Express going "independent" ...and to current events

bbsam

Staff member
It's hard to argue with such a large sample size...

I've heard those complaints as well. Most of them amount to "They expect me to use the methods that they trained me to use to achieve the service and productivity goals for the route."
Nah. It's more about the "freaking different time code for everything!"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Jim Bob down at the local feed store told me Canada and the U.S. were amalgamating. It must be true! He owns a feed store.

The manager at Big Lots sees no difference between his employees and the ones a few miles away at the Apple store.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He wants out because he is 60 , tired , aching , and burned out . The job he is doing is why they didn't approve the sell . They don't want him to quit .He doesn't peddle . There was no benefit to him by telling me the story . If it was a lie , it didn't originate with him.

Of course not. FedEx is letting this big news out to guys like him when they won't tell you what color the paper cups will be in the break room without a credible threat of waterboarding.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Of course not. FedEx is letting this big news out to guys like him when they won't tell you what color the paper cups will be in the break room without a credible threat of waterboarding.
I look forward to seeing him again . The exchange is gonna be interesting .

bacha29

That's the other side of it. Even with the bennies they aren't making any more than they were with me. All just a shell game.
The entire issue is the matter of benefits. No matter the outcome healthcare costs will continue to rise and the insurance premiums right along with it . The same condition exists with the matter of a pension plan and the inevitable rise in the cost of living. In addition , if you want to know why X will never send any significant amount of it's freight over to Ground simply take a look at the number of multi route contracts business brokers have in it's listings. If you were to do so it would become quite clear to you that Ground is a delivery platform that is simply too shaky and unstable to be entrusted with any portion of X's core business. When X bought out RPS I heard Fat Freddy describe it as "parcel post" operation. despite the fact that it's a big money maker it will always remain just that.....a parcel post carrier.

bbsam

Staff member
The entire issue is the matter of benefits. No matter the outcome healthcare costs will continue to rise and the insurance premiums right along with it . The same condition exists with the matter of a pension plan and the inevitable rise in the cost of living. In addition , if you want to know why X will never send any significant amount of it's freight over to Ground simply take a look at the number of multi route contracts business brokers have in it's listings. If you were to do so it would become quite clear to you that Ground is a delivery platform that is simply too shaky and unstable to be entrusted with any portion of X's core business. When X bought out RPS I heard Fat Freddy describe it as "parcel post" operation. despite the fact that it's a big money maker it will always remain just that.....a parcel post carrier.
What percentage of Ground operations do you think are up for sale at any given time?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Won't happen until Hell freezes over. Making Ground drivers employees of FedEx would ruin the margins, combined opcos or not. On-road operations cost Ground practically nothing because the vehicle and personnel expenses and liabilities are borne by third parties.
I would guess thats why X would like to see all its employees like Ground and why this is a constant issue . My Express driver brings it up every time he stops . It seems it is always on his mind that it is going to happen .
Thats always been my question . How does Fred do it ?
Not everybody can get people to work so hard for so little , especially for any length of time.

bacha29

What percentage of Ground operations do you think are up for sale at any given time?
The site I keep tabs on currently has more than 175 contracts/routes on it's listings and more coming on every day. When one goes on the market you don't know if it can be sold, will be sold, how much it will be sold for who will buy it, will the new buyer get X approval or will the existing owner get so totally fed up that he suspends operations and simply walk away ? With this this type of uncertainty growing every day you simply do not take the very service and market that made you company what it is and dump it down onto the poor setup Ground is still today. One that today is trying to do what RPS never designed it to do in the first place and that is to try to serve multiple markets.