Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
image.jpg
you are missing the point .
He does that quite often and seems especially enamored with his new caption app.

happybob

Feeders
The question is will the hubs and Feeders be working. We all know a lot of preloaders and package car drivers are working.
Yes, Feeders are also working. Sign was posted at my location that says all Feeder and Shifter employees that normally work on Friday must report at their regular reporting time. It will be a normal work day throughout the country, just like Veterans and Columbus Day. Will the volume picked up that day be the same as a regular Friday? Probably not, since most of our customers close down for that day. Is this a knee jerk reaction by the company, due to the problems associated with last Christmas? Most likely it is. However, one can reasonably assume that delivery volume for the remainder of peak has been lightened, to the extent of taking a days worth of deliveries out of the system earlier than we have in the past. I'm not 100% sure that it's a bad idea!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
you are missing the point .
He does that quite often and seems especially enamored with his new caption app.

No, I didn't miss the point and I don't post enough to feel enamored in it, just find it funny as do others.

I also find funny that grown men cry that they have to work when it's always been a working holiday. Honestly, UPS's decision was the correct one and will be the norm for the rest of our lives. As long as stores put out Xmas decorations the day after Halloween, We'll be in full blown service mode with all hands on deck. The point you both miss is that UPS is willing to pay every full time employee 80 plus an hour that day because it is that important. Seniority buys you a lot of things in this career, but being arrogant because things aren't like it was way back then isn't one of them.

So keep on being unhappy with your career choice in the service industry, I could care less. Go ahead and book off that day, no Teamster rep alive will get you those 8 or 16 hours of Thanksgiving holiday pay back into your check. Again I could care less what your choice is.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, Feeders are also working. Sign was posted at my location that says all Feeder and Shifter employees that normally work on Friday must report at their regular reporting time. It will be a normal work day throughout the country, just like Veterans and Columbus Day. Will the volume picked up that day be the same as a regular Friday? Probably not, since most of our customers close down for that day. Is this a knee jerk reaction by the company, due to the problems associated with last Christmas? Most likely it is. However, one can reasonably assume that delivery volume for the remainder of peak has been lightened, to the extent of taking a days worth of deliveries out of the system earlier than we have in the past. I'm not 100% sure that it's a bad idea!

You state that "most of our customers close down for that day". I wonder how many of those who used to close because we were closed will now open because we will be working. I know that Walmart, which never used to be open on Black Friday, is accepting deliveries. Our local college had the option of being open or closed and decided to be open just long enough to accept their delivery. I am on vacation that week so it doesn't really matter to me but I have been asking my biggest customers and so far only one of them is closing and even they may have someone come in to meet our driver.

Will it have an impact? As brownmonster said, it should make for a lighter Monday, but it won't really make a big difference overall.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No, I didn't miss the point and I don't post enough to feel enamored in it, just find it funny as do others.

I also find funny that grown men cry that they have to work when it's always been a working holiday. Honestly, UPS's decision was the correct one and will be the norm for the rest of our lives. As long as stores put out Xmas decorations the day after Halloween, We'll be in full blown service mode with all hands on deck. The point you both miss is that UPS is willing to pay every full time employee 80 plus an hour that day because it is that important. Seniority buys you a lot of things in this career, but being arrogant because things aren't like it was way back then isn't one of them.

So keep on being unhappy with your career choice in the service industry, I could care less. Go ahead and book off that day, no Teamster rep alive will get you those 8 or 16 hours of Thanksgiving holiday pay back into your check. Again I could care less what your choice is.
:bpotd:Heff... is awesome!
That is all.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Will it have an impact? As brownmonster said, it should make for a lighter Monday, but it won't really make a big difference overall.

I think it will make a bigger impact then you think. With that extra night of hub and feeder work, more packages will cross the country than just having a Sunday sort. Monday will be just as heavy as we're use to. We will actually have a step up in that big Black Friday/Cyber Monday week of deliveries.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

At the union meeting this morning had a couple things shared for the upcoming Black Friday fiasco:

Concerning calling out on Black Friday and thus not getting paid those holidays : we were told according to the contract someone only has to report their regularly scheduled days, of which Black Friday, according to the contract, is not one. We were warned that the company will in all liklihood attempt to say, "Well, we had him scheduled to work Friday, so he didn't show up," but the union is going to point back to the contract, which is clear.

Something else that was interesting: apparently Walmart and Target (or maybe it's Amazon) has extended Black Friday sales to every weekend in November starting on Nov 1st. So rather than have to wait until Black Friday to get those deals, some have been buying their items for close to two weeks now. Hence, already things are being changed as far as plans.

Last night we had a volunteer list posted to work on Black Friday, where as in September the union was told it was regular day (holiday pay stipulations in place, of course), and everyone was working. Now, the volunteer list had 60 spots to be filled, and my center normally sends out 54 trips, but the dispatch supe said he is planning at least 56, so the posting of the list is really more about show. However, in September, it was made to seem there would be no list,for there were to be no "volunteers".

I'm sure things will continue to change right up until the day before Thanksgiving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Walmart is extending Black Friday to the entire week.

Target is offering free shipping throughout the season.

Who the hell knows what amazon has planned---I'm sure they won't tell us till the last minute. :)

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Black Friday is a working holiday which means it is a scheduled day to work.

Not denying he said it but, talk about being fed bad info from your union representative.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

One other note of caution mentioned at the meeting: UPS keeps saying the day after Black Friday is going to be a "regular day"; it's not a regular day, meaning there isn't an automatic 8hr guarantee. Hence, we were told to file 8 hr requests to cover our butts, lest they dispatch us 5 hrs of work and tell us it being a holiday it is only "time worked" (even if everyone worked, we are still getting paid for the holiday in addition to time worked; the company will probably try to change that come next contract. I am going on record as stating that one change for me will cause me to vote "no".)

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Just to be sure Heff, could you give me the article discussing "working holidays" in the contract? I'd like to see that myself. I've seen the information concerning rules surrounding holiday pay, and I believe I missed the info on "working holidays".

happybob

Feeders
For me there is a little section that says if my Regular work day starts or stops on a holiday then it is straight time. SO, UPS starts us at 1159 PM. but my entire shift is worked on a holiday!!!
SUCKS... but oh well
I'm a little confused on your post. If you "start or stop on a holiday then it is straight time"? I understand it this way, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Your scheduled work day starts at 23:59 the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving Day, since you didn't report on a Holiday, but had part of your night end on a holiday, you are paid straight time.
Your Thanksgiving Holiday starts at 23:59 Thanksgiving Night and you are not required to report for work, since it is your official Thanksgiving Holiday but you get paid for the holiday? The day after Thanksgiving would start at 23:59 Friday evening and you don't have to report and you get paid for the holiday?
If you are to report at 23:59 Thanksgiving Evening, or 23:59 Friday evening you should be getting premium pay/double time pay(depending on your supplement) plus the holiday pay for all hours worked, no?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just to be sure Heff, could you give me the article discussing "working holidays" in the contract? I'd like to see that myself. I've seen the information concerning rules surrounding holiday pay, and I believe I missed the info on "working holidays".

https://web.archive.org/web/2013050...es/default/files/New_England_Supplement_0.pdf
Article 60 Section 2 in our NE Supplement states, All employees required to work on any such (holi)day shall be paid the applicable premium rate in addition of the holiday pay.
In laymans terms, If they require you to work that day and you don't, you're SOL
If they don't require you (give you the day off), then you get the holiday pay.
I'm sure they will go down the seniority list and make sure they grant days in that order or it would lead to grievances.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is nothing in the Master which covers working holidays; however, our supplement covers this. Basically if you are forced to work on a UPS holiday you will receive a day's pay plus hours worked (at straight time). You must work the day before and after the holiday to receive the holiday pay. There are other exclusions for new and laid off employees which don't really apply here.

happybob

Feeders
The technical term is called "pyramiding".

It's the same thing, if you work a 6th punch.

You're already at a premium rate.... you don't get more overtime after 8 hours.

-Bug-
New England we only get 1 1/2(premium pay) for working the holiday, but after 10 hour worked its 1 1/2 times the premium rate of pay. A 13 hour day would be lovely!