that.
But they can't expect me to stay after work at the center for an hr, and we don't even have a lunchroom.

But, again,

Thanks Tooner !

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I don't think leaving the center in a personal vehicle would be allowed here. Never asked.
Actually Klein, you are not suppose to take your lunch after work, thats called dinner, but they do force us into it. Or take a stand and refuse to do it the wrong way, and take it smack dab in the mid day and then stress how to get business off. They know that that is why they do it. Hoping by the time you finally get done you will put your lunch in as some bogus time, and not take it at all.
We do it here, you can leave and go do errands, I dont know how that would work if you had an accident in your own car, On UPS time.
Im not a fan of taking my lunch on area, I hate my area, I see your point klein. So I have gotten into the habit of taking 10 15 minutes here or there, at Walgreens, rite aid, dollar store, whatever and use up my time, because I for one when I hit the building it is beer thirty, so I want to hit the gate and go.
I am sorry it happened, and I hope you find your dream. I almost wished it would happen to me, be forced out before I got stuck, killing time waiting to get out. Good luck, beer jobs, yeah thats my fantasy!

klein

Actually Klein, you are not suppose to take your lunch after work, thats called dinner, but they do force us into it. Or take a stand and refuse to do it the wrong way, and take it smack dab in the mid day and then stress how to get business off. They know that that is why they do it. Hoping by the time you finally get done you will put your lunch in as some bogus time, and not take it at all.
We do it here, you can leave and go do errands, I dont know how that would work if you had an accident in your own car, On UPS time.
Im not a fan of taking my lunch on area, I hate my area, I see your point klein. So I have gotten into the habit of taking 10 15 minutes here or there, at Walgreens, rite aid, dollar store, whatever and use up my time, because I for one when I hit the building it is beer thirty, so I want to hit the gate and go.
I am sorry it happened, and I hope you find your dream. I almost wished it would happen to me, be forced out before I got stuck, killing time waiting to get out. Good luck, beer jobs, yeah thats my fantasy!

I gave away many lunchbreaks, trust me on that. Only way to get the job done.
Then , I finally had enough, either took them like you (dollarstore, walmart, even groceries, and sometimes just food, or even haircuts).

Wssn't alway possible though. So, either give away lunch, or stick around the center afterwards.
For me it's beer time too, afterwork. Thats what got me in trouble and fired.
Esspecially on a hot sweaty day like it was.

But, yes, would be neat if I hear back from that resume I sent out today.
I'll keep you updated on that one, if I do hear back.

Thats a job, I'ld love to do. Usage of my own vehicle too, that has a/c and radio, etc. (they pay milage ).

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I gave away many lunchbreaks, trust me on that. Only way to get the job done.
Then , I finally had enough, either took them like you (dollarstore, walmart, even groceries, and sometimes just food, or even haircuts).

Wssn't alway possible though. So, either give away lunch, or stick around the center afterwards.
For me it's beer time too, afterwork. Thats what got me in trouble and fired.
Esspecially on a hot sweaty day like it was.

But, yes, would be neat if I hear back from that resume I sent out today.
I'll keep you updated on that one, if I do hear back.

Thats a job, I'ld love to do. Usage of my own vehicle too, that has a/c and radio, etc. (they pay milage ).

Got fired for drinking beer on the job and now you are looking to be entrusted to go into drinking establishments, often during non-business hours, to clean tap lines surrounded by multitudes of various fermented beverages? :greedy:

UPSmom

They tell you not to drink while on the clock when you first start, you sign a paper stating you will abide by the rules. Listen to what the senior guys have to say, they've heard it all! Why didn't you just "CODE 5"?????

klein

Code 5, they have abondoned us on that. 60% they'll say no, other 30% they say yes, but they won't enter it, and you won't get paid for it.
A 10% chance , you'll actually get paid for code 5.
That was in our last union meeting, aswell. All , the union told us to do, is take lunches, no matter what, come back with misses.
I should have listened., But Management will pull you into the office every morning for every little bit of excuse they may have (miss- or wrongfully scanned packages, having more then 5 send-agains on board, garbage bin more then half full in your truck - the list goes on). Even been pulled in the office, and asked why I spent 35min at a specific address (ofcourse they didn't know it was Walmart, where I dropped of 159 packages and picked up another78).
Everyone gets pulled into the office every morning, atleast twice per week.
One of our seniour drivers in on vacation right now, he's spending his last 3 days looking for a new job. Can't blame him, things are just getting worse by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.