E-Star* Update!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Everyone else got put up in a hotel with a nice per diem and rides to school. Me and another guy from our station had to get to class on our own dime and pay for our own meals.
I could see if courier class was within a reasonable drive from your residence but if this was way out of town, you and your buddy got screwed.

vantexan

I can understand wanting to have your lunch paid for, but to expect reimbursement for your breakfast and dinner and complaining about not being put in a hotel. Wow. Sign of things to come from you. Your additional mileage to the class should have been reimbursed but that is about all you are due. At least you don't appear to hold a grudge 30 yrs later.
Thank you for your input.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I really don't know, but I doubt it. It's probably more like "here's the keys, there's your vehicle, now have at it."

30 years ago courier school was two full weeks and 8 hours a day.
We had 80 hours of courier school, of which about 20 was everyone just sitting around talking. It was great.

whenIgetthere

Yeah, it was located in the same city as my station. Everyone else got put up in a hotel with a nice per diem and rides to school. Me and another guy from our station had to get to class on our own dime and pay for our own meals. Had to work our last day while everyone else went home. Sign of things to come.
Same here, was only 30 miles from home, but traffic was well over an hour. All the out of staters were in a hotel next door.

vantexan

Someone sure wasted 2 weeks of their time trying to teach you station procedures. You must have had the same instructor mass guy had. He didn't learn much either.
I was a courier about 4 months before going to school. There was very little I wasn't already familiar with and sailed through it.

Star B

White Lightening
I was given the choice when I did training. Either hotel + per diem, or drive myself daily and get mileage + travel time + lunch paid for.
I got hotel + per diem + mileage when I went thru training. It was a 2 hour drive to where the training was.

falcon back

You keep saying "station procedures" like it means something.
Fedex utilizes "stations" for their delivery locations. UPS uses "hubs". How the process is carried out at the station level is taught in Courier Class. I figured you might have some idea how it worked but I had my doubts. TTKU

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You keep saying "station procedures" like it means something.
Well you came from that Fantasyland station, Station One where you can spend 3 hours sorting 2 crates of documents. In other words, the real world has completely passed you by.

falcon back

Well you came from that Fantasyland station, Station One where you can spend 3 hours sorting 2 crates of documents. In other words, the real world has completely passed you by.
It's funny you mention Station One. Years ago I went there to help the Training Dept. do a video on offloading cans. They wanted to time how long it took to offload a can. They had gone down to the Sharp Manufacturing plant, which was down the street and gotten EMPTY boxes and had us offload those boxes to set the company goal for packages offloaded per minute. It was difficult to keep a straight face in the video knowing we were offloading empty boxes. That afternoon the instructors decided they were going to offload to compare their rate to ours. What they didn't know, we had gone into the vehicle maintenance shop located on site and got heavy car parts and put them in the boxes. When the instructors went to offload what they thought were empty boxes, they found 40 and 50lb boxes waiting on them. The look on their face was priceless.

MassWineGuy

In UPS lingo stations are centers. Hubs are still hubs.

You know? I think my FedEx courier training was in a center. I remember driving big, brown trucks.