Fired SR employees

Serf

Does anyone know how long time hourly employees who are fired collect pension, etc? For example: 30 year courier fired for DUI. I have heard you have to work with your manager and Senior to retire. That's a little hard if you're :censored2: canned.

vantexan

Does anyone know how long time hourly employees who are fired collect pension, etc? For example: 30 year courier fired for DUI. I have heard you have to work with your manager and Senior to retire. That's a little hard if you're :censored2: canned.
If they are fully vested and a 30 year employee is, then they can take their traditional pension as early as 55. Complete the packet from retirement service center. Manager and HR rep have to sign off that they've left the company. That's a formality, and mgr can't hold back on that. If they fail to get that info in by certain point in the month then pension can't start until following month. For example Retirement Service Center told me they had to have info in by Jan 10th or my payment would start March 1st instead of February 1st. However you'd get paid for February also on March 1st. In other words they can't beat you out of a month's pension. The only other thing the mgr does is verify whether they are ok to rehire. Obviously with a DUI they won't be. If the retiree is categorized as do not rehire then they aren't eligible for shipping discount, one of the few perks retirees get. Since this individual was fired they might want to look into unemployment benefits, etc first and wait on taking pension to get a bigger pension check later. Every year before 60 they take it reduces it 3%.

vantexan

The 401k money will be delayed 45 days by Vanguard. FedEx requirement. Their portable pension money will be distributed at same time as first pension check. That's how mine was. When I quit in 2013 it was about 6 weeks before I got portable pension money because it was too late in month for them to cut check. So if he hasn't got info in at this point he's probably looking at August to get money.

It will be fine

If they are fully vested and a 30 year employee is, then they can take their traditional pension as early as 55. Complete the packet from retirement service center. Manager and HR rep have to sign off that they've left the company. That's a formality, and mgr can't hold back on that. If they fail to get that info in by certain point in the month then pension can't start until following month. For example Retirement Service Center told me they had to have info in by Jan 10th or my payment would start March 1st instead of February 1st. However you'd get paid for February also on March 1st. In other words they can't beat you out of a month's pension. The only other thing the mgr does is verify whether they are ok to rehire. Obviously with a DUI they won't be. If the retiree is categorized as do not rehire then they aren't eligible for shipping discount, one of the few perks retirees get. Since this individual was fired they might want to look into unemployment benefits, etc first and wait on taking pension to get a bigger pension check later. Every year before 60 they take it reduces it 3%.
He'll likely be denied unemployment if he got fired for a DUI.

Serf

Good info. Of course FedEx would challenge it if they did give it to him.
Pretty thorough. Thanks. I feel bad pretty bad. But you reap what you sow. The guy is 58 so I think he's trying to cash out and just figure out what to do next.

!Retired!

He'll likely be denied unemployment if he got fired for a DUI.
It automatically disqualifies you from unemployment benefits.

"If you were terminated by the employer for getting a DUI conviction, that may well constitute "misconduct" as that term is applied by the EDD. Misconduct will disqualify you from unemployment benefits"

It will be fine

It automatically disqualifies you from unemployment benefits.

"If you were terminated by the employer for getting a DUI conviction, that may well constitute "misconduct" as that term is applied by the EDD. Misconduct will disqualify you from unemployment benefits"
The employer still has to challenge the claim for it to be denied. I assume FedEx challenges everything. It doesn't hurt to file if for nothing else than making busy work for HR. He may get lucky and Fedex messes something up, but I wouldn't count on it.

vantexan

Knew a 17 yr courier in New Mexico. Alcoholic, but hadn't drank in 7 years. His two daughters got into a car wreck, one was killed, the other in critical condition. He got some alcohol, came to work with it on his breath. Was fired, no consideration. Still bothers me thinking about it.

Nolimitz

I work with a CCR w/ a DUI who stepped down to csr. she is waiting for a new ccr position to open to start over. she is not allowed to bid on open rtes however. Mgt discretion on termination here

!Retired!

The employer still has to challenge the claim for it to be denied. I assume FedEx challenges everything. It doesn't hurt to file if for nothing else than making busy work for HR. He may get lucky and Fedex messes something up, but I wouldn't count on it.
Unemployment will deny it if he puts down he was fired for DUI. It's extra work for himself, not FedEx.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unemployment will deny it if he puts down he was fired for DUI. It's extra work for himself, not FedEx.

...and if he does file and fails to disclose the DUI he will have to repay any benefits that he receives once the reason for his dismissal is made known...

We are required to report DWI/DUI's within 24 hours.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
...and if he does file and fails to disclose the DUI he will have to repay any benefits that he receives once the reason for his dismissal is made known...

We are required to report DWI/DUI's within 24 hours.
We are required to report before we get behind the wheel of a FedEx vehicle. Some people though keep their mouth shut thinking they will go to court and beat the charge. That's where the firing comes in.

dezguy

We are required to report before we get behind the wheel of a FedEx vehicle. Some people though keep their mouth shut thinking they will go to court and beat the charge. That's where the firing comes in.
Hell, I worked with a guy who got a DUI; didn't report it. Tried to fight it and lost his license for a year; didn't report it and kept on working.

Management never pulled a license check or asked to see his license on a check ride. No one even knew for years that this guy worked as a courier, without a license and no one found out till the day he retired, almost a decade later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local newspaper has a daily Police Log in which it lists, among other things, all DWI's. Kind of hard to keep it quiet.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hell, I worked with a guy who got a DUI; didn't report it. Tried to fight it and lost his license for a year; didn't report it and kept on working.

Management never pulled a license check or asked to see his license on a check ride. No one even knew for years that this guy worked as a courier, without a license and no one found out till the day he retired, almost a decade later.
Huge management fail!