FedEx RTD

It will be fine

Hmm. Take a pay cut for four years and end up at almost $40 an hour, oooorrr, stay at FedEx and if one is lucky maybe reach $30 in 20 years. Ummm, I’d go for the pay cut.
It may be better than FedEx but it’s not very competitive in the overall market. It’s still a pay cut for most tractor drivers with the hope of making more in a few years of all OTR driving.

vantexan

It may be better than FedEx but it’s not very competitive in the overall market. It’s still a pay cut for most tractor drivers with the hope of making more in a few years of all OTR driving.
I doubt many companies come close to the benefits pkg UPS offers. There's a huge amount of turnover in the trucking industry. A large part of that is telling drivers they'll get this and that but never do. FedEx isn't the only one who does that. As far as UPS being the best paying I've heard many times Wal-Mart is the best.

It will be fine

I doubt many companies come close to the benefits pkg UPS offers. There's a huge amount of turnover in the trucking industry. A large part of that is telling drivers they'll get this and that but never do. FedEx isn't the only one who does that. As far as UPS being the best paying I've heard many times Wal-Mart is the best.
20-30 year olds don’t care much about benefits. The odds they use health insurance are slim. I would guess the ones that care about retirement are savvy enough to prefer control over their money as opposed to trusting a pension that has had a rough recent history. Class A drivers are hard to come by and I don’t see $21/hr attracting many.

vantexan

20-30 year olds don’t care much about benefits. The odds they use health insurance are slim. I would guess the ones that care about retirement are savvy enough to prefer control over their money as opposed to trusting a pension that has had a rough recent history. Class A drivers are hard to come by and I don’t see $21/hr attracting many.
So 30+ year olds who do care about benefits don't try to get on at UPS? And as pointed out many areas start higher as well as top out in four years.

MAKAVELI

UPS doesn't have a problem attracting drivers off the street. For the most part those feeder jobs were almost exclusively hired from within by seniority. The demand is so high now the company and union have no choice but to hire from outside. Visalia is in the Central Valley where most of the truckers haul produce for independent contractors. Their pay and benefits are probably pretty low for the industry. UPS will have no problem finding drivers to fill those positions.

Aquaman

UPS doesn't have a problem attracting drivers off the street. For the most part those feeder jobs were almost exclusively hired from within by seniority. The demand is so high now the company and union have no choice but to hire from outside. Visalia is in the Central Valley where most of the truckers haul produce for independent contractors. Their pay and benefits are probably pretty low for the industry. UPS will have no problem finding drivers to fill those positions.
Meh, I mean ya they’re hiring 60 drivers... but they’re OTR sleeper team positions. Doesn’t really apply to the “day cab home every day” spots that people envision when they think about UPS & FedEx. You can make UPS money driving OTR almost anywhere. It’s the guys who drive brown day cabs and get to go home for dinner every day that have the dream jobs. Lets see how easy hiring is when they tell the driver that’s NOT the job they’ll be doing. UPS is hands down a better company to drive tractor trailer at. But the positive to FedEx Express is every single one of our routes is home every day. You’ll just get paid like a package handler lol.

MAKAVELI

Meh, I mean ya they’re hiring 60 drivers... but they’re OTR sleeper team positions. Doesn’t really apply to the “day cab home every day” spots that people envision when they think about UPS & FedEx. You can make UPS money driving OTR almost anywhere. It’s the guys who drive brown day cabs and get to go home for dinner every day that have the dream jobs. Lets see how easy hiring is when they tell the driver that’s NOT the job they’ll be doing. UPS is hands down a better company to drive tractor trailer at. But the positive to FedEx Express is every single one of our routes is home every day. You’ll just get paid like a package handler lol.
You gotta crawl before you walk bro. You can't just expect to jump in a $100k+ job with free health insurance and a fat pension and a cushy route from day 1. Fedex would be the one that would have a hard time finding drivers off the street.

Aquaman

You gotta crawl before you walk bro. You can't just expect to jump in a $100k+ job with free health insurance and a fat pension and a cushy route from day 1. Fedex would be the one that would have a hard time finding drivers off the street.
We can’t hire anyone. Morale at Express has never been lower. Pay has stagnated again, and this new 2 sort plan to split the freight is gonna drive a lot of people away. It’s a slow downhill path they’ve been on for a while. We’re run by people who see the operation on paper. I tell all new people to go to UPS. You’ll pay your dues for 20 years just like FedEx... but at least you’ll be paid well.

rod

Retired 23 years
I have heard (don't know if it is true) UPS has some "robot" feeders running I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson

Aquaman

But also the original post was about FedEx RTD’s having options... ya we know we could all make more money OTR. What options are there for going home every night? Not missing your daughters soccer game. Taking a walk with your wife. Swimming in the summer. Very very few options.

MAKAVELI

But also the original post was about FedEx RTD’s having options... ya we know we could all make more money OTR. What options are there for going home every night? Not missing your daughters soccer game. Taking a walk with your wife. Swimming in the summer. Very very few options.
You'll never know unless you do your research. I'd say each area is different as to the time it takes to get a route that you're home every day. You gotta do what's best for you and your family but at the end of day you're leaving a lot of $ on the table staying with FedEx if you're not already topped out.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You can make ups brown money by working sleepers elsewhere. You cant make ups sleeper money. Nobody is paying per mile what ups is. You would have to be independent and work in a specialized trucking field. That is a huge cost and risk. Not a walk on job like ups