FedEx to give employees bonuses, raises, 401k

Oldfart

I did one better... I used Fedex to pay for 100% if my CDL. Almost 5 months of training, classes, and waiting on a test date. I was a great a courier, to good actually. That’s what caused me to wanna leave. Anyway, I come up with about 20-30k in my cost over those 5 months. I’m loving it
5 months of training and classes to get a CDL? How long did it take to get a test date?

Class is 2 or 3 weeks and you should be ready for the test. Unless you were on the remedial schedule.

RTD pay around here is roughly 30 an hr. I scan over Indeed.com sometimes and the local ads when killing time. Lots of jobs paying high teens and mid 20 an hr. Not many local tractor jobs around here busting 30 and work Mon-fri and daytime hrs.

Last edited:

fatboy33

Good points. But it could also be seen as giving raises six months apart. Still, I don’t want to wait 18 months for the next raise.
Do you really thing they're going to hand out raising in April and then again in October? The poster who said the company will invest in automation is correct. Jobs will be lost.

abused.crr

5 months of training and classes to get a CDL? How long did it take to get a test date?

Class is 2 or 3 weeks and you should be ready for the test. Unless you were on the remedial schedule.

RTD pay around here is roughly 30 an hr. I scan over Indeed.com sometimes and the local ads when killing time. Lots of jobs paying high teens and mid 20 an hr. Not many local tractor jobs around here busting 30 and work Mon-fri and daytime hrs.
Yes sir 5 months. From the First day that I came over to RTD to my first testing date; which I passed first time.

No way I want to drive a semi. I wanted a job that requires a class A cdl but where you’re not always driving. That’s why I went to my states department of transportation. I didn’t quit because of RTD, I never had any plans to be an RTD. I quit being a courier, I just had to get the last laugh. Thanks Fedex

Oldfart

Do you really thing they're going to hand out raising in April and then again in October? The poster who said the company will invest in automation is correct. Jobs will be lost.
For those complaining about going from April '18 till October of '19 for a raise. Please feel free to tell payroll you decline your April raise. We would hate for you to feel slighted for going that long without a raise. In your opinion, getting a raise 6 months early is a BAD thing.

SmithBarney

They've been and would have invested in automation anyway, there are a few places that already are, cans are unloaded by hand, to a speed belt, that scans and sorts automatically to chutes behind each truck. Drivers show up and pull packages from chute and load truck, pretty simple.(and Fast as heck)

floridays

For those complaining about going from April '18 till October of '19 for a raise. Please feel free to tell payroll you decline your April raise. We would hate for you to feel slighted for going that long without a raise. In your opinion, getting a raise 6 months early is a BAD thing.
Is getting a raise six months late a bad thing as they did when raises were moved to October? They are giving nothing out of the ordinary because of the tax cut. Another raise in October and then future raises in October just makes us whole from the time they withheld the raise in March and moved it to October.

DeliveryException

I wonder though since those topped don't have a step to go to next will they get a cash bonus? Cost of living bump? Nothing? If they get cola bump, will the other steps get one or just use the numbers from last October. Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic to be getting the next step sooner, just wondering.

floridays

I wonder though since those topped don't have a step to go to next will they get a cash bonus? Cost of living bump? Nothing? If they get cola bump, will the other steps get one or just use the numbers from last October. Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic to be getting the next step sooner, just wondering.
How long you been at Express?

Oldfart

Is getting a raise six months late a bad thing as they did when raises were moved to October? They are giving nothing out of the ordinary because of the tax cut. Another raise in October and then future raises in October just makes us whole from the time they withheld the raise in March and moved it to October.
They moved raises back maybe 3, 4, 5 years ago. Can't remember. You can't live in the past forever. You sound like tex. Next you will complain about a manager that made you deliver packages out of your area back in 2004.

They just gave most 7% or more in raises. Now people are whining because they are getting their next raise 6 months early. Typical whiners.

floridays

They moved raises back maybe 3, 4, 5 years ago. Can't remember. You can't live in the past forever. You sound like tex. Next you will complain about a manager that made you deliver packages out of your area back in 2004.

They just gave most 7% or more in raises. Now people are whining because they are getting their next raise 6 months early. Typical whiners.
I did nothing of the kind. I simply turned your question around, then stated facts. Fedex is doing absolutely nothing, (for hourlies) extra in response to the cut in the rate that corporations will be taxed. The whole announcement was a PR statement unless the 200 million in bonuses and raises are in excess to what was already planned.

Oldfart

I did nothing of the kind. I simply turned your question around, then stated facts. Fedex is doing absolutely nothing, (for hourlies) extra in response to the cut in the rate that corporations will be taxed. The whole announcement was a PR statement unless the 200 million in bonuses and raises are in excess to what was already planned.
Isn't giving the raise 6 months earlier than the Oct. date doing something?

Isn't dumping money into the pension plan doing something?

Isn't spending $$ on the Indy and Mem hub doing anything?
All the construction jobs and equipment purchases will do wonders for the local economies.
Automation is a must and is the future.

Details are unknown and yet people complain about something that hasn't happened and they don't know all the facts.

bbsam

Staff member

All the construction jobs and equipment purchases will do wonders for the local economies.

Details are unknown and yet people complain about something that hasn't happened and they don't know all the facts.
For Ground? Yes. It is nothing.

floridays

It is not giving back to the employees as other companies have done. Other companies announced what they would do for their employees in response to the tax rate cut. Fedex, in my opinion, makes this statement where they are not left behind. As I said, if this action is not in excess of previously planned bumps in compensation, it is merely show and has absolutely nothing to do with the tax rate changes. Fedex masters this sleight of hand and their target is exceptional public relations.

bbsam

Staff member
It is not giving back to the employees as other companies have done. Other companies announced what they would do for their employees in response to the tax rate cut. Fedex, in my opinion, makes this statement where they are not left behind. As I said, if this action is not in excess of previously planned bumps in compensation, it is merely show and has absolutely nothing to do with the tax rate changes. Fedex masters this sleight of hand and their target is exceptional public relations.
Nothing new there.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

You're getting an additional six months of higher pay. For a FT employee who works 40 hours a week, that's an additional $1000.

SmithBarney

If they Raise in April18, and then not again til Oct2019... then over 24months there is no NET cost difference to FDX. Now basically its all speculation until they come up with a solid announcement.

SmithBarney

You're getting an additional six months of higher pay. For a FT employee who works 40 hours a week, that's an additional $1000.

Yes, potentially... but it all hinges on what my last post says.
there are multiple speculations:
-Raises moved to Aprils "permanently", then yes everyone has basically 6months acceleration on raises.
-This is a one time raise, and we'll continue again in Oct18
-We go to twice a year raises, so again in Oct18, Apr19, Oct19.... etc
-Raises remain in OCT, but this years will be waived because of the Apr PayAction, thus waiting til Oct19 til next raise, if this is the case, then FDX is not really giving much of anything if we have to wait 18months for the next raise, and we'll be right back where we would have been anyway.

Until then we just wait...I'll welcome my new paycheck, but will be seriously bummed if it turns out to be the last option(listed above)