FedEx to give employees bonuses, raises, 401k

Oldfart

You'll be very satisfied. Great for you. Others here, I'm sure have families to care for and their level of satisfaction I'll bet is higher than yours. And another thing. How is it you have the time to post every hour of the day, especially during work days? I've been looking at your time stamps and, whatever time zone, you appear to be on this board while on the clock. Interesting.
I assist with courier class, REDS training and Newhire DD class. Plenty of dead time when they are taking test and doing other task with the District Trainer and she doesn't need my assistance.
Lots of dead time when I drive a tractor waiting on doors and getting offloaded.

Glad you are so interested in my days. I am flattered.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You'll be very satisfied. Great for you. Others here, I'm sure have families to care for and their level of satisfaction I'll bet is higher than yours. And another thing. How is it you have the time to post every hour of the day, especially during work days? I've been looking at your time stamps and, whatever time zone, you appear to be on this board while on the clock. Interesting.

There are more than a few similarities between OldFart and a former poster.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Have you guys seen the handout about Fedex installing GPS/Telematics in our trucks? Now we’ll be stalked all day. Customers will even be able to know where we are.

bacha29

Have you guys seen the handout about Fedex installing GPS/Telematics in our trucks? Now we’ll be stalked all day. Customers will even be able to know where we are.
It's just another step toward autonomous delivery vehicles. OF's generation may very well be the last to spend it's entire working life span using human operated delivery vehicles. Remember a month ago McKinsey Global Institute issued a forecast that said that if the pace of automation technology and improved processes continues it could eliminate 40% of the nation's workforce by the year 2030.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's just another step toward autonomous delivery vehicles. OF's generation may very well be the last to spend it's entire working life span using human operated delivery vehicles. Remember a month ago McKinsey Global Institute issued a forecast that said that if the pace of automation technology and improved processes continues it could eliminate 40% of the nation's workforce by the year 2030.
Are those autonomous vehicles going to drive up the sidewalk to the front door to drop off those packages and ring the doorbell??

bacha29

Are those autonomous vehicles going to drive up the sidewalk to the front door to drop off those packages and ring the doorbell??
I never said it would be tomorrow but you've been in the flesh long enough to know that change is the only constant as evidenced by X's long standing commitment to eliminating menial human labor as much as possible which is entirely constant with the American economy as a whole.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Remember a month ago McKinsey Global Institute issued a forecast that said that if the pace of automation technology and improved processes continues it could eliminate 40% of the nation's workforce by the year 2030.

The postmaster general predicted that mail would be delivered by guided missiles before man made it to the moon. Thomas Edison predicted that there was no need for alternating current. FCC commissioner said that there was no chance that satellites could provide better TV, radio, or telephone service. Founder of 3Com said that the internet would flop by 1996 and that wireless networking would never take off.

And so on.
And so on.
And so on.

Oldfart

Jim Barksdale said Zapmail was gonna change the way people did business.

bacha29

The postmaster general predicted that mail would be delivered by guided missiles before man made it to the moon. Thomas Edison predicted that there was no need for alternating current. FCC commissioner said that there was no chance that satellites could provide better TV, radio, or telephone service. Founder of 3Com said that the internet would flop by 1996 and that wireless networking would never take off.

And so on.
And so on.
And so on.[/QUOTE Seriously, if the Wright Brothers hadn't figured a way for man to fly there would be no Fedex Express today. Furthermore, given the way companies today are finding themselves having to contend with the issues that go along with a workforce comprised of people and the growing costs associated with it invariably they are going to look for ways to require fewer of them. The primary driver behind the way Roadway Package System was set up was to give Roadway a means to divest itself of as much risk, liability and variable cost as it could possibly rid itself of.

MAKAVELI

And so on.
And so on.
And so on.
I really don't think it's that far-fetched. Technology is advancing much faster it would.

vantexan

Seems like there's always a "rich are bad" angle to your posts. The wealthy aren't fools. If they eliminate 40% of the workforce they eliminate a huge percentage of their customers. They'll also destabilize society, crime rates will soar, and they themselves will become targets. Or do you expect all the unemployed to just take it on the chin? Either improvements in efficiency will open other avenues of employment, or the powers that be will come up with something acceptable that people can live with. Your line of reasoning suggests something extraordinarily sinister is coming. Highly doubtful.

Waste Manager

And..back to topic..does this April raise apply to Fedex Ground?.. in USA and Canada?

Having worked for X, and now Ground(long boring story)...there seems to be different rules, and mindset for the two companies..

bacha29

And..back to topic..does this April raise apply to Fedex Ground?.. in USA and Canada?

Having worked for X, and now Ground(long boring story)...there seems to be different rules, and mindset for the two companies..
My God, you can be telling the truth...are you?. That's of course you work for a very generous contractor employer who happens to be in a very lucrative area of the country. But for most of the rest it's all straight time, no overtime and zero benefits.

bacha29

Seems like there's always a "rich are bad" angle to your posts. The wealthy aren't fools. If they eliminate 40% of the workforce they eliminate a huge percentage of their customers. They'll also destabilize society, crime rates will soar, and they themselves will become targets. Or do you expect all the unemployed to just take it on the chin? Either improvements in efficiency will open other avenues of employment, or the powers that be will come up with something acceptable that people can live with. Your line of reasoning suggests something extraordinarily sinister is coming. Highly doubtful.
Given your past comments describing how little you walked away with after all your years of service to X that alone should tell you about how concerned they are what you're concerned about. Inventing, developing, getting the patents the licensing agreements and bringing it to market before anyone else does is all that matters to the drivers of technology. It's a global economy with a global population that's not likely to stop growing in number.