Decline of the Middle Class

floridays

The Republicans under Reagan cut taxes and the economy boomed. The Republicans under Bush cut taxes and the economy boomed. The Republicans under Trump cut taxes and the economy boomed. Every time the Democrats insisted that the extra revenue brought in from the booms be spent faster than we made it. The Republicans caved because one they want their defense spending and two the Dems demonize them and they're afraid of losing elections. It's the same story over and over. Only the last guy doubled down and spent like crazy, with Republican well wishes. The only way this insanity ends is badly, but do we have to act like lemmings headed over the cliff? No matter what happens, people will still work, SS taxes will be taken out, and companies will match those funds.
@bbsam will also match the funds, but claim it was under duress. Before I joined wasn't he bragging about some yellow Mopar or some like car? I guess the company he was lauding has tightened the screws a little bit. Not so much a cheerleader currently.

vantexan

The economy boomed under Bush? How drunk does one need to be to believe that?
The economy absolutely boomed under Bush. Took a lot of greed with the biggest real estate bubble in history to ruin it. With help from Democrats pushing banks to make loans to unqualified people. Everyone had a role to play in that meltdown.

vantexan

@bbsam will also match the funds, but claim it was under duress. Before I joined wasn't he bragging about some yellow Mopar or some like car? I guess the company he was lauding has tightened the screws a little bit. Not so much a cheerleader currently.
Used to talk about making a boatload of cash, buying sports cars. And used to scoff at people like MFE saying just wait, your turn is coming. Bet he still does well, just had to dial down the expectations a bit.

It will be fine

The economy absolutely boomed under Bush. Took a lot of greed with the biggest real estate bubble in history to ruin it. With help from Democrats pushing banks to make loans to unqualified people. Everyone had a role to play in that meltdown.
Ok. So it boomed except for that whole monstrous crash at the end and that was democrats fault. Got it, sounds reasonable and not at all partisan.

vantexan

Ok. So it boomed except for that whole monstrous crash at the end and that was democrats fault. Got it, sounds reasonable and not at all partisan.
Did I not say everyone had a role to play? Shortly after it happened both the NY Times and USA Today ran articles detailing who was to blame and why. Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd, amongst other Democrats, figured prominently. But die-hard libs like you won't ever cop to it. It was Bush, Bush, Bush. Now it's Trump, Trump, Trump. Must kill you to see the Bushes and the Clintons get along so well.

Did I not say everyone had a role to play? Shortly after it happened both the NY Times and USA Today ran articles detailing who was to blame and why. Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd, amongst other Democrats, figured prominently. But die-hard libs like you won't ever cop to it. It was Bush, Bush, Bush. Now it's Trump, Trump, Trump. Must kill you to see the Bushes and the Clintons get along so well.
Frank Dodd bill really put the clamps on lending money out. It was a little too much at one time.

vantexan

Frank Dodd bill really put the clamps on lending money out. It was a little too much at one time.
Actually Frank and Dodd put pressure on banks to lend to the poor so that they could participate in the boom too. Millions of bad loans were made that were bundled into highly leveraged financial instruments that traded like futures. When all those loans started defaulting it nearly brought our entire banking system down. For people who think Washington has little effect on our lives they got an eye opener in 2008.

Actually Frank and Dodd put pressure on banks to lend to the poor so that they could participate in the boom too. Millions of bad loans were made that were bundled into highly leveraged financial instruments that traded like futures. When all those loans started defaulting it nearly brought our entire banking system down. For people who think Washington has little effect on our lives they got an eye opener in 2008.
They wanted them to make subprime loans and at the same time they wanted the banks to triple their reserves.

floridays

They wanted them to make subprime loans and at the same time they wanted the banks to triple their reserves.
Bank loans do not increase bank reserves, they increase liabilities. The loan shows up as an asset on the books until it is defaulted on. I stand to be corrected if there is an accountant that can set me straight.

Bank loans do not increase bank reserves, they increase liabilities. The loan shows up as an asset on the books until it is defaulted on. I stand to be corrected if there is an accountant that can set me straight.
Dodd Frank made the banks have more in reserves and pressuring them to make bad loans. Can't make money that way

I would love to shake Buffets hand for standing in Goldman Sachs neck when they was about to go under.

I love it.

Last edited:

floridays

Dodd Frank made the banks have more in reserves and pressuring them to make bad loans. Can't make money that way

I would love to shake Buffets hand for standing in Goldman Sachs necj when they was about to go under.

I love it.
I love beer myself green friend. You keeping everything in line in your playhouse?