Gear

Parts on Order
You missed my point and the context of it.

We have a job that has a one month peak. We signed up for that. Just like if you sign up for retail, you're going to work more hours in December. Real shocker, I know.

It just gets me when guys start complaining about 60 hours a week in December. You're welcome to try and get a job that is just 40 every work week of the year. For those being required to go up to 70, that's another story. We do have numerous PART TIME people in my center with around 75 hours worked this week.

You have a problem with my idea that drivers have had it good. Losing sight of the realities millions of people deal with. That's all I'm saying is that there's this belief that we work excessive hours and we really don't. You haven't met many people if you think everyone just does 40 hours or less. Yeah, we work hard in December but we are Santa Claus.
How can people make math so difficult?? They don't keep track of DOT hours, you do. Then you take your number and use it to verify their number.

I'm assuming 12.99 per day was management assuming you take a 1 hour meal which would drop the number to 11.98 (1 minute counts as .02 hundredths). That would allow you to work 5x12 hour days when you had a 60 hour week. If you are only taking 30 minutes of meal per day to get the 12.48 hours you would have been in violation on your 5th day unless you get 30 minutes of break per day and take it every day.

People, this is simple math! You are resetting every week so this could not be easier, start with 60 or 70 and subtract your hours on the job each day making sure to stay under 14 hours for the day, then add back in the meal and break you took when the day is over.

I will have 13 hours today with an hour meal and 10 minutes break. Since I started today at 70 hours I will have 70-13=57 hours remaining out of my 70 plus 1.17 credited back on for my meal and break time today. Tomorrow my time remaining for the week will be 58.17 hours.

Guys who've only worked at UPS will never understand what you're saying.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
How can people make math so difficult?? They don't keep track of DOT hours, you do. Then you take your number and use it to verify their number.

I'm assuming 12.99 per day was management assuming you take a 1 hour meal which would drop the number to 11.98 (1 minute counts as .02 hundredths). That would allow you to work 5x12 hour days when you had a 60 hour week. If you are only taking 30 minutes of meal per day to get the 12.48 hours you would have been in violation on your 5th day unless you get 30 minutes of break per day and take it every day.

People, this is simple math! You are resetting every week so this could not be easier, start with 60 or 70 and subtract your hours on the job each day making sure to stay under 14 hours for the day, then add back in the meal and break you took when the day is over.

I will have 13 hours today with an hour meal and 10 minutes break. Since I started today at 70 hours I will have 70-13=57 hours remaining out of my 70 plus 1.17 credited back on for my meal and break time today. Tomorrow my time remaining for the week will be 58.17 hours.

OH....I agree it is simple math.
Start time 945
.5 hr lunch
12.99 hrs worked
off the clock at 1114
Been doing this a long time. I know how to keep track of hours. Management has the issues.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
OH....I agree it is simple math.
Start time 945
.5 hr lunch
12.99 hrs worked
off the clock at 1114
Been doing this a long time. I know how to keep track of hours. Management has the issues.

Good, I wasn't trying to preach. It just seems like many on here are struggling with this.

moldsporh

I absolutely did not miss your point and context. What you said was brief and very easy to understand.

We have a job that has a one month peak. We signed up for that.

How many years have you been a driver? Anyone here more than 15 years, clearly knows that peak stops of 350 stops is far different than 200 stops. What we signed up for and what has been dealt in the last 8 years is quite different.

Just like if you sign up for retail, you're going to work more hours in December. Real shocker, I know.

Not a shocker at all....common sense will tell you that.

It just gets me when guys start complaining about 60 hours a week in December. You're welcome to try and get a job that is just 40 every work week of the year. For those being required to go up to 70, that's another story. We do have numerous PART TIME people in my center with around 75 hours worked this week.

You have a problem with my idea that drivers have had it good.

What problem do I have? You said "You've" had it good for too long." You still won't tell me what "good" is.

Being able to work? Being able to work long hours? Please tell me what "good" is and stop telling me what I'm interpreting.

Every year I work almost 60 hours every peak, been doing this for almost 25 years. I'm not complaining one bit.....NOT ONE!

Losing sight of the realities millions of people deal with. That's all I'm saying is that there's this belief that we work excessive hours and we really don't. You haven't met many people if you think everyone just does 40 hours or less.

I've met.....A LOT of people. Many that work long days.

I clearly understand that you are speaking to people that complain about a few extra hours per day when many, many, other people work those hours yearly.

That part was, and is, very clear...so no need to question what I interpret

My issue with your statement is, don't compare people with what others have to do. Just because someone needs to work 3 jobs to put food on the table, doesnt mean we have to stand fast and let the company force long days because the company cannot plan for the season. It's December Right? Happens every year right?

We really don't need 70 hour work weeks. The company wants to cram every last package down our throats. What other people do for 60 hrs is VERY, VERY, likely....NOT what we do for 60 hrs....BIG DIFFERENCE.

I've worked retail for peak, landscaped, roofing, many outdoor jobs before UPS...UPS beats your body down FAR more than those jobs.

What is "good" and why does it have to end because other people have to work long weeks?

Why won't you answer my question about what "good" is?

Every peak I've worked has been bumping 60 hours because there's always someone that needs help.

Yeah, we work hard in December but we are Santa Claus.

The past 8 years or so, we've been working more than hard every day because peak is year round. Come December UPS now goes bezerk with greater than "unreal expectations"

ManInBrown

With my daily commute to work and 5 hours of unpaid meal I worked 74 hours in 5 days. Think about that for a second. In 5 days, I worked 3 entire days. That’s ridiculous.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
With my daily commute to work and 5 hours of unpaid meal I worked 74 hours in 5 days. Think about that for a second. In 5 days, I worked 3 entire days. That’s ridiculous.

Did UPS transfer you to another location? If not, stop whining about your commute...you choose where you live, not your employer.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It does not help when management cannot even keep the DOT rules straight. We have management tell us we have 12.99 hours a certain day and that is punch to punch. Uh...I am sorry but that is not 12.99 hrs. That is 12.49 hrs.
Punch to Punch including your lunch only applies to a 14 hr day.
Now we will have the added confusion in the 70/8 of what the actual work day is when they cannot even keep the 60/7 straight.
What's confusing about 70/8?

Faceplanted

We have a job that has a one month peak. We signed up for that. Just like if you sign up for retail, you're going to work more hours in December. Real shocker, I know.

You have a problem with my idea that drivers have had it good. Losing sight of the realities millions of people deal with. That's all I'm saying is that there's this belief that we work excessive hours and we really don't. You haven't met many people if you think everyone just does 40 hours or less. Yeah, we work hard in December but we are Santa Claus.
What your not understanding is many hubs have been having huge 9.5 issues all year. This is not just a "1 month a year" issue.

Dhydratd

What's confusing about 70/8?
I don't know, maybe the fact that for as long as I can remember there have only been seven days in a week?! Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. What is this supposed 8th day called and why have I never heard of it before now?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know, maybe the fact that for as long as I can remember there have only been seven days in a week?! Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. What is this supposed 8th day called and why have I never heard of it before now?
Package car drivers reset every weekend. The 8 is completely irrelevant for a package car driver.

I swear. Some of you make management look like a bunch of Einsteins.

oldngray

nowhere special
Package car drivers reset every weekend. The 8 is completely irrelevant for a package car driver.

I swear. Some of you make management look like a bunch of Einsteins.
giphy.gif