Comey Testimony

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since Comey could be a witness in the investigation against Trump for obstruction of justice, couldn't this been construed as witness intimidation
Charges have to be filed on original charge before witness intimidation could occur and the person would have to be declared a witness by the court.
At that time witness intimidation would come into play.
I don't know if those conditions were met.

oldngray

nowhere special
Charges have to be filed on original charge before witness intimidation could occur and the person would have to be declared a witness by the court.
At that time witness intimidation would come into play.
I don't know if those conditions were met.
It looks to me like they are completely independent cases and Comey's leaking has nothing to do with the other investigation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Trump doesn't order the independent counsel does he?

Not that he wouldn't try.
I'm not aware of an 'Independent Counsel' ...
Special Counsel reports to the DOJ and DOJ reports to President.

Though it may sate some congressional Democrats and other Trump critics, a DOJ-appointed special counsel lacks the degree of independence enjoyed by special prosecutors of the 1980s and 1990s, which served in statutory positions created by an act of Congress that freed them from DOJ authority.

Modern special counsels, by contrast, serve at the direction and pleasure of the attorney general or a designated deputy.

And yes, like you, I believe Trump would.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Virtually
monkey-kiss.gif

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not aware of an 'Independent Counsel' ...
Special Counsel reports to the DOJ and DOJ reports to President.

Though it may sate some congressional Democrats and other Trump critics, a DOJ-appointed special counsel lacks the degree of independence enjoyed by special prosecutors of the 1980s and 1990s, which served in statutory positions created by an act of Congress that freed them from DOJ authority.

Modern special counsels, by contrast, serve at the direction and pleasure of the attorney general or a designated deputy.

And yes, like you, I believe Trump would.
But the DOJ by design is supposed to operate separate from the administration.