Forced to work Saturday Xmas eve?

in the good old days we were all off by 5. Now they have guys out till 10/11. Many families particularly of Spanish decent celebrate chrissmas on Christmas Eve, if ups made an effort to get us out at a reasonable hour I would agree with you.

Because an employee may have family in from out of town or country, only sees them a few times/once a year and doesn't want to literally miss their whole nights activities and instead calls in is none of your business.

Besides that this year it's sat. My bid route is a Mon-fri route. You guys act like Christmas comes out of no where and it's not ups fault for trying to cut routes and maximinize profited

Let's add this to the fact that going out of town for thanksgiving to visit family is basically off the thanks to Black Friday!!! Can you understand that to some quality time family is the most important to them?
Unfortunately you signed up for this when you started working here.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
in the good old days we were all off by 5. Now they have guys out till 10/11. Many families particularly of Spanish decent celebrate chrissmas on Christmas Eve, if ups made an effort to get us out at a reasonable hour I would agree with you.

Because an employee may have family in from out of town or country, only sees them a few times/once a year and doesn't want to literally miss their whole nights activities and instead calls in is none of your business.

Besides that this year it's sat. My bid route is a Mon-fri route. You guys act like Christmas comes out of no where and it's not ups fault for trying to cut routes and maximinize profit
But times have changed. I remember getting off by 3 my first few Xmas Eve's. Now volume is much more. It's not like they are cutting routes to keep us out. Except the ones they have to cut for people that call in. The consumer is ordering stuff much much later than the good old days.

My wife's family is Italian. Xmas eve is their big night. I don't make it most years. I knew that when I took the job.

Faceplanted

Unfortunately you signed up for this when you started working here.
I signed up for 4 day thanksgiving weekends, and management making a valiant effort to get us off at a reasonable hour on Christmas Eve. Both of those are gone.... so no technically I did not sign up for this

We have been understaffed all peak, with proper staffing 60 hour work weeks and working till 10:30 on Christmas Eve would not be an issue. But they are more worried about maximizing profit.

I signed up for 4 day thanksgiving weekends, and management making a valiant effort to get us off at a reasonable hour on Christmas Eve. Both of those are gone.... so no technically I did not sign up for this

We have been understaffed all peak, with proper staffing 60 hour work weeks and working till 10:30 on Christmas Eve would not be an issue. But they are more worried about maximizing profit.
Maybe people will vote the next contract down?

But times have changed. I remember getting off by 3 my first few Xmas Eve's. Now volume is much more. It's not like they are cutting routes to keep us out. Except the ones they have to cut for people that call in. The consumer is ordering stuff much much later than the good old days.

My wife's family is Italian. Xmas eve is their big night. I don't make it most years. I knew that when I took the job.
It used be like that for good Friday too. You ran all day get done at 2 or 3 o'clock and got paid for 8 hours.

Not anymore

By The Book

I'm pretty sure you are like the rest of us who work here. We applied at UPS not knowing how the whole union/contract thing worked. We didn't know that contract language could change, some better some worse. You signed up for it alright it's just that at that time the holiday language may of been scheduled more to your benefit.

Faceplanted

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years well he working Christmas morn. Times change right!!!! Something something e commerce.

At what point are you guys willing to put your foot down and say enough is enough..... or 95% of people are just cowards and will do whatever they are told because boxes need to be delivered.

We need to take care of the customer right!!! Yet every day we leave the building, run air in trace and Miss service

And FYI ever contract I have been through has gotten way worse minus re 9-5 language change in the recent one.

By The Book

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years well he working Christmas morn. Times change right!!!! Something something e commerce.

At what point are you guys willing to put your foot down and say enough is enough..... or 95% of people are just cowards and will do whatever they are told because boxes need to be delivered.

We need to take care of the customer right!!! Yet every day we leave the building, run air in trace and Miss service
It's the nature of the beast. People order stuff and we deliver stuff, it's that simple. Are you being told everyday to run air in trace, or just when you get out too late? If you're telling your sup that you won't get done if you deliver your air on time and they reply to run it in trace, don't complain about the poor service.

Faceplanted

It's the nature of the beast. People order stuff and we deliver stuff, it's that simple. Are you being told everyday to run air in trace, or just when you get out too late? If you're telling your sup that you won't get done if you deliver your air on time and they reply to run it in trace, don't complain about the poor service.
It's very simple. Ups could staff properly. This is not on us, this is on management

We get to area right around 1030 every day due to leaving the building late. We are being "forced" to work Christmas Eve for the sake of providing the customer the service they pay for, yet every day I have 10 late air. Do you see the contridiction?

It's very simple. Ups could staff properly. This is not on us, this is on management

We get to area right around 1030 every day due to leaving the building late. We are being "forced" to work Christmas Eve for the sake of providing the customer the service they pay for, yet every day I have 10 late air. Do you see the contridiction?
Try to run out of hours during the week.