Express going "independent" ...and to current events

bacha29

I would guess thats why X would like to see all its employees like Ground and why this is a constant issue . My Express driver brings it up every time he stops . It seems it is always on his mind that it is going to happen .
Thats always been my question . How does Fred do it ?
Not everybody can get people to work so hard for so little , especially for any length of time.
That's right. Contractors know that all they have to offer someone is transitional employment. The job between jobs. Something to tide you over until a real job comes along. That is why today contractors have 5 guys on every truck. One coming, one driving, one leaving, one in jail for getting drunk and beating up his old lady and one starting his third month waiting for his FXG approval to go on the truck.

bbsam

Staff member
The site I keep tabs on currently has more than 175 contracts/routes on it's listings and more coming on every day. When one goes on the market you don't know if it can be sold, will be sold, how much it will be sold for who will buy it, will the new buyer get X approval or will the existing owner get so totally fed up that he suspends operations and simply walk away ? With this this type of uncertainty growing every day you simply do not take the very service and market that made you company what it is and dump it down onto the poor setup Ground is still today. One that today is trying to do what RPS never designed it to do in the first place and that is to try to serve multiple markets.
175 contracts/routes sounds a little misleading. I would want to know how many route sales are due to contractors getting out because of ISP transition and/or total numbers or contracts and routes. Is 175 out of 1000 a lot? Yep. Out of 3500? 5000? I'm not really sure what the numbers are.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
That's right. Contractors know that all they have to offer someone is transitional employment. The job between jobs. Something to tide you over until a real job comes along. That is why today contractors have 5 guys on every truck. One coming, one driving, one leaving, one in jail for getting drunk and beating up his old lady and one starting his third month waiting for his FXG approval to go on the truck.
The picture grows clearer . Thanks .

Hey fellas. Could anyone tell me what I should expect the starting pay to be for a FT Courier in Arkansas? I have an interview Monday and I just want to be a little prepared I guess. The job title itself is actually ''FULL TIME COURIER/DOT''

I lurked on the forums last night and actually found the new 2018 ops pay scale (terminology?) but I have no idea how to decipher the 3 different colors and what the pay codes mean, ie: 71, 8k and 9m. And more importantly, what states comprise each market.

Thank you for your time.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Hey fellas. Could anyone tell me what I should expect the starting pay to be for a FT Courier in Arkansas? I have an interview Monday and I just want to be a little prepared I guess. The job title itself is actually ''FULL TIME COURIER/DOT''

I lurked on the forums last night and actually found the new 2018 ops pay scale (terminology?) but I have no idea how to decipher the 3 different colors and what the pay codes mean, ie: 71, 8k and 9m. And more importantly, what states comprise each market.

Thank you for your time.
Oh no.. more color stuff.. I'm out !

The job title is actually "Courier/Tractor-Trailer Driver"

I wonder if this means it's a CDL req. job?

All it says is...

"High School Diploma/G.E.D. Must Be Licensed For Type Of Vehicle Assigned. Ability To Lift 75 Lbs. Ability To Maneuver Packages Of Any Weight Above 75 Lbs With Appropriate Equipment And/Or Assistance From Another Person."

It will be fine

Thank you for your time.
You didn't ask what they were paying before applying?

bacha29

175 contracts/routes sounds a little misleading. I would want to know how many route sales are due to contractors getting out because of ISP transition and/or total numbers or contracts and routes. Is 175 out of 1000 a lot? Yep. Out of 3500? 5000? I'm not really sure what the numbers are.
Keep this in mind. The RPS model Sullivan created was designed in the way that allowed Roadway to divest itself of as much risk liability and variables cost as possible while at the same time making it quite clear that the model was not designed to create equity for contractors but rather to acquire trucking and labor at the lowest possible cost.
You've been around long enough I'm sure to plainly see that as a contractor that you are simply a small part of a very large but unstable feeder network of cheap labor and cheap trucking. Ground is like an incinerator that burns through huge quantities of the two fuels you provide. As a result sending X freight that is much more time and precision sensitive over to you will require you to provide more fuel that is much more specification sensitive and therefore makes you far more vulnerable to contract non renewal and will not likely make you any wealthier. Nope. Taking on Express freight is a headache you don't need.

It was through indeed.com and surprisingly enough (not really nowadays...) it doesn't say.

Company: FedEx Express
Job Title: R0002:FULL TIME COURIER/DOT TUES-FRI 9:00 AM-7:00 PM AND SAT 3:00 AM-3:00 PM
Job Requisition Number: xxxxx
Category: Courier/Tractor-Trailer Driver
Job Family: FXE-US: Driver
Time Type: Full Time
Compensation: $0

bacha29

It was through indeed.com and surprisingly enough (not really nowadays...) it doesn't say.

Job Title: R0002:FULL TIME COURIER/DOT TUES-FRI 9:00 AM-7:00 PM AND SAT 3:00 AM-3:00 PM
Go to your nearest fast food or convenience store and ask what they're paying. This job will pay in that neighborhood.

lol yeah that's what I'm surmising from reading these forums.

I am genuinely just more curious now, more than anything. Kind of weird that it's so hard to find out the answers...almost as if they don't want you to know...but really though, if this is a CDL required job, I'm not qualified and don't want to even waste the 45min, etc.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Call me Captain Obvious, but right there on line 7 is the compensation offer.
Sounds like a volunteer position. Great way to get your foot in the door!