Driver falls out of truck = Dies

bbsam

Staff member
This is the same app that the typical doofus Ground clown uses without any problem, barely any training, and with twice as many stops and packages as the typical Express courier (who thinks he's far superior to every Ground driver). The only major complaint we're getting on the Express side is the inability to print ASTRA labels as you PUP packages.

If you think FORGE is a big cluster, then it's on you.
We had an Express manager at our terminal awhile back. Seems that 2.0 is going to take longer than expected and the major hurdle is routing. Forge doesn’t seem to be up to the task and a good number of Ground contractors use Groundcloud for routing.

They claimed 2 years. It’s not going well. I’m convinced that technologically speaking they’re still gathering data from DRO to build Forge into a viable and efficient platform for routing. The problem is that a lot of contractors don’t allow the “dynamic” function of DRO to do it’s efficiency voodoo because early attempts were disastrous.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Lol. No. I'm not speaking just for myself or just my station. I'm also not talking about the simplicity of the app itself.
Everything has been a step back and slower process compared to what it was. The routes it generates don't even make service. Following the sequence? Lol don't do it. It's worse than e star. Yeah it's better if you straight line everything. Forge hasn't been designed yet to make service, no wonder its a ground app.
Kind of rude there buddy. It's not just the app I'm talking about but the entire process from start to finish including less knowledge managers and drivers are given before the freight even arrives.

Tell me what's better about forge or more efficient compared to Express besides being able to scan ground packages?
They don't even have it set up right to drop off packages at hold locations. That's the kind of major oversights I'm talking about that leaves a person wondering who's really in charge if anyone.
Buddy, I'm looking at the feedback that the people who use the app are giving us. We get it, nothing is ever good enough for you and it never will be.

59 Dano

Because this is what’s called a Groundhog Day job. Frontline employees mostly do the exact same thing every day, their own favored way. On road a courier is essentially his own boss. Trying to implement massive changes to employees that mostly answer to no one all day, is difficult.
Yet we managed to transition from the Super Tracker to the Powerpad and from the Powerpad to the LEO TC77 without anyone dying.

Why do you insist that this time, it's such a huge challenge?

59 Dano

We had an Express manager at our terminal awhile back. Seems that 2.0 is going to take longer than expected and the major hurdle is routing. Forge doesn’t seem to be up to the task and a good number of Ground contractors use Groundcloud for routing.

They claimed 2 years. It’s not going well. I’m convinced that technologically speaking they’re still gathering data from DRO to build Forge into a viable and efficient platform for routing. The problem is that a lot of contractors don’t allow the “dynamic” function of DRO to do it’s efficiency voodoo because early attempts were disastrous.
I haven't had the chance yet to poke around under the hood. Most of what we've been dealing with is user feedback and various other metrics.

There are two stations rolling it out simultaneously that I'm keeping tabs on because they are of similar size, volume, etc. One has an outstanding engineer who is diligent and thorough with everything and the other has one who is ok but he has no problem putting in a half hearted effort when it suits him. I want to see the difference between the two stations once it gets rolling.

Guitarman01

Buddy, I'm looking at the feedback that the people who use the app are giving us. We get it, nothing is ever good enough for you and it never will be.
So you are a current manager or senior manager at Express and things are fine is what you are saying?
I really wouldn't think any current manager would be on this forum, but I appreciate the feedback.

But again, nothing is better, or even on par with how Express operated before forge.
I didn't hear any rebuttal of that.

59 Dano

So you are a current manager or senior manager at Express and things are fine is what you are saying?
I'm in a management position but not in ops. If you accused me of being immersed in the field of quantitative analysis, I would not call you a liar.

But again, nothing is better, or even on par with how Express operated before forge.
I didn't hear any rebuttal of that.
People will believe what they want to believe.

There was a major expansion of FO into many rural zip codes several years ago. Frontline employees (and often their managers) raged at the decision because it there were going to be FO's that would be impossible to make in those zips without changing the deployment of couriers. Yep, that's true. They b*tched and moaned about it and still do. They say it's stupid to offer that service to those zips when the failure rate is what it is.

But the data say otherwise. To start, the markup on an FO is just crazy. It's as much as 2 times the retail P1 rate. A large number of those FO commit times are 1400 in areas where making a 1400 commit is often not a challenge. So there's a very nice chunk of easy premium revenue. Or as we like to call it, gravy. There are also 1100 FO commits in 1200 PO areas. Those are almost as good as gravy. So there are a lot of those so called stupid FO's that were very easy money.

To this day, frontliners and their managers think that those FO's are stupid but those packages we net a ton of money on them. You'll tell me that nothing is as good as it was. I can look at an amazing array of data and it will usually tell me the opposite.

Guitarman01

Just to be clear you work for Express not ground? To put it another way are you more involved with Express or the Ground side of the business?
FOs are big money makers. Wow I have never seen an FO with a 1400 commit time. We don't even have p1s with that late of a commit time on a Saturday, and we go to some pretty rural areas.
Speaking of that, that's where FedEx is losing money, the rural stops. Every delivery service should be charging more for those extreme rural stops with mile long driveways besides basic mail. Just because they are in the same zip code of the nearest town, it's not right. Watch that change as everyone orders online and takes advantage of that when the nearest Walgreens might be 15 miles away.

An FO at 2pm seriously?
I can't agree with that last statement, maybe we can call it growing pains but they also managed to screw up the entire hiring process, and transferring or even just applying for another route has become an absolute joke.
Managers now realize they are on their own and are basically running their own small business at this point.

bacha29

Just to be clear you work for Express not ground? To put it another way are you more involved with Express or the Ground side of the business?
FOs are big money makers. Wow I have never seen an FO with a 1400 commit time. We don't even have p1s with that late of a commit time on a Saturday, and we go to some pretty rural areas.
Speaking of that, that's where FedEx is losing money, the rural stops. Every delivery service should be charging more for those extreme rural stops with mile long driveways besides basic mail. Just because they are in the same zip code of the nearest town, it's not right. Watch that change as everyone orders online and takes advantage of that when the nearest Walgreens might be 15 miles away.

An FO at 2pm seriously?
I can't agree with that last statement, maybe we can call it growing pains but they also managed to screw up the entire hiring process, and transferring or even just applying for another route has become an absolute joke.
Managers now realize they are on their own and are basically running their own small business at this point.
Looks like the slow down that was predicted earlier this year has come to fruition. With 3 major package delivery companies UPS,FDX,USPS will there be enough boxes to go around for all three without service reductions and or reduced operating days in the near future?

BTW Anybody hear any more regarding the kid who fell out and died or reports of 3 FDX delivery vans running into one another?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Looks like the slow down that was predicted earlier this year has come to fruition. With 3 major package delivery companies UPS,FDX,USPS will there be enough boxes to go around for all three without service reductions and or reduced operating days in the near future?

BTW Anybody hear any more regarding the kid who fell out and died or reports of 3 FDX delivery vans running into one another?
He’s still dead.

zeev

FedEx is moving out of the package business back to delivering pallets.