E-Star* Update!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fedex utilizes "stations" for their delivery locations. UPS uses "hubs". How the process is carried out at the station level is taught in Courier Class. I figured you might have some idea how it worked but I had my doubts. TTKU
You keep saying "station procedures" like it means something, which is what you'd expect from the guy vying to be the smartest kid in summer school.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's funny you mention Station One. Years ago I went there to help the Training Dept. do a video on offloading cans. They wanted to time how long it took to offload a can. They had gone down to the Sharp Manufacturing plant, which was down the street and gotten EMPTY boxes and had us offload those boxes to set the company goal for packages offloaded per minute. It was difficult to keep a straight face in the video knowing we were offloading empty boxes. That afternoon the instructors decided they were going to offload to compare their rate to ours. What they didn't know, we had gone into the vehicle maintenance shop located on site and got heavy car parts and put them in the boxes. When the instructors went to offload what they thought were empty boxes, they found 40 and 50lb boxes waiting on them. The look on their face was priceless.
BOY I BET YOU SHOWED THEM

McFeely

Huge Member
5 zips can cover a ton of miles. I drive thru about 20-40 zips codes during the 300-mile day. you figure it out
I understand why you would have a difficult day, I was trying to understand why MWG thinks it will be difficult. He’s a PT pup driver I believe.

FWIW I’ve had rural route that covered 6 zip codes before and yes, they can test you.

Nolimitz

I understand why you would have a difficult day, I was trying to understand why MWG thinks it will be difficult. He’s a PT pup driver I believe.

FWIW I’ve had rural route that covered 6 zip codes before and yes, they can test you.
because FedEx training docs are about worthless maybe?

fatboy33

Maybe when I have it actually running on my Leo it will seem obvious. It just got introduced in Saturday operations.
Best advice to you is to just follow it as it is. Don't try to make sense of it whatsoever. Why...? is what you'll be saying most of the day. even more so if you have regular pickups to go along with your deliveries. You'll be saying hello to 2,3 or even 4 couriers from your loop as you pass them on the road in a given day. Just turn off your brain, slack your jaw and driver lol.

shartpost

Verdict here is that the program in its current form, and presumably future iterations, is total garbage. Breaks aren't scheduled, pickups get pinballed across other routes and aren't sequenced correctly, packages that get RTH elsewhere do not update for 30 minutes. A courier's critical thinking skills are essentially reduced to a crutching onto a deeply flawed and horrendous programming project. I can go on. Business receiving cutoff times and major holiday hours are also not factored into the sequencing. In the real testing I've done with it, this EStar or pee stain or whatever will dictate you go to Walmart at 1400, you do a closed scan and deliver to Suite 100 at Building 1, drive to building 2 on the other side of the plaza to deliver Suite 420, then drive back to building 1 to deliver to Suite 101 and 103 which is in walking distance of Suite 100.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Verdict here is that the program in its current form, and presumably future iterations, is total garbage. Breaks aren't scheduled, pickups get pinballed across other routes and aren't sequenced correctly, packages that get RTH elsewhere do not update for 30 minutes. A courier's critical thinking skills are essentially reduced to a crutching onto a deeply flawed and horrendous programming project. I can go on. Business receiving cutoff times and major holiday hours are also not factored into the sequencing. In the real testing I've done with it, this EStar or pee stain or whatever will dictate you go to Walmart at 1400, you do a closed scan and deliver to Suite 100 at Building 1, drive to building 2 on the other side of the plaza to deliver Suite 420, then drive back to building 1 to deliver to Suite 101 and 103 which is in walking distance of Suite 100.
Sounds remarkably similar to directions I get from my wife!

Guitarman01

so has estar went live mon-fri anywhere yet?
It would be interesting if they could plug estar into existing sra routes that people know and see how man vs machine does.
I bet a person with knowledge of their route would beat the computer every time.
This reminds me of what UPS got years ago, Orion. Their focus was to save on gas. I havent heard any mention of that from Fedex, only so the customer has an idea when their pkg is arriving.
Fedex should just kill p1 res, it doesnt seem to bother amazon. They would save so much money becoming more efficient it would eclipse any profit on p1 res. Hell most of the time the customer isnt even home lol.

Last edited: