Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I think the mid range should have gotten more and the topouts should have gotten something. Getting nothing is just insulting.
Especially since everyone has been risking their lives as well as the lives of their families, while Memphis people, dispatchers and who knows who else have been home. Safe.

Artee

Why? The company did and said absolutely nothing to give that impression.
I don't know. I am not in DGO so I don't know their feelings why they think that, but I do know they've been working their asses off the last 18 months. When you see FedEx ground paying handlers $25 an hour and FedEx freight starting their drivers out at $27 an hour I think you'd expect a pretty decent bump. Especially since they haven't given a step increase the last three years. With the company making money hand over fist I think they would like to see their missed step increases back. Can't fault them for that.

Artee

Not to mention the RT drivers in Oakland getting an extra $3 an hour for the next 5 months If not longer. People seeing money being passed around and they like to get a little bit of that for themselves.

Artee

Congrats. Will it be enough to compete and keep people or are they dreaming again?
Looks like the RT drivers are getting a $4 to $4.50 raise and converting to a five-step top-out plan. Like DGO the top-out RT drivers are getting nothing. Starting pay now at our place for an RT is going to be over $24 an hour up from $19 something

Stat41

The company promised a pay step progression program, then they did not implement it for more than 2 to 3 years. That is why people thought maybe at least they would catch them up to close to where they should be if the company had kept its word.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Some people reported an MD came to their station and said they were trying to give decent raise this fall. Was in the works. After 33 years my thought was , will believe it when I see it.
Directors don't know any more than ops managers when it comes to that stuff and it's unknown if the regional VPs even know more than a few days before the rest of us find out.

People hear what they want to hear and talk themselves into believing whatever it is that they want.

59 Dano

I don't know. I am not in DGO so I don't know their feelings why they think that, but I do know they've been working their asses off the last 18 months. When you see FedEx ground paying handlers $25 an hour and FedEx freight starting their drivers out at $27 an hour I think you'd expect a pretty decent bump. Especially since they haven't given a step increase the last three years. With the company making money hand over fist I think they would like to see their missed step increases back. Can't fault them for that.
I understand that, but wanting something and thinking that they're going to give it to you simply because you want it is stupid.

59 Dano

The company promised a pay step progression program, then they did not implement it for more than 2 to 3 years. That is why people thought maybe at least they would catch them up to close to where they should be if the company had kept its word.
The company said nothing and people managed to interpret that silence as a 3 step increase.

Empty Pockets

RAW

August 6, 2021

To: Management of Ramp Transport Drivers (Managers/Sr. Managers)
Cc: Officers and Directors of Ramp Transport Drivers

Managers: Please share this information with your RTDs as soon as possible.

In recent years, the competition for hiring professional truck drivers has increased steadily. In the past year, amid the meteoric rise in e-commerce, that competition has grown exponentially greater.

At FedEx Express, we absolutely, positively have the best truck drivers in the industry, as evidenced by our annual showing at the National Truck Driving Championships , the tenure of our drivers, and the safe driving statistics our team puts up every year. Keeping that strong skillset at FedEx Express is critical. To accomplish this goal, we are announcing a new step progression plan for our Ramp Transport Drivers that will help us achieve the following:

• Shorten the time to top of range with a new Five Step plan (rather than 10).
  • Increase our entry rate for RTDs to help us attract new drivers and make us more competitive in the market.
  • Enable increases during pay action cycles, as business results allow.

This change will better align us with industry standards and put us among the best in the market for new drivers, as well as rewarding our longer-tenured drivers for their dedication and loyalty to Team FedEx. The rates of pay in the RTD step progression plan are significantly higher than the current plan. All RTDs will be increasing to a higher rate of pay as part of this transition.

We will transition all RTDs from the current 10-step plan to the new five-step plan, as follows:

RAW
RAW

Effective October 3, 2021:
  • RTDs will transition from their existing step (and pay rate) under the current progression plan and will be placed on the corresponding step as outlined in the chart and pay schedule above.
  • The new rate of pay for RTDs will be aligned with the above pay schedule.

Each manager should take time to review the new pay schedule and prepare to communicate this exciting news with your RTDs as soon as possible.

Please share our appreciation with every single RTD. Their steadfast dedication helps us run an on-time network that translates into an outstanding experience for our customers. we greatly value every mile they spend on the road and look forward to their many more years of safe driving.

Regards,

Richard W. Smith
Regional President of The Americas and
Executive Vice President of Global Support
Shannon Brown
Senior Vice President
U.S. Operations East and Chief Diversity Officer
Tim Wertner
Senior Vice President
U.S. Operations West

Talking Points

• You know as much as anyone how competitive the market is for truck drivers.
  • Let me start by saying thank you for sticking with FedEx Express.
  • We absolutely, positively have the best truck drivers in the industry and we want to keep you here.
  • Our leadership has announced that RTDs will be moving to an enhanced step progression plan – a five-year plan versus the current 10-year plan.
  • This change will:
    • Shorten the time to top of range.
    • Increase our entry rate for RTDs which will help us attract new drivers and make us more competitive in the market.
    • Enable increases during pay action cycles, as business results allow.
  • The rates of pay in the RTD step progression plan are significantly higher than the current plan. All RTDs will be increasing to a higher rate of pay as part of this transition.
  • This change will better align us with industry standards and put us among the best in the market for new drivers.
  • And it rewards our current drivers for your dedication and loyalty to Team FedEx.
  • The transition to the new plan will occur in October – moving from your current step in the Ops step progression to a new step in the RTD step progression
  • Share the Step Transition Chart and Pay Schedule

RAW
RAW

• Again, I appreciate your dedication and loyalty to FedEx Express and hope you are as excited about this change as I am.
  • I’ll be happy to answer any questions.

Q&A

1. Will employees on the top step (new Step 5) be eligible for future pay increases?
Yes. When there is an increase to the top step as market conditions and business results permit.

1. How long is the time between each step in the new RTD step progression program?
The decision to advance to the next step is reviewed each year and as business results allow.

1. What happens in years that business results do not allow movement to the next step?
Any other pay actions in lieu of advancing a step would be determined as business results dictate and communicated as part of that year’s pay action cycle.

1. How will the transition from the Ops step progression plan to the RTD step progression plan occur?
All RTDs are currently aligned to a step (1-10) in the Ops step progression plan. On October 3, we will transition all RTDs to a new five-step program.

RAW

Example: An employee currently on Step 7 of the Ops step progression plan will transition in October to Step 4 of the RTD step progression plan. That same employee will advance to step 5 of the RTD step progression plan the next time a step advancement is announced during a future pay action cycle.

1. If I’m currently on Steps 6-10 of the Ops step progression plan, but will be transitioning to Step 4 or 5 in the new plan, will my rate of pay drop?
No. The rates of pay in the RTD step progression plan are significantly higher than the current plan. All RTDs will be increasing to a higher rate of pay as part of this transition.