Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

E-commerce has changed the way that we do business.

When you stop and think about it for a second, we were among the minority of businesses who were closed on Black Friday; in fact, many of these were closed because we were closed. Several businesses on my route that were always closed on Black Friday will now be open because we are working. Walmart never accepted deliveries on Black Friday but now that we are working and they are changing the way that they do Black Friday the dock will be open for deliveries. Our local college had the option of being open or closed and has decided to open just long enough to accept deliveries. I'll bet we can all cite examples of businesses that will now be open because we will be working.

We will receive holiday pay for Black Friday for the duration of the contract but will no longer have that day off. It would be incredibly inappropriate for the Union to unilaterally agree to amend the contract by foregoing holiday pay for that day.

There has been talk on this forum of UPS agreeing to give us another day off (Veteran's Day?) but it has been my experience that once you lose a perk you never get it back.

The company will monitor the impact that working Black Friday has on the operation before deciding whether or not to close out that week for vacations and/or do the same with New Year's Eve. Both of those changes would be part of the negotiations for 2018.

CHALLY9TX

Can't blame the union. Ups operated the day after thanksgiving anyway. It just that now we're doing ground and pick ups. Anyone working that day will be compensated quite well.

Last edited:

CHALLY9TX

When you stop and think about it for a second, we were among the minority of businesses who were closed on Black Friday; in fact, many of these were closed because we were closed. Several businesses on my route that were always closed on Black Friday will now be open because we are working. Walmart never accepted deliveries on Black Friday but now that we are working and they are changing the way that they do Black Friday the dock will be open for deliveries. Our local college had the option of being open or closed and has decided to open just long enough to accept deliveries. I'll bet we can all cite examples of businesses that will now be open because we will be working.

We will receive holiday pay for Black Friday for the duration of the contract but will no longer have that day off. It would be incredibly inappropriate for the Union to unilaterally agree to amend the contract by foregoing holiday pay for that day.

There has been talk on this forum of UPS agreeing to give us another day off (Veteran's Day?) but it has been my experience that once you lose a perk you never get it back.

The company will monitor the impact that working Black Friday has on the operation before deciding whether or not to close out that week for vacations and/or do the same with New Year's Eve. Both of those changes would be part of the negotiations for 2018.

My Walmart won't be accepting deliveries that day. :)

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I am gonna work voluntarily......not for the money.....just to see how it turns out who shows.....management in total panic.....last year we started at 830 didn't leave the bldg till 11 and that was with airs only........I'm just curious I guess

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I am gonna work voluntarily......not for the money.....just to see how it turns out who shows.....management in total panic.....last year we started at 830 didn't leave the bldg till 11 and that was with airs only........I'm just curious I guess
Some drivers will be a no show, already expecting that and so does management. So if they require everyone to work, they will at least be 80% covered cause i stopped working it a long time ago, its always more hours than they say. Im hoping small loads come in and they just friend up.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

It would make sense to close on Veteran's Day since it's always such a clusterf:censored2:k with all the places that are closed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would make sense to close on Veteran's Day since it's always such a clusterf:censored2:k with all the places that are closed.

This used to be the case but now it is primarily government offices and schools.

I gave my PDS a list of all of my closings, he pulled them from the car and I had zero paid send agains.

It was actually a fairly easy day.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
only govermental stuff is closed, but it would make sense cause the post office is not delivering so i cant slip a small one in with mail.lol!

TheKid

Day after Thanksgiving is a regular work and the pay will be the same as Veteran's Day and Columbus Day. At least in ,y area.