Contract Negotiations

• Thread starter thisjobaintforeverybody
  • Start date

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Not going to stand by and risk losing my livelihood because some of you hate your job, YOU CHOSE IT!!!

If you are happy with the way things are, and happy with the negotiated contract, then vote yes. There is nothing wrong with people wanting better working conditions, and being willing to fight for them.

Let me ask you, are there any conditions for which you would be willing to strike? If we did strike, do you really think UPS could replace us all and we'd all lose our jobs? I take providing for my family seriously, but you want to be able to be there for them as well. You should want the part timers to be taken care of, if for no other reason than because it will make your job less stressful if we can attract and retain good part time employees.

There has to be a line in the sand, otherwise the company will just keep taking and taking. Some people are closer to that line than you are and that's fine. If the Union decides to strike, you can't control that, you might as well prepare yourself for the possibility. If the company decides to replace everyone (as if they could) and refuses to negotiate further, that's out of your control too. But you can chose to leave the union and go back to work. I'm sure the company would take you back, at half pay and no benefits (that only might be an exaggeration).

All we can do is take life as it comes, and make the best decisions we can based on our circumstances. Many of us choose to stand together, for better or worse, and we all need to be prepared to face the consequences of our decisions.

Last edited:

babboo25

Banned
If you are happy with the way things are, and happy with the negotiated contract, then vote yes. There is nothing wrong with people wanting better working conditions, and being willing to fight for them.

Let me ask you, are there any conditions for which you would be willing to strike? If we did strike, do you really think UPS could replace us all and we'd all lose our jobs? I take providing for my family seriously, but you want to be able to be there for them as well. You should want the part timers to be taken care of, if for no other reason than because it will make your job less stressful if we can attract and retain good part time employees.

There has to be a line in the sand, otherwise the company will just keep taking and taking. Some people are closer to that line than you are and that's fine. If the Union decides to strike, you can't control that, you might as well prepare yourself for the possibility. If the company decides to replace everyone (as if they could) and refuses to negotiate further, that's out of your control too. But you can chose to leave the union and go back to work. I'm sure the company would take you back, at half pay and no benefits (that only might be an exaggeration).

All we can do is take life as it comes, and make the best decisions we can based on our circumstances. Many of us choose to stand together, for better or worse, and we all need to be prepared to face the consequences of our decisions.
I agree 100% about taking care of the part timers to retain good employees but it is a part time job with great benefits, most areas also pay for college. I have been a proud teamster for almost 22 years, would never leave. Hard to answer your strike question, my main concern is telematics and harassment , union says it can’t be used but UPS uses it 100%.
A lot on here talk a big game but when it comes down to it they will vote yes on contract.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Everyone is replaceable.

Yes and at half the salary.

One by one, sure, everyone is replaceable. But it would be very difficult to replace everyone one by one at half pay. It's our nature to be dissatisfied with doing the same job as everyone else with less compensation (*cough* four-year progression *cough*). You could try to replace everyone at once and offer half pay to the replacements, but, the way things are at this point, I really don't see that being a possibility. That's where a union derives its strength, but at least a vast majority of us have to stand together.

Your job is only as good as it is because the Union has negotiated on your behalf. If you take away from the Union's strength by not being willing to strike, then either the rest of us have to stand up for you, or the company will continue to chip away at our pay and benefits. Or possibly break up the Union all together. Then UPS will likely become no better an employer than WalMart.

Hard to answer your strike question, my main concern is telematics and harassment , union says it can’t be used but UPS uses it 100%.
A lot on here talk a big game but when it comes down to it they will vote yes on contract.

The first proposed changes to the contract the Union has offered appear to be trying to better address the harassment issue. If the company is using telematics to harass you, then grieve it.

I'm sure if the new contract is good enough, then yes, most people will vote yes. Even if things only stay the same, or get slightly worse, enough will probably vote yes to pass it, though I don't think everyone here would. That's really what we should spend our time discussing: Where is the line? When should we vote no? When should we be willing to strike? If we're all on the same page, we will be stronger for it.

Last edited:

babboo25

Banned
One by one, sure, everyone is replaceable. But it would be very difficult to replace everyone one by one at half pay. It's our nature to be dissatisfied with doing the same job as everyone else with less compensation (*cough* four-year progression *cough*). You could try to replace everyone at once and offer half pay to the replacements, but, the way things are at this point, I really don't see that being a possibility. That's where a union derives its strength, but at least a vast majority of us have to stand together.

Your job is only as good as it is because the Union has negotiated on your behalf. If you take away from the Union's strength by not being willing to strike, then either the rest of us have to stand up for you, or the company will continue to chip away at our pay and benefits. Or possibly break up the Union all together. Then UPS will likely become no better an employer than WalMart.

The first proposed changes to the contract the Union has offered appear to be trying to better address the harassment issue. If the company is using telematics to harass you, then grieve it.

I'm sure if the new contract is good enough, then yes, most people will vote yes. Even if things only stay the same, or get slightly worse, enough will probably vote yes to pass it, though I don't think everyone here would. That's really what we should spend our time discussing: Where is the line? When should we vote no? When should we be willing to strike? If we're all on the same page, we will be stronger for it.
Huge grey area regarding telematics, let’s say you’re fired for serious accident, maybe an intersection, even though you did all you could to clear intersection UPS will pull up telematics to scrutinize your actions hours before and immediately before accident, speeds, braking etc. We all know telematics is not 100% accurate or reliable.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Huge grey area regarding telematics, let’s say you’re fired for serious accident, maybe an intersection, even though you did all you could to clear intersection UPS will pull up telematics to scrutinize your actions hours before and immediately before accident, speeds, braking etc. We all know telematics is not 100% accurate or reliable.

So you grieve the firing, and get your job back with back pay. The new proposals also include something along the lines of no discipline for drivers who aren't cited in accidents. Without a citation, or management witnessing the accident, they only have telematics, with which they can not discipline you. You'd still have to do a safety ride before getting to work alone again, though.

babboo25

Banned
So you grieve the firing, and get your job back with back pay. The new proposals also include something along the lines of no discipline for drivers who aren't cited in accidents. Without a citation, or management witnessing the accident, they only have telematics, with which they can not discipline you. You'd still have to do a safety ride before getting to work alone again, though.
Ok so you grieve backpay at local level hearing, labor manager says you’re reinstated on the condition of no back pay, next option is panel hearing days or weeks away. When you have a family decision is easy.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ok so you grieve backpay at local level hearing, labor manager says you’re reinstated on the condition of no back pay, next option is panel hearing days or weeks away. When you have a family decision is easy.

I highly recommend you start an emergency fund, then UPS won't be able to use your family against you.

542thruNthru

Well since we are paid so well you should have plenty of funds saved up if something like that were to happen. So don't worry about it.

I don't know why we are arguing about this. Everyone will get a vote and if a strike is approved. You'll have 2 choices. Stand with your brothers and sisters or cross.