Cancel culture—-ON TOPIC

bbsam

Staff member
harry and megan are paid 7 million for an interview. the home wrecker makes claims of racism without any details or proof. it sticks
Pierce defends the royal family. he becomes a racist
Cheryl osborne defends pierce as being a good man who is not racist and suddenly becomes a racist.
Lol. That’s what it means to be “cancelled”? C’mon now. That’s a fad! Trump made it all the rage to anger the left. You bought into it. Maybe it just feels different now that Trump lost it for the republicans.

bbsam

Staff member
Cancel culture isn't about boycotting, or getting others to do the same. Anybody who claims to think that's what it is about is either not very bright, or lying. Assuming legality, no one should care what aspects of culture you consume or don't.
Then what is it? I don’t see the difference.

bbsam

Staff member
Did that rant about women’s basketball cut you deep? Did make you think of the Jim Crow era days when police officers would beat the * out of the freedom riders or back when blacks were pulled out of jails by white mobs and lynched? Did it really hurt you that bad Sam? Do you think the mean man ranting about women’s basketball is going to be the next *ing hitler?
No. I think he’ll be fired. After that and a lot of crying about being “cancelled”, some network somewhere will give him a “behind the scenes” position where his diabetic rants won’t offend the public at large.

newfie

Lol. That’s what it means to be “cancelled”? C’mon now. That’s a fad! Trump made it all the rage to anger the left. You bought into it. Maybe it just feels different now that Trump lost it for the republicans.
deflection

bbsam

Staff member
deflection
I’m waiting for an explanation. I’ve been quite clear for months that i don’t believe the BS. The closest I’ve seen is someone saying that cancel culture is not the same as boycotting but no explanation beyond that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I really detest the cancel culture, especially if someone says or does something stupid when they’re young, but I can’t help but wonder if the left-leaning media that Is bemoaning her “cancelation” would speak up so loudly if she was White? I would bet a week’s paycheck they wouldn’t. If anything, they’d be slamming her for being racist and calling for her firing.

bbsam

Staff member

I really detest the cancel culture, especially if someone says or does something stupid when they’re young, but I can’t help but wonder if the left-leaning media that Is bemoaning her “cancelation” would speak up so loudly if she was White? I would bet a week’s paycheck they wouldn’t. If anything, they’d be slamming her for being racist and calling for her firing.
Time to be honest. Let’s say the left leaning media wouldn’t say a thing. If she was white, would the right leaning media say something? This idea that American media is so overwhelmingly left leaning is odd. What about Newsmax, Fox, OAN, NY POST and others.

Alexi is a hottie though.

rod

Retired 23 years
I tend to say more racist crap now than when I was younger. I'm to the point I don't give a crap anymore if someones feelings are hurt.

bbsam

Staff member
I tend to say more racist crap now than when I was younger. I'm to the point I don't give a crap anymore if someones feelings are hurt.
And there’s nothing wrong with that. But it’s not cancelling you if people decide to avoid you or not do business with you. You can be a dick. You can’t force people to associate with a dick. But there might be a part for you in a superhero movie.

rod

Retired 23 years
And there’s nothing wrong with that. But it’s not cancelling you if people decide to avoid you or not do business with you. You can be a dick. You can’t force people to associate with a dick. But there might be a part for you in a superhero movie.
I've got all the friends I need. I'm all for others avoiding me :-)

newfie

I’m waiting for an explanation. I’ve been quite clear for months that i don’t believe the BS. The closest I’ve seen is someone saying that cancel culture is not the same as boycotting but no explanation beyond that.
I have no idea what explanation you need as part of your latest deflection

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
See? If we understand the rules, cancel culture is a big fat nothing.
You talking to me?

1616112375607.png

Mutineer

See? If we understand the rules, cancel culture is a big fat nothing.
The rules are that the rules are always changing, are retroactive, there is no trial, and there is no redemption.

Justifiable punishments include murder, assault, property damage, harassment, and loss of income. This also includes the perpetrator's family and friends.

The only people I can think of who got a pass (for of all things, blackface) is Trudeau and Kimmel. I was looking forward to those two being drawn and quartered. Alas, my popcorn got cold. I remain confused and severely disappointed.

You "understand the rules." But do you feel safe?
Those are two VERY different things.

newfie

Time to be honest. Let’s say the left leaning media wouldn’t say a thing. If she was white, would the right leaning media say something? This idea that American media is so overwhelmingly left leaning is odd. What about Newsmax, Fox, OAN, NY POST and others.

Alexi is a hottie though.
yes there are a few right wing sources . Yes they do report on cancel culture and the freedom of speech issues something you libs used to hold near and dear.
I'm watching Fox report on it right now. the story they are reporting is very sympathetic to Alexi and very critical of the cancel culture insanity that fired her.