Christianity

FromOffTheStreets

We aren't told of the disciples baptism but we are told of the tongues of fire that rested on their heads as they received the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:3. Does that mean that we all are supposed to receive the Holy Spirit that way? No other examples are given of such, making the Apostles unique. But every example of conversion of Christians involved a symbolic immersion in water. Symbolic of Christ's burial and resurrection. Nowhere is there an example of someone just saying he wanted to be saved and he was then saved. The Apostle Paul was baptized. So was the Ethiopian eunuch. So was Cornelius. I'm going to go with their examples of conversion rather than any other way.
I'm supposed to believe (at least from flush & it seems like your in his group) that water baptism is when you join with Christ & actually become saved. Your sins are remitted at that point & you are not saved until this occurs.

The disciples never did this so we have to infer that they weren't actually saved. If we take flushes viewpoint.

Many others spoke in tounges and received the baptism of the holy spirit. Paul even wrote a couple chapters about it to the Corinthian church.

I agree with you that baptism is symbolic and it always occurs with those who believe. I don't believe that it is a saving act is all I'm saying.

vantexan

I'm supposed to believe (at least from flush & it seems like your in his group) that water baptism is when you join with Christ & actually become saved. Your sins are remitted at that point & you are not saved until this occurs.

The disciples never did this so we have to infer that they weren't actually saved. If we take flushes viewpoint.

Many others spoke in tounges and received the baptism of the holy spirit. Paul even wrote a couple chapters about it to the Corinthian church.

I agree with you that baptism is symbolic and it always occurs with those who believe. I don't believe that it is a saving act is all I'm saying.
You keep saying the disciples never did this but other than we aren't told there's no way to know. Speaking in tongues meant speaking to others in their own language. To speak in an unknown tongue meant by Paul that some weren't using their gift properly. It didn't do any good to speak in a language the people didn't understand. If baptism is only a symbolic act then why did some say that it saved them? There's not one example of becoming a Christian by just saying they want to become one.

vantexan

No it isn’t sin is an offense against a divine law.

Punishment? Not really. I just know to avoid those people and have as little to do with them as possible. Morality beyond the law is no proof god exists, that is just an extension of humans being social creatures. To certain extent other animals have laws, territory disputes and mate guarding come to mind.

No it don’t.
So you're saying if a man is a known murderer we don't need to punish him, just avoid him? Sin is murder, theft, sexual immorality, etc. It's just the word that collectively designates all things that we shouldn't be doing.

El Correcto

god is dead
So you're saying if a man is a known murderer we don't need to punish him, just avoid him?
I was addressing your claims about morality outside of the law.
Sin is murder, theft, sexual immorality, etc.
Yes those things are considered by you to also be divine laws that offend god if you commit them. I am familiar with your nonsense.
It's just the word that collectively designates all things that we shouldn't be doing.
It is a word that places religious context to things you shouldn’t do because of divine laws. That is the way you use the word, that is what Christians mean when they talk about sin.

Now take your L and move on bud.

El Correcto

god is dead
Because you want people indoctrinated into your beliefs and morals.
I wouldn’t call education about the collective knowledge humanity reached by the scientific method as indoctrination. Definitely not on the same level as a literal creationist myth being taught as fact.

I support your right to keep trying to spread your religious beliefs though. Good luck.
Sure that is fine. But it reaches a point of harassment which isn’t okay. Just keep that in mind while preaching the good word.
Sorry, your beliefs are inferior.
Facts are not inferior to old myths unless you’re looking for some laughs. The Bible is pretty ridiculous and people who take it literally are even more so.

vantexan

I was addressing your claims about morality outside of the law.

Yes those things are considered by you to also be divine laws that offend god if you commit them. I am familiar with your nonsense.

It is a word that places religious context to things you shouldn’t do because of divine laws. That is the way you use the word, that is what Christians mean when they talk about sin.

Now take your L and move on bud.
As I said, you're free to accept or reject it.

El Correcto

god is dead
As I said, you're free to accept or reject it.
Not what you said at all.
You came in here declaring we all sin, tried to play semantics around the word sin for whatever reason when I explained that no we don’t and you have no proof of that.

You now have this narcissistic attitude like you are letting me go because I don’t see the truth when you have failed to provide any or expand on your point other than clunky semantics and trying to play gotcha games with your rhetorical questions taking what I explained to you out of context to make it seem like I want to just leave murderers alone and avoid them, typical cultist behavior.

Now take your L and move on if you don’t have any evidence to back your claim that “we all sin”.

vantexan

Not what you said at all.
You came in here declaring we all sin, tried to play semantics around the word sin for whatever reason when I explained that no we don’t and you have no proof of that.

You now have this narcissistic attitude like you are letting me go because I don’t see the truth when you have failed to provide any or expand on your point other than clunky semantics and trying to play gotcha games with your rhetorical questions taking what I explained to you out of context to make it seem like I want to just leave murderers alone and avoid them, typical cultist behavior.

Now take your L and move on if you don’t have any evidence to back your claim that “we all sin”.
You really read a lot into things. It's not up to me to "let you go." You make the choice. And yes, we all sin. For the sake of your salvation you have to turn away from it. Up to you.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The devils aren't going, yet the believe in God. Seems belief isn't enough.
Only God truly knows. Knowing God as I know God, I wouldn’t put it past Him to make a way when there is no way.

God so loves the world!!!!

You know this. Your religious texts tell of this great love.

Does this love abide in your heart?