Christianity

vantexan

It would appear that you are having a difficult time understanding even my simple points.
Let me try again.
It was all the infighting over the issues I mentioned is why I left.
When you have to sit there all morning wasting time listening to a sermon from a bible thumper shaming the congregation over the fact that he wasn't getting paid what he thought he was worth....that is an invitation to leave.
I have never heard a minister talk about his salary from the pulpit in all my years. I highly doubt you have either.

bacha29

I have never heard a minister talk about his salary from the pulpit in all my years. I highly doubt you have either.
Oh, believe me I have. In many of the rural churches in my area the preachers either have a second job or had to take on more than one church due to declining attendance numbers.

vantexan

Oh, believe me I have. In many of the rural churches in my area the preachers either have a second job or had to take on more than one church due to declining attendance numbers.
My grandfather was a water well driller for almost 60 years. Was a minister for almost 50. Never once did he ask for more money from the pulpit. Same for numerous other ministers I have attended services with all over the country including many who also had another job. Often works that way in small congregations. Have never heard it from the pulpit in large congregations either. What I have heard is the malcontents who complain they think the minister is getting paid too much for what he does. When it comes to money there are always those who want their opinion heard on how it's being spent. Fine if it's not being spent properly, but unless it's spent exactly like they think it should then they're never satisfied. And universally they think that the minister should be satisfied with paupers wages because they give him a rent free house to live in. As a minister's son I have plenty of experience with this. And I know which group you're squarely in.

bacha29

My grandfather was a water well driller for almost 60 years. Was a minister for almost 50. Never once did he ask for more money from the pulpit. Same for numerous other ministers I have attended services with all over the country including many who also had another job. Often works that way in small congregations. Have never heard it from the pulpit in large congregations either. What I have heard is the malcontents who complain they think the minister is getting paid too much for what he does. When it comes to money there are always those who want their opinion heard on how it's being spent. Fine if it's not being spent properly, but unless it's spent exactly like they think it should then they're never satisfied. And universally they think that the minister should be satisfied with paupers wages because they give him a rent free house to live in. As a minister's son I have plenty of experience with this. And I know which group you're squarely in.
So you know which group I'm squarely in huh? "Judge not....lest ye be judged".

bacha29

what kind of amazing things?
"I knew Jesus before he was a superstar". For those who remember that song by Glen Campbell. One of the biggest womanizing drug hounds who ever lived writes and records a Christian song.....and low and behold as usual dumb people whip out their wallets and buy this song without ever questioning whether or not he was living what he was singing.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
"I knew Jesus before he was a superstar". For those who remember that song by Glen Campbell. One of the biggest womanizing drug hounds who ever lived writes and records a Christian song.....and low and behold as usual dumb people whip out their wallets and buy this song without ever questioning whether or not he was living what he was singing.
Has your application for sainthood been considered yet?

vantexan

Explain to me the biblical Jesus’s take on rich people and a biblical take on taxes.
See how Christian you really are.
For it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter into heaven. I believe I got that right but may be off a word or two. Since you take everything literally you're probably thinking Jesus is saying it's impossible for a rich man to go to heaven. But then you probably don't know what the eye of the needle is. Definitely not a tiny opening on a small, thin metal object. Cities back then had walls surrounding them. At night the merchants were required to move their camels outside the gates. A door, known as the eye of the needle, was in the gates that a man could easily pass through but was very difficult for a camel. Not impossible, but difficult. Thus the reference.

When the Church was established in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost after Jesus' death the Book of Acts said they held all things in common. In his writings the Apostle Paul talked of taking up a collection for the poor saints in Jerusalem.

Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. He never said that the government should be able to take a disproportionate amount of your income and then buy votes with what they take away from you. A system that would have been totally foreign to them back then. We are a big, rich country with the means to assist those in need. But we're also told if a man won't work he shouldn't eat. If you're able bodied you need to earn your way even if that means working at Walmart, McDonald's, or some such. Creating a dependent class to maintain your power through their votes isn't helping them and isn't Christian. Helping those in need is.

Last edited:

vantexan

So? When you hear a song about having sex on a booty call do you investigate to see if they're actually having booty calls before buying their song? Can't a song be enjoyed on its merits rather than saying the singer must document his life for you? Talk about judgemental. Maybe Campbell had been struggling with his life choices and had recently started attending services somewhere. Who knows. But if it's related to Jesus in some way you must attack it. Which is why no one takes you seriously on your experiences in Church. You've consistently attacked Christianity.

bacha29

So? When you hear a song about having sex on a booty call do you investigate to see if they're actually having booty calls before buying their song? Can't a song be enjoyed on its merits rather than saying the singer must document his life for you? Talk about judgemental. Maybe Campbell had been struggling with his life choices and had recently started attending services somewhere. Who knows. But if it's related to Jesus in some way you must attack it. Which is why no one takes you seriously on your experiences in Church. You've consistently attacked Christianity.
After awhile I didn't take my experiences in the Church seriously either for the simple reason that I knew the kind of lives the people who ran these little country churches lived outside the churches. Do as I say, don't do as I do....plain and simple.

You see VT a person can take any passage of biblical scripture and use it to support any point of view and any style of living they want as long as it will reaffirm their self righteousness.