Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks for the response. That's pretty good. USPS tops out at $32 after 14 years.

May I ask, do full-time Couriers work overtime sometimes? 5 to 10 hours a week of it would be nice.
What he left out, probably because you didn’t ask, is that the chances of a new hire topping out in 10 years is slim to none. We have people over 20 years who haven’t topped out. Don’t believe management if they tell you any different. They’re lying.

What he left out, probably because you didn’t ask, is that the chances of a new hire topping out in 10 years is slim to none. We have people over 20 years who haven’t topped out. Don’t believe management if they tell you any different. They’re lying.
Thanks for the response. So, the step increases aren't automatic each year?

From what gathered reading this topic, it appears that is the case. Basically, management may decide to not do a step increase this year or whenever. Is that correct?

With the USPS, the union contact "guarantees" an annual increase/ step. It's around .90 cents a year.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks for the response. So, the step increases aren't automatic each year?

From what gathered reading this topic, it appears that is the case. Basically, management may decide to not do a step increase this year or whenever. Is that correct?

With the USPS, the union contact "guarantees" an annual increase/ step. It's around .90 cents a year.
It is not automatic. It was maybe the first two years. Now everyone waits with baited breath for months for FedEx to announce whether there will be a raise that year or not. Management has nothing to do with it. It is decided by people at the top in Memphis.

Serf

Thanks for the response. That's pretty good. USPS tops out at $32 after 14 years.

May I ask, do full-time Couriers work overtime sometimes? 5 to 10 hours a week of it would be nice.
Overtime is usually always available. And inevitable. At express you’re not paid OT after 40 hrs. But after 8 hrs in the individual work day. So if you worked 10 hrs a day minus your break of 30 or 60 min you’d get 1 to 1.5 hrs OT daily….sometimes more.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

One thing I forgot to add is that you basically don’t get to say that you don’t want to work OT. It’s a must if the work is there.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh yes. A lot of times more than they want to.

FedEx’s biggest wet dream is to eliminate overtime altogether but it’ll never happen because the business is so poorly run.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll bounce the following off of you to see what you think.

I currently work for the USPS as a CCA. A CCA is basically an entry-level mailman. CCA's do the same tasks as a Regular Carrier, but are paid less and are not considered "career" employees by the USPS. Therefore, no Federal benefits or time accrued towards the pension. There is a USPS non-career health plan though.

Either way, most CCA's around the country work 6 days / 50 - 60 hours a week at $18.51 per hour. So, the overtime checks are nice, but there is high turnover because of the hours.

I am one of the very few CCA's who doesn't work much. Last week I worked 13 hours. This week I have worked 10 hours so far. It will be around 16 after Friday. My highest weekly total has been 33 hours. You could say I am disappointed.

To top it off, since I began about 6 weeks ago, at least 2 of the regular carriers have been on vacation. Come September when there is a full-staff, I do not anticipate working much at all, probably less than 10. However, I expect the USPS will schedule me more in November and December when they need me. Then come January, my hours will probably drop again. That is just my opinion.

I don't know about you, but 15 - 20 hours a week isn't going to cut it. So, I have 2 options -

1. Move to a different city and work as a CCA there. I have applied for CCA positions in Florida and have spoken with the bosses there who have said their CCA's work 50+ hours a week.

2. Stay where I am and work somewhere else. I also applied for a FedEx Express Courier position which pays $17.79, working 2:30pm - 8:30pm, M-friend. I have an interview next week. Of course, I may not be offered the job and then Option #1 it is.

A CCA job would probably result in making more money, plus have a pension. But then I would have to move, work 6 days a week, including delivering Amazon on Sundays, and spend 2 hours or so each day sorting the mail and loading the truck before going out on the route.

With FedEx, I would make less, but have Sundays off and not have to sort all of the mail. I assume I would load the truck or at least arrange the packages before departing for the route. From what I gathered, the FedEx trucks/vans have AC = good. But, they are probably stricter uniform wise = fine with me. (USPS is lenient in regards to the uniform, at least where I am now).

As far as I can tell from reading about FedEx, there are some management issues. USPS has the same, but is generally laid back where I am. That could be different in a different town.

So, for you who have worked for FedEx, what do you think? If you ever worked for USPS and then switched to FedEx, feel free to share.

Thanks for any information.

btrlov

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll bounce the following off of you to see what you think.

I currently work for the USPS as a CCA. A CCA is basically an entry-level mailman. CCA's do the same tasks as a Regular Carrier, but are paid less and are not considered "career" employees by the USPS. Therefore, no Federal benefits or time accrued towards the pension. There is a USPS non-career health plan though.

Either way, most CCA's around the country work 6 days / 50 - 60 hours a week at $18.51 per hour. So, the overtime checks are nice, but there is high turnover because of the hours.

I am one of the very few CCA's who doesn't work much. Last week I worked 13 hours. This week I have worked 10 hours so far. It will be around 16 after Friday. My highest weekly total has been 33 hours. You could say I am disappointed.

To top it off, since I began about 6 weeks ago, at least 2 of the regular carriers have been on vacation. Come September when there is a full-staff, I do not anticipate working much at all, probably less than 10. However, I expect the USPS will schedule me more in November and December when they need me. Then come January, my hours will probably drop again. That is just my opinion.

I don't know about you, but 15 - 20 hours a week isn't going to cut it. So, I have 2 options -

1. Move to a different city and work as a CCA there. I have applied for CCA positions in Florida and have spoken with the bosses there who have said their CCA's work 50+ hours a week.

2. Stay where I am and work somewhere else. I also applied for a FedEx Express Courier position which pays $17.79, working 2:30pm - 8:30pm, M-friend. I have an interview next week. Of course, I may not be offered the job and then Option #1 it is.

A CCA job would probably result in making more money, plus have a pension. But then I would have to move, work 6 days a week, including delivering Amazon on Sundays, and spend 2 hours or so each day sorting the mail and loading the truck before going out on the route.

With FedEx, I would make less, but have Sundays off and not have to sort all of the mail. I assume I would load the truck or at least arrange the packages before departing for the route. From what I gathered, the FedEx trucks/vans have AC = good. But, they are probably stricter uniform wise = fine with me. (USPS is lenient in regards to the uniform, at least where I am now).

As far as I can tell from reading about FedEx, there are some management issues. USPS has the same, but is generally laid back where I am. That could be different in a different town.

So, for you who have worked for FedEx, what do you think? If you ever worked for USPS and then switched to FedEx, feel free to share.

how long are typical CCA to regular conversions at your station?. Did you get off ur probation? Did you hit your 1 year reappointment break yet?

I wouldnt trust that schedule or those hrs at fedex, the managers are notorious for not be forthright. Thats a reponse/pickup route and the tail end hours may not be there unless u live in a large business area or large city.U may be looking at 6-7pm end time in reality Some box trucks have AC but most dont. .

If you make regular at USPS it might be worth it in terms on job security and TSP. The best spot in USPS is Collections at ur local PD&C. U can upgrade to 204b if u dont mind being a little immoral, thats 50k. Salaries at USPS are national unlike fedex. UPS is sketchy in terms getting past probation but once u make book its the best and most lucrative option out of all 3. UPS also has handling positions and u can upgrade to pt supervisor which is over 20 an hr.

Maui

At Express if you are hired FT you are guaranteed 35 hours of pay. So you will either work at least that much or be paid "mins" to get there.

If you are hired and start before October 3 you would get a raise. I'm not sure of the exact amount without looking, but it would be closer to $18.50 or something like that. OT depends a bit on where you are, but it is usually available if you want it almost everywhere.

If FT you would start with 5 sick days, 2 floating holidays, and 2 personal days as well as paid holidays. You earn vacation for the following year so that would be able to be scheduled beginning June 2021. It's 2 weeks (pro-rated) the first 5 years, then 3, 4 after 10 and 5 after 20.

If you were a regular mail carrier I wouldn't advise switching, but Express seems better than CCA. Pay is a little jacked at Express, but I am hopeful that there will be a move to reduce the steps to top out like the tractor drivers will beginning this October. It's now 5 steps and the top pay is competitive - $28-32 for regular drivers and $30-35 for swings or tractor drivers.

I recommend swing if you're OK with covering different routes. It's not for everyone, but you can run some of the best routes (and the worst) and you get paid the higher rate. Additionally, you are not on the draft list for mandates with the regular couriers.

floridays

It's both. You know, like how Southwest is a people transportation company AND an airline!

You speak as if they are mutually exclusive traits.
They are jackass, you referred to me as that first, I feel safe in returning the compliment.

Last I looked Southwest transported their carriage to airports, exclusively.

Example,

Memphis to Tampa, Memphis to Fort Myers, Phoenix to San Jose, their transportation, their airline business began and ended at an airport.

No ground operation to deliver their transported good to a personal residence or business where they may work. Beyond that, no one sends anything on an aircraft that they expect the airline to be the final delivery vehicle of what was sent.

I'm trying to help you figure out the difference, exactly what makes them different.

floridays

LOL, you jackass. I don't care what they do. It doesn't affect me. They can do whatever they want. It would give their managers an easier way to fire the ones they want to get rid of anyway.
It will affect you you pompous ass if the hub sat down, did not report for work.
Do you, in bossing people around, planning strategies, or working in GOC, (which I think you do none of) think you pay any bills or move any freight without the handlers, ramp agents, equipment operators and other essential employees.
You are nonessiential if the above do not show up for work.
If you or your whole work group does not show up, bills will be paid, period.

Fire away, from what has been offered here it seems Fedex has enough problems having people show up consistently that can fog a mirror.

You know they have the companies balls in their hands, they are just to ignorant to understand the position they hold.

floridays

OK, package transport engineer. Better?
I maybe wrong, I think she was being sarcastic.
Just call them what they are, drivers, package delivery humps , they are the face of the brand to the recipient, the customer.

Why spend, why lobby? Why spend millions to get crooked politicians to call a segment of a company what it isn't.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I maybe wrong, I think she was being sarcastic.
Just call them what they are, drivers, package delivery humps , they are the face of the brand to the recipient, the customer.

Why spend, why lobby? Why spend millions to get crooked politicians to call a segment of a company what it isn't.
And reputation and brand recognition are mutually exclusive and immaterial. That"s why they don't budget for the FedEx Open, FedEx Field, and Nascar anymore. Compensation for hourlies has depleted their budget. ROFL

floridays

And reputation and brand recognition are mutually exclusive and immaterial. That"s why they don't budget for the FedEx Open, FedEx Field, and Nascar anymore. Compensation for hourlies has depleted their budget. ROFL
I'm curious, exactly what is the brand now?
@59 Dano, help me out.
This is a legitimate question, you too Fred, exactly what is the brand, exactly what sets Fedex apart, beginning with Express.