dow 27000

newfie

Good news for the country haters, dow is down today. Hurry up and get your celebratory posts in before it goes the other way.

bacha29

Good news for the country haters, dow is down today. Hurry up and get your celebratory posts in before it goes the other way.
Watch 5's vs 10's. Squawk on the street says that if there's a rate inversion a recession is practically a sure bet.
Stock of UPS and FX now in bear market territory for the year. One of the reasons is a belief that Amazon Air will begin to take a hurtful amount of air box business away from UPS and FX.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Watch 5's vs 10's. Squawk on the street says that if there's a rate inversion a recession is practically a sure bet.
Stock of UPS and FX now in bear market territory for the year. One of the reasons is a belief that Amazon Air will begin to take a hurtful amount of air box business away from UPS and FX.
The inversion is caused at this time by the pressure of continuing interest rate raises by the Fed along with the uncertainty regarding trade/tariff talks and subsequent agreements between USA and China.
Look at the first derivative values of the yield curves ... it contradicts the inversion. The market concerns are not backed by the actual fundamentals.
The underlying assumption is that if the 3 year or 5 year yield rate is higher than the 10-yr Treasury bill yield, then a recession is imminent.
However, there is only a 20% chance prediction of a recession within the next year by analysts.
Hedge Funds are pushing the recession story to increase investments in their products.
Also, self-fulfilling predictions of a recession can cause artificial downward pressure on the market.
Looking at one indicator and ignoring causal drivers is a flawed approach.

The equity market is overpriced IMO so I see a settling of the S&P P/E ratios into a 16 to 18 range ... down from highs in the upper 20's and the current 22%.
Volatility will rule over the next 2 years ... I focus on my life and not my stocks.
My investment strategy remains the same regardless ... trying to time the market is a losing proposition.

Last edited:

bacha29

The inversion is caused at this time by the pressure of continuing interest rate raises by the Fed along with teh uncertainty regarding trade/tariff talks and subsequent agreements between USA and China.
Look at the first derivative values of the yield curves ... it contradicts the inversion. The market concerns are not backed by the actual fundamentals.
The underlying assumption is that if the 3 year or 5 year yield rate is higher than the 10-yr Treasury bill yield, then a recession is imminent.
However, there is only a 20% chance prediction of a recession within the next year by analysts.
Hedge Funds are pushing the recession story to increase investments in their products.
Also, self-fulfilling predictions of a recession can cause artificial downward pressure on the market.
Looking at one indicator and ignoring causal drivers is a flawed approach.

The equity market is overpriced IMO so I see a settling of the S&P P/E ratios into a 16 to 18 range ... down from highs in the upper 20's and the current 22%.
Volatility will rule over the next 2 years ... I focus on my life and not my stocks.
My investment strategy remains the same regardless ... trying to time the market is a losing proposition.
With the VIX having jumped nearly 25% in just one day you can't help but think that that 20% chance is a bit lean.
Perhaps we can agree on one thing. It's going to get damn slow next year. The much touted 4% GDP figure?. Half that number will be cause for celebration.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
With the VIX having jumped nearly 25% in just one day you can't help but think that that 20% chance is a bit lean.
Perhaps we can agree on one thing. It's going to get damn slow next year. The much touted 4% GDP figure?. Half that number will be cause for celebration.
an offical recession is 2 quarters of negative growth, that is the offical sign. Second the market is down because at a certain level the computers kick in. Most people make money by staying the course.

bacha29

an offical recession is 2 quarters of negative growth, that is the offical sign. Second the market is down because at a certain level the computers kick in. Most people make money by staying the course.
Yes, long term usually pays off but we are driving into head winds driven by factors that have not been known to be kind to the markets whether you're long term or quick hitting short term investors.

newfie

There you go Debbie downer !!!

newfie

Will you be celebrating or do you need a negative number before you starting high fiving the bad news?