Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slowdriver

The most consistent rumors I have heard, is one of 2 options:

1. 2-3 step increases plus a bump in starting and top pay (to help hire and retain)

2. Changing the whole pay structure again, from a 10 step to a 5 step, and giving the people that worked for the past year 2 step raise on top of raising the top and bottom pay.

The number 2 option I have actually heard confirmation, that it has been discussed and is currently being seriously considered, on from really high up in the company (we are talking about high ups in Memphis).

Once again, this is all rumors at this point, however I can almost guarantee that by now they already know exactly what they will be doing. They have to do something extreme, otherwise a lot of couriers and other hourly employees will be looking for employment elsewhere, as it is really easy to find a well paying job at the moment.
Just to add to the rumor mill, I heard the same 5 step thing a couple days prior to anything being posted on here, so hopefully its true wont hold my breath though.

Guitarman01

I was hired on as a midday and Im pretty sure I was told over the phone when I asked about pay that this 10 step program equated to years. So for example in 5 years I would be making a pretty good competitive wage and in 10 years I would be maxed out. I somewhat based taking this job on that thought.
So that doesnt seem to be the case from what ive read here.
I also talked to a guy who had been there a couple years and he said the past 2 years they have only seen a very average 2% wage increase, he too was thinking or there was a rumor that maybe they would be making up for that soon.
Also if I got hired in april would I see any sort of raise in October?

McFeely

Huge Member
it has not been a ten year program. You get a step raise when they feel like it. I'm at step 5 after 11 years.

I’m on step 5 after 14 years. On a 28 year pace🙄

I feel somewhat fortunate that I'm not as bad off as a lot of those who started before me. I'm on Step 4 and just hit 8 years.

We had a guy hired in the summer of 2017 on Step 1. Moved to Step 2 in Oct 2017. In Apr 2018 the company did our step increases 6 months early and this guy got moved to Step 3. A friggin' 1-year employee on the 3rd step, and then we have others like you two getting hosed previously (and continually!) for years. That's just one more example of how friend'd up their pay is at Express.

Aquaman

I feel somewhat fortunate that I'm not as bad off as a lot of those who started before me. I'm on Step 4 and just hit 8 years.

We had a guy hired in the summer of 2017 on Step 1. Moved to Step 2 in Oct 2017. In Apr 2018 the company did our step increases 6 months early and this guy got moved to Step 3. A friggin' 1-year employee on the 3rd step, and then we have others like you two getting hosed previously (and continually!) for years. That's just one more example of how friend'd up their pay is at Express.
Timing is everything at this company. Ask the lucky people who started in the 80’s and early 90’s lol.

Guitarman01

I dont know how they can call anything a step progression or 10 step type of program for pay increase that doesnt happen on an annual or yearly basis. I suppose thats one of the perks of being non-union, this would have been written in stone at UPS or USPS.
If they were honest they would more so say something along the lines of this job tops out at atm at 28.19 for your position with average wage increases of 2 to 5 percent, which btw is much closer to a COLA but is inline with what most companies budget for.

Nolimitz

I dont know how they can call anything a step progression or 10 step type of program for pay increase that doesnt happen on an annual or yearly basis. I suppose thats one of the perks of being non-union, this would have been written in stone at UPS or USPS.
If they were honest they would more so say something along the lines of this job tops out at atm at 28.19 for your position with average wage increases of 2 to 5 percent, which btw is much closer to a COLA but is inline with what most companies budget for.
They always use the catch phrase "Based on company performance and market outlook" or some such nonsense.

fatboy33

I’m on step 5 after 14 years. On a 28 year pace🙄
20 years to top out before the implementation of the step program. So assume the step program will be worse. The numbers of people who are quitting has given the company something to think about in how they set pay raises this year. People wise, it makes sense to set starting pay at a number to get people off the couch. Next is finding a number that will keep the midrange folks from leaving. And finally the topped out folks number must be increased to a point that gives new and midrange something to shoot for and realistically attainable not a carrot on a stick.

Aquaman

They always use the catch phrase "Based on company performance and market outlook" or some such nonsense.
How convenient for them that the market outlook is always questionable. FedEx doesn’t want to gamble on raises. We shouldn’t get raises based on what the NEXT year could bring. We should get raises based on the year we just had... but that money is already spent so here we are.

Aquaman

20 years to top out before the implementation of the step program. So assume the step program will be worse. The numbers of people who are quitting has given the company something to think about in how they set pay raises this year. People wise, it makes sense to set starting pay at a number to get people off the couch. Next is finding a number that will keep the midrange folks from leaving. And finally the topped out folks number must be increased to a point that gives new and midrange something to shoot for and realistically attainable not a carrot on a stick.
I’ve been shooting for the top for 14 years. It’s time to stop marketing an unobtainable top pay. They lie to new hires about a 10 YEAR plan. Then day 1 they have twelve 10-20 year employees tell them they’re not topped out. You can’t maintain a lie when the new hires are surrounded by the truth.